Dana Barrett was the first customer of the Ghostbusters. Dana Barrett was a professional musician living in New York. She played cello in "a major symphony orchestra," presumably the New York Philharmonic.
- 1 History
- 2 Primary Canon History
- 3 Secondary Canon History
- 4 Trivia
- 5 Appearances
- 6 References
- 7 Gallery
Primary Canon History
Dana lived in 2206 on the 22nd floor in the same building as Louis Tully off of Central Park West. In 1984, after grocery shopping, she took a yellow taxi cab home. Dana slowly got out, holding a paper grocery bag filled to the brim in her right arm and a cello case with her left arm. She used her right leg to close the door. After the taxi left, she looked right, then left, then right as she crossed. Cars drove past. A sedan in the middle of the street braked and honked at her. Dana got off the elevator on her floor. A neighbor, with a New York Times, tucked under his right arm was waiting for it. Dana greeted him. He replied back as he got in the elevator. Dana went down the hall. Louis Tully popped his head out of his apartment. He was in a blue tracksuit and wore a pair of Adidas. They greeted each other. Louis remarked he thought it was the drugstore. Dana paused and asked if he was sick. Louis said he was fine and he just ordered some more vitamins and stuff. He revealed he was just exercising. Dana eyed her door then turned back to Louis. Louis revealed he taped a 20-minute Workout and played it back at high speed on his machine so it only took ten minutes. Dana was losing interest. Louis offered her inside for a mineral water. Dana turned him down saying she would really like to, but she had to go rehearsal. She continued on. He followed. Louis took a rain check on that and told her he always had plenty of low sodium mineral water and other nutritious foods in the house but she already knew that. Dana lowered her case. Dana dryly commented she knew that like she was told this many many times. Louis remembered he was having a big party for his clients. Dana handed her grocery bag to him to hold while she opened her door. It was his fourth anniversary as an accountant. Even though she filed her own own tax return, which he thought she shouldn't do, he still invited her to the party because she was his neighbor and all. Dana smiled and thanked him. She promised she would really try to stop by. Louis continued that she shouldn't leave her TV on so loud when went out. He told her the creep down the hall phoned the manager. A confused look came on Dana's face. She looked inside her apartment. Dana admitted she didn't realize she left it on. Louis revealed he climbed on the ledge and tried to disconnect the cable, but he couldn't get in, so he turned his TV up real loud too so everyone would think all the TVs had something wrong with them. Dana quickly told him bye and closed the door on him. Unfazed, Louis continued and told her he would see her later and would give her a call. He announced he was going to go have a shower. He tried to open his door but he locked himself out.
Dana watched a commercial for the Ghostbusters on her living room TV. She smirked and turned it off. Settled into her apartment at last, she put her bags down on the counter and began putting things away. She started taking her groceries out on the table: lettuce, a bag of Stay Puft Marshmallows, a carton of eggs then walked over to a cabinet and put some boxes away. The phenomena began. The carton opened by itself. Eggs popped out of their shells and began frying on her kitchen counter and her refrigerator was making a strange noise and emitting a very bright light. Upon opening the door, she saw an otherworldly mythic pyramid-shaped temple in front of which laid a Terror Dog who suddenly glared at her and roared the word "Zuul!" at her. Frightened, she slammed the refrigerator door shut, screaming, and left her apartment. Two days later, she showed up at the Firehouse to get some help from the boys in grey. She seemed to be a skeptic regarding the paranormal, but was convinced that "something" had happened in her apartment. Dana asked Janine Melnitz if she was in the Ghostbusters' office. Janine confirmed that and asked how she could help her. Peter Venkman peaked up from his office like a gopher out of its hole. Dana admitted she didn't have an appointment but wanted to talk to someone. Peter bolted to them. He narrowly jumped over the office gate. Peter introduced himself. Dana cautioned what she had to say may sound a little unusual. Peter joked that's all they got day in, day out. He invited her into his office.
Dana was hooked up to the Aura Video-Analyzer upstairs on the second floor. She recounted her ordeal to them precisely. Peter remarked you generally did not see that kind of behavior in a major appliance. He asked her what she thought it was. Egon removed the diodes from her head. Dana got annoyed and told him if she knew what it was, she would not have come. Peter asked Egon what he thought. Egon noted Dana was telling the truth or at least, she thought she was. Dana stammered she was telling the truth and asked who would make up a story like that. Peter informed her they ran into some people who just wanted attention and a lot of nutballs who came in off the street. Ray speculated it could be a case of past life experience intruding on present time. Egon thought it could be erased memories stored in the collective unconscious, clairvoyance, or telepathic contact. Dana was skeptical and scoffed. She apologized and admitted she did not believe in any of those things. Peter assured her he did not either. Peter walked behind Dana and gestured to Ray and Egon to make something up as he told her there were standard procedures they did in cases hers that gave them results. Ray figured he could go down to hall of records and check out the structural details in the building. He guessed the building itself could have a history of psychic turbulence. Peter nodded and agreed. Egon suggested he could look for the name Zuul in the usual literature. Ray thought of Spates Catalog. Egon mentioned Tobin's Spirit Guide. Dana calmed down. Peter suggested he would take Dana back to her apartment and check her out. She looked up at him. Peter corrected himself and stated he would go check out her apartment. He turned to her. She nodded okay.
Peter and Dana went to her apartment to investigate the case and antagonized her with his inappropriate flirtatious attitude. Dana slowly opened her door and inched in. Peter swung the door open and asked her to let him go first in case something happened. He bolted over to her and opened the door behind her. He pointed the Ghost Sniffer around. Dana noted that was just the closet. Peter went to the piano. He lifted the cover and played the two highest notes over and over. He remarked the ghosts hated the sound. Peter warned the non-existent ghosts he was present. He stayed in the middle of the room and used the Sniffer. Dana looked around and started to take her coat off. Peter remarked the apartment had a lot of space. He asked her if she lived alone. She confirmed it. He noted, "Good." She pondered what he meant. He looked at some books stacked on a table. She asked what he was doing with his device. Peter told her it was technical and it was one of their "little toys." He quickly went to another door. Dana told him that was the bedroom, but nothing ever happened in there. Peter looked inside then closed the door and remarked what a crime that was. Dana paused then noted he did not act like a scientist. Peter surmised she meant they were usually pretty stiff. She believed he was more like a game show host. Peter was at a loss. He turned his head and asked her if that was the kitchen. She nodded.
Peter pushed the door open. Dana turned the light on. Everything was still there from when Dana left. Peter tossed the paper bag aside. Peter saw the eggs on the counter and asked her if those were the ones. She confirmed and recounted where she was standing when they just jumped right out of their shells and started to cook on the counter. Peter agreed that was weird. Dana continued and told him that was when she heard that awful noise coming from the refrigerator. Peter lifted up the lettuce and the cooked eggs. Dana asked him if he wanted to check the refrigerator. Peter thought that was a good call. She sighed. Peter slowly opened the refrigerator a crack and remarked, "Oh, my God." Dana became worried. Peter opened it wider and addressed all the junk food. Dana got frustrated. Peter took out an Oscar Mayer pack and asked her if she actually ate it. Dana took it away and exclaimed she saw a big space. Peter lifted the lid off a ceramic dish, it didn't smell good to him. She pointed out there was a building or something with flames coming out of it, there were creatures writhing around growling and snarling, and she heard a voice say "Zuul." Peter apologized and told her he was not getting any reading. Dana questioned if he was using the Sniffer correctly. Peter thought he was and confirmed there were no animals in there. Dana resigned herself to the face there was a monster in her kitchen or she was completely crazy. Peter told her he did not think she was crazy. Dana sarcastically replied she felt so much better. She walked away.
Peter followed her back into the living room and told her he came home from work to my place, and all I had was his work. He sat down. Before Dana could speak, Peter continued and claimed she had the same problem he had. She curtly identified that problem as him. Peter went for broke and admitted he was madly in love with her. She scoffed and looked away from him then asked him to leave. Peter self-narrated about being thrown out of her life, guessed she thought he was a creep and a geek, and she probably was not the first. Dana remarked he was so odd. Peter stopped at the front door and turned to her. She said, "No." Peter declared he got it. She repeated, "No" many times. Peter stated he would prove himself to her. She countered that was not necessary. She started to guide him to the door. Peter believed solving her problem would get her thinking about what made him tick and she was going to be thinking about him after he left. Dana smiled and bet she would. Before she could completely close the door, Peter stuck his face back in and asked for a kiss. She pushed his face out the door and slammed it shut
Later Ghostbusters, Inc. took off and the guys got busy with other cases. Dana Barrett performed sit-ups on the floor of her living room while she watched a news report from WABC-TV's Roger Grimsby. Grimsby greeted his viewers and reported the entire eastern seaboard was alive with talk of incidents of paranormal activity, alleged ghost sightings and related supernatural occurrences had been reported across the entire tri-state area. Dana stopped doing her sit ups and watched with intent. Dana listened to Casey Kasem on her Panasonic radio in her kitchen while she chopped vegetables. She took a drink and chuckled at the notion of the Ghostbusters dancing at The Rose after they caught a ghost. Dana watched Joe Franklin on a small TV while she stringed her cello. She was out of the shower, in a robe and had a towel wrapped around her head. Joe was interviewing Ray and asked him how Elvis was doing, and if he saw him lately. Peter had stopped by at one of her orchestra rehearsals. Dana and a Violinist, was interested her as well, exited Avery Fisher Hall at the Lincoln Center. They talked about a bad guest conductor. Dana remarked someone should tell him that it was not going to do much good to scream at them in German. The Violinist commented he was not competent to conduct a major symphony orchestra. Dana looked up straight ahead. She saw Peter near the fountain hopping in a line on one leg. He was in his flightsuit wearing an orange jacket. Dana asked the Violinist to wait a minute then walked over to Peter. Peter told her that was a wonderful rehearsal. Dana was surprised he heard that. Peter told her she was the best one in her row. She thanked him and noted most people could not hear her with the whole orchestra playing. Peter retorted he did not have to take that abuse from her because he had hundreds of people dying to abuse him. The Violinist circled them and sat down at the fountain. Dana noted he was a celebrity then asked about her case.
Peter noticed the Violinist. He asked her, "Who's the stiff?" She answered, "The stiff happens to be one of the finest musicians in the world." Peter had found some answers for Dana, but wanted to give them to her in private. She suggested telling her now. Peter complied and revealed they found the name Zuul. It was a demigod worshiped around 6000 B.C. but Peter paused and asked how to say a word. Dana leaned in and looked at his paper. She pronounced Hittites for him. He continued and said Zuul was worshiped by the Hittites, the Mesopotamians and the Sumerians. Dana took the paper and read the notes. She read out loud that Zuul was the minion of Gozer. She asked what Gozer was. Peter hinted Gozer was very big in Sumeria. She wanted to know what Gozer was doing in her refrigerator. Peter assured her they were working on it and suggested getting together Thursday night, around nine-ish, to exchange information. Dana smiled and told him she was busy. Peter observed she seemed to think there was something wrong up with her thinking he enjoyed taking his evenings off and spending it with his clients. Peter claimed he was making a special exception in your case because he respected her as an artist and as a dresser. He admired the "magnificent coordination" she was wearing. Dana agreed to see him on Thursday. He promised to bring The Roylance Guide to Secret Societies and Sects and they would eat and read. Dana walked away, turned her head slightly, then continued to the Violinist. They continued walking. The Violinist looked at Peter. Peter acknowledged him. The Violinist somewhat jealously asked who the hell Peter was. Dana replied he was just a friend. The Violinist wasn't buying it. Dana clarified he was an old friend. Peter shouted he would see her Thursday and apologized to the Violinist about not getting to meet him. Peter added he was glad the Violinist was feeling much better but thought he still looked very pale and suggested a little sun. The Violinist asked what Peter did. Dana told him Peter was a scientist.
The night of her date with Peter, Dana took the elevator to her floor. She popped something in her mouth from a paper bag and tried to sneak past Louis Tully's door. He popped out to greet her. Louis invited her in and called it a classic party. Dana admitted she had a date. Louis was shocked. He walked up to her. His door closed. Dana apologized and told him she forgot about the party. She walked away looking guilty. There was a pause. Louis told her it was okay and she could bring him along. Dana's guilt vanished and she grinned. She promised they might stop by. She went into her apartment. Louis replied that was great and he was going to tell everyone the good news. Dana snacked, placed her purse down, took off her scarf and outer wear. She turned on a lamp and took a shoe off. The phone rang. It was Dana's mother. Dana told her she was busy as she took off her other shoe. She assured her everything was fine. She confirmed it was just that one time something went wrong. Dana made some promises to her mother. Dana revealed she had a date to get ready for. She told her it wasn't anyone she knew. Dana revealed he was a Ghostbuster. She confirmed it was one of "those guys on TV." She promised to let her know. Dana told her to give her love to Dad and told her mother goodbye. She hung up and exhaled. She sat back. A Terror Dog's head pressed against the kitchen door from the inside. A growl caught her attention. She stared and swore. She was attacked by animal-like claws ripping through her sofa. A hairy dog-like arm shot out of her armchair and grabbed her. She screamed. Another shot out of the sofa and covered her mouth. Another held her leg down. The armchair swiveled around to face the kitchen. The door opened. Zuul, the Terror Dog, roared savagely. The chair sped off and rushed towards the kitchen. Dana screamed in horror as the claws restrained her to her sofa as and she tried to struggle to get free. The door closed behind her.
When Peter showed up for his date, he found Dana possessed by Zuul. She referred to herself as "The Gatekeeper" and spoke of awaiting the coming of Gozer, "The Destructor". Dana's primary objective was to find and mate with Vinz Clortho, another minion of Gozer who had likewise now inhabited Dana's nerdy, stalkerish neighbor, Louis. Under Zuul's control, Dana became a lot more sensual and sexually aggressive, desperately attempting to seduce Peter under the false impression that he was The Keymaster. Peter steadfastly refused her advances realizing she was possessed, he ignored "Zuul" and continued asking to speak to "Dana" which frustrated her to the point she began growling like a beast and magically levitating above her bed.
Dana was later sedated by Peter, waking up once the Ghostbusters' Firehouse exploded, unleashing all of the ghosts into the city. Upon witnessing the massive release of supernatural energy, she blew out her living room wall with an inhuman roar to leave a way for The Keymaster to eventually find her. Dana and Louis, the real Vinz Clortho, finally meet at her demolished apartment, the two demons kissed lustfully before Dana led Louis toward an ominous staircase up to the rooftop Temple where they then consummated their union in order to bring Gozer into this world. Upon climaxing Dana and Louis rested briefly atop a large stone table before taking their inhabitants ritual positions on top of the opposite stone pedestals once occupied by Terror Dog statues. The demonic couple awaited anxiously for the right moment to complete ritual to bring their master into the world. Upon realizing this moment both possessed beings raised their arms to the sky and were struck by bolts of lightning shooting out from the top of the Temple, redirecting the supernatural energy toward the Temple doors causing them to open. With the doors open, the birth of Gozer into this world was complete and Dana and Louis finished their summoning ritual by transforming into the satanic Terror Dog forms of their inhabitants, Zuul and Vinz Clortho. The Ghostbusters arrived just in time to see Dana, shaking violently under the supernatural force of the lightning bolts, transform into a savage, horned red-eyed beast. Peter was shocked as Dana, in Terror Dog form, turns toward the Ghostbusters, staring menacingly at them with her beaming red eyes ablaze and unleashed a ferocious roar before leaping towards the mythic gateway to take her place beside Gozer.
After the particle flow was reversed by the crossing of the streams and Gozer was defeated, Zuul was banished and Dana transformed back into a human being, having no recollection of the events that she took part of while possessed. They surveyed the damage and saw a charred Terror Dog statue. Ray blurted out that it smelled like barbecued dog hair. He realized his grievous error and apologized to Peter. Peter was melancholy. He turned and looked at Ray then walked away. Part of the statue's arm chipped off and fingers reached out. The claw fell off. Peter turned around. Dana groaned. Ray got everyone's attention. The Ghostbusters broke open the statue with their hands. Peter chopped at the arm. Egon and Winston broke off the top part, Ray pulled at the body, and Peter lifted Dana out. Dana came to. She was in a daze and asked where she was. Dana noticed Peter. She emerged from the building in a robe with a floral print, and was a little embarrassed by the crowds. There was obvious romantic tension between her and Peter. Peter and Dana kissed on the lips. Peter mimicked being overwhelmed. Dana shook the hand of a civilian then walked back to Peter amazed. He escorted her into Ecto-1.
Apparently, things went for the worse between Ms. Barrett and Dr. Venkman. After they grew apart, seemingly due to Dr. Venkman's fear of commitment and taking her for granted, Dana became involved with someone else. Dana and Peter lost touch with each other. Dana got married and had a son they named Oscar. However, their relationship fell apart and he decided to "ditch" her by taking a very good offer from an orchestra in London and thereby breaking up their marriage. She thought of calling up Peter but didn't. Dana hired Maria to provide daycare for Oscar while she worked at the Manhattan Museum of Art in restorations. She was under the very watchful eye of Janosz Poha, the head of the restoration department.
In late 1989, Dana was given a scare when the stroller containing Oscar rolled off to the middle of First Avenue. She went to Egon Spengler for help. He agreed to look into it with Ray Stantz. Dana made it clear she didn't want Peter involved yet still asked about him. Dana admitted they didn't part on very good terms, and sort of lost track of each other after she got married. Amid this crisis, Dana still planned to resign from the museum and return to the orchestra. Peter found out about the investigation and rekindled his relationship with Dana. While preparing to give Oscar a bath, a tub full of slime tried to kidnap him. Dana grabbed Oscar and fled to Peter's apartment. Dana and Oscar stayed there as the Ghostbusters continued their investigation. Dana took it upon herself to clean up Peter's place and even found his hamper.
Peter was able to convince Dana to go out to dinner with him. They went to Armand's Restaurant and became closer. However, the romance was interrupted by the arrival of the other Ghostbusters. Covered in slime and wearing only their long underwear, they made little sense but Dana became alarmed when they revealed the slime flow was heading straight to the Manhattan Museum of Art. After the police took all four of them away, Dana returned to Peter's place and walked in on Louis and Janine making out. Dana went to go check on Oscar. Vigo had chosen Oscar to be his vessel and tasked Janosz with kidnapping him. Dana only watched in horror as an ethereal Janosz swiped Oscar from the apartment window ledge. Dana recognized Janosz and went straight to the museum. She was imprisoned by Vigo. As the New Year arrived, the Ghostbusters arrived to save the world. Dana was restrained once more by Vigo. She implored the Ghostbusters to do something. Peter did his best to stall Vigo and luckily, the singing of bystanders outside weakened Vigo. Peter reunited Oscar with Dana and advised her to take cover. Once Vigo was defeated, Dana and Oscar went outside the museum with the Ghostbusters. She attended a special ceremony on Liberty Island weeks later in honor of the Statue of Liberty and Ghostbusters.
Ghostbusters: The Video Game
After the Ghostbusters return to the Firehouse with the Gozerian Codex, they attempt to make sense of the Mandala. Ilyssa Selwyn reveals a connection it has with Ivo Shandor and his firm's renovations and public works. Egon Spengler mentions Dana and Central Park West. Ray also later mentions both when the team discusses the Mandala upon returning from the Natural History Museum. When the Ghostbusters arrive at Central Park, they see Psychokinetic Atmospheric Influence coming from Shandor's mausoleum. Winston answers Egon's hint that it looks very similar to what happened atop Dana Barrett's building when Gozer first arrived.
Secondary Canon History
Legion Mini Series
Six months after Gozer's defeat, Dana and Peter's relationship was getting rocky. Before leaving on Thursday for the Muncie Music Society's Mozart Festival in Indiana, Dana hoped to spend time with Peter. However, during dinner with Louis, Peter dashed off to join a bust. Peter took her out to the Fireman's Ball. While trying to announce she was promoted to first cello, Dana became frustrated by Peter and his lack of focus. She stormed out of the ball and took a cab home. After Michael Draverhaven was defeated, Peter went to see Dana. Louis attempted to bribe Peter to leave Dana but he declined. Peter offered his cell phone battery to Dana as a gift, implying he finally realized what was wrong. She invited Peter in.
For several weeks after the Gozer incident, Dana and Louis retained mild aggressive tendencies and a taste for rare meat. Weeks after the Gozer incident, Rebecca Morales met with Dana at a diner. Dana correctly guessed what advice Louis gave her then mused it felt like years, not weeks since the incident. She wasn't sure she wanted to talk about everything that happened but promised to answer what she could. Dana recalled Peter told her they technically started out at Columbia University. She admitted she didn't see any of the Ghostbusters as professors, not with students. She stopped herself and asked Rebecca not to put that in the book. Dana met with Rebecca again. She told Dana about Janine's warning that Peter could get cagey when questioned. Dana replied that assessment wasn't wrong and noted his habit of deflecting. She speculated it had to do with Peter studying Psychology to get better at it. She informed Rebecca that Peter joked, tried to anger, or digressed in an odd direction if he didn't like where a conversation was heading. She had no idea why. Rebecca revisited the Thorazine. Dana stated she didn't want that in the book but for the record, she was given a prescription to cure her hiccups. She remembered how Peter reminded her of a game show host.
Some time after the Vigo incident, Dana and Oscar moved into a new apartment at 76 East 85th Street. With Oscar getting older, Dana returned to the orchestra. Every time the Ghostbusters took down a major threat, the paparazzi would descend on them. Peter knew the public attention wasn't good for Dana or Oscar; he tried to do his best for them, but it put a strain on their relationship. Dana and Peter broke up again. Tabloids reported Dana left Peter for an alien. During Winston's wedding, Dana was on the phone to her mother, discussing Oscar spending time with his father. All of a sudden, Dana found herself in Tiamat's Dimension and encountered Tiamat and her Terror Birds. At first, Dana refused to admit a repeat of what had happened to her when Gozer threatened Earth, was happening again, and tried to flee. One of the Terror Birds caught her and wounded her leg. Tiamat asked Dana if being Zuul's host was fate or a coincidence, but Dana was in denial. Next instant, Dana found herself back in her kitchen, her mother still on the phone. Dana assured her she was okay, saying something had come up and she had to go. Dana's leg was bleeding where the Terror Bird had scratched her.
Dana didn't go straight to the Ghostbusters for help as she wanted to keep Oscar safe and to not see Peter. She didn't want the supernatural to mess up her life again. Instead, she called Janine and the two met up at the Pequod's on Columbus next day. Dana gave Janine an updated photo of Oscar, then revealed the wound on her leg. The small talk was disrupted by vehicles floating around outside. Janine respected Dana's request to be discreet and asked her to leave her address on voice mail. Later that day, Dana was visited by Special Agent Melanie Ortiz and Kylie Griffin. Kylie advised Dana to leave the apartment for a few days and stay at the Waltz-Partington Hotel. While she finished packing, Dana phoned her mother and assured her everything was fine. However, Dana discovered a supernaturally-formed brick wall barred her exit, trapping her in the apartment.
In an attempt to free herself, Dana kicked the brick wall only to be met by Tiamat and her Birds on the other side. Dana tried to escape but was restrained and possessed by the female Terror Bird. On Tiamat's instruction, possessed Dana called Peter, all with intention to lure the Ghostbusters. Once they were all gathered outside the apartment, the possessed Louis Tully and Dana Barrett greeted them. Dana was returned to normal after the Ghostbusters crossed the streams to defeat Tiamat. A couple of weeks later, Dana agreed to go to the Firehouse for testing to make sure she wasn't still possessed. During the examination, Dana asked Egon what was going on between him and Janine, but he refused talking about it. Once sprayed with positively charged Psychomagnotheric Slime, the Terror Bird took over and manifested along with Louis.
Egon and Kylie extracted the Female Terror Bird from Dana and safely trapped it. After Egon cleared Louis and Dana, Peter had a moment alone with her. Peter insisted a life of being dogged by Papparazzi wasn't good for Dana and Oscar, despite both missing him. Peter playfully rebuked Dana for seeking help behind his back and informed her this case wouldn't count on her customer loyalty card. Concerned about the noise in the other room, Dana tried to ask Kylie what was going on but was quickly escorted downstairs; the other Ghostbusters tried to deal with Ray, who was possessed by both Gozer and Tiamat. At the conclusion of the Tiamat incident, Dana had Ray double check her apartment for any trace of psychokinetic energy then returned to her day-to-day life.
In an alternate timeline, the Ghostbusters choose not to cross the streams. 31 days later, they agreed to help Gozer shed his Destructor Form and return home. As a compromise, Gozer agreed to halfway restore Dana and Louis. Dana was upset to still have the lower half of Zuul's Terror Dog body. They used Tempore Ruga to send Gozer back in time to before Ray chose the form. In the meantime, Dana helped rip Mini Pufts in half. The timeline corrected itself. Dana regained consciousness. Peter informed her she turned into a dog and came onto him. She didn't believe him on both counts. Roughly an hour later, back at the Firehouse, Dana questioned the age of the Chinese takeout everyone was eating.
- Dana Barrett's character first appeared in Dan Aykroyd and Harold Ramis' first collaborative draft because they realized the story needed a love interest. She was originally an alien fugitive from another dimension which transforms itself into human female form after watching a Diet Coke commercial. Aykroyd and Ramis soon realized the romance was funny but not very romantic.
- In the first collaborative draft, in one scene, Peter was to awake and find Dana in the form of a warthog.
- Aykroyd and Ramis eventually decided to make the love interest a client of the Ghostbusters and thus give more personal motivation for Peter at the same time.
- Julia Roberts auditioned for the role.
- Denise Crosby and Daryl Hannah also auditioned for the role.
- At the 35:00 to 35:15 mark of Cleanin' Up The Town: Remembering Ghostbusters, snippets of Crosby and Hannah's auditions are played.
- Dana Barrett was originally a model but Sigourney Weaver suggested it would be more interesting if she were a musician. According to Harold Ramis, Weaver's suggestions really grew and strengthened the character.
- Dana Barrett's wardrobe was based on costume designer Theoni Aldredge's.
- Dana files her own tax returns.
- A package of Stay-Puft Marshmallows can be seen on her counter when the eggs she buys near the beginning of the movie start exploding.
- Sigourney Weaver suggested Dana's "game show host" and "You are so odd" lines.
- Theoni Aldredge chose a lavender dress for when Dana was possessed by Zuul but Bill Murray suggested orange. Aldredge and Suzy Benzinger took influence from "Flashdance" went with a Jennifer Beals sort of dress.
- For possessed Dana's hair, Sigourney Weaver suggested that it should look like she was electrified, other-earthly, and unlike anything Dana would logically do.
- Dana's rooftop costume at the end of the movie wasn't assigned during early location shooting so Weaver was simply given a robe, leaving the audience to assume she picked it up on the way downstairs.
- In Ghostbusters: The Supernatural Spectacular, Dana has a pillow embroidered with "Souvenir of Fort Hood, Texas." It was from Dana's uncle, who was in the army. Dana's father was a railroad worker for the Boston and Maine, invalided off on a pension. She has two brothers named Doug and Davey. Doug is a The Boston Globe reporter and Davey is center field for the San Diego Padres Major League baseball team.
- In the Ghostbusters II August 5, 1988 draft, Dana Barrett was replaced with a new love interest for Peter named Lane Walker.
- Lane works as a sales associate at Nu Kloze, a contemporary fashion boutique that specializes in very expensive French and Italian designs with the baggiest trousers and the roomiest jackets available, on Madison Avenue.
- Lane goes on a date with Peter to see the Bolshoi Ballet perform "Giselle" at the Lincoln Center's Vivian Beaumont Theater and have a late dinner at Memphis.
- It got to the point that auditions were held for the role of Lane Walker and Bill Murray took part in Ghostbusters II scene reads.
- It has been speculated that the Violinist is the father of Oscar:
- In the Ghostbusters II deleted scene Dana's Curse, Egon theorizes Dana has a genetically-linked emanation that predisposes her to paranormal vulnerability.
- In the February 27, 1989 version of the Ghostbusters II script, during the epilogue scene, Dana states her ancestors were in America since 1620.
- She and Louis Tully are the only major characters to not return in Ghostbusters: The Video Game.
- Unlike Tully, however, Dana never appeared in the animated series.
- Dana is referenced in What in Samhain Just Happened?! on page 17. A party attendee is dressed as Dana appeared after the Ghostbusters defeated Gozer and pulled her from Zuul's remains.
- Dana's game show host line from the first movie is referenced in Peter's biography on a Dramatis Personae Page in Ghostbusters Annual 2017.
- On the Retailer Exclusive Cover of Ghostbusters: Funko Universe, Dana Barrett in the red dress she first wore while possessed by Zuul.
- On page 12 of Ghostbusters 101 #6, in panel 4, on the left is the panel from the ATC team's Containment Unit that referenced Dana Barrett and Vinz Clortho in the 2016 movie.
- On page 3 of Ghostbusters Crossing Over Issue #1, on the far right is the Recent Ingestation screen with the D. Barrett and V. Clortho nod from Chapter 16 of the 2016 movie.
- On page 7 of Ghostbusters Crossing Over Issue #2, Peter reveals Dana doesn't like broccoli.
- On Cover B of Ghostbusters Crossing Over Issue #4, on the lower level and to the right of Vigo by the brushes is Dana's last name.
- On page 10 of Ghostbusters 35th Anniversary: Extreme Ghostbusters, left of Peter Venkman in panel 5 is a frame of Dana Barrett.
- In the Quickbooks "Happy Business: Ghostbusters All in One Place" online spot, released on December 27, 2019, Janine allocates a $2000 payment from Dana to payroll on her smart phone.
- On page one of Ghostbusters Year One Issue #1, Dana's outfit is from Chapter 16: Dogs Drag Dana, right before she gets taken by Zuul.
- On page 1 of Ghostbusters Year One Issue #2, once again, Dana is in the outfit she wore right before she gets taken by Zuul.
- On page 11 of Ghostbusters Year One Issue #2, in panel 3, on Peter's locker door is an official 8x10 photograph of Sigourney Weaver in costume as Dana from the first movie.
- On Cover B of Ghostbusters Year One Issue #3 is a Post-It note reminder to meet Dana Barrett after practice and bring flowers, a nod to Peter's bouquet in Chapter 19: Peter's Date with Zuul.
- On page 2 of Ghostbusters Year One Issue #3:
- Dana's outfit is based on an outfit worn by Sigourney Weaver's character Lauren Slaughter in the 1986 movie "Half Moon Street".
- Dana's instrument case is to her left, it was seen in Chapter 14: Welcome Aboard.
- Dana mentions Thorazine. It was what Peter used on her when Zuul was in possession of her. Peter mentions it in Chapter 20: Keymaster.
- It is revealed in this canon, the Thorazine Peter used was prescribed to Dana for hiccups.
- Dana alludes to when she saw the Temple of Gozer and Terror Dogs in her refrigerator in Chapter 6: Spook Central.
- On page 4 of Ghostbusters Year One Issue #3, Dana recalls telling Peter he reminded her of game show host in Chapter 10: Checking Out Dana.
- Chapter 06: Spook Central
- Chapter 07: Fried Eggs & Zuul
- Chapter 09: The 1st Customer
- Chapter 10: Checking Out Dana
- Chapter 14: Welcome Aboard
- Chapter 16: Dogs Drag Dana
- Chapter 19: Peter's Date with Zuul
- Chapter 20: Keymaster
- Chapter 21: Out of Biz
- Chapter 22: Holding Cell
- Alluded to by Ray Stantz, Peter Venkman, and Egon Spengler.
- Chapter 23: Keeper Meets Master
- Chapter 25: Working the Crowd
- Chapter 27: Stay Puft Man
- Alluded to by Peter Venkman.
- Chapter 28: Crossing Streams
- Ghostbusters II
- Chapter 01: Start
- Chapter 03: Dr. Janosz Poha
- Chapter 05: Investigating Oscar
- Chapter 09: Great Blackout of 1989
- Chapter 13: Mood Slime
- Chapter 14: A Tube Full of Slime
- Chapter 15: Peter's Place
- Chapter 16: Vigo 101
- Chapter 17: Fire-Trapped
- Chapter 18: In the Tunnel
- Chapter 19: Scaring the Straights
- Chapter 20: Kidnapping Oscar
- Chapter 21: Tenth Level of Hell
- Chapter 24: A Harbor Chick
- Chapter 25: Breaking and Entering
- Chapter 26: Ghostbusters vs. Vigo
- Chapter 27: The Fifth Ghostbuster
- Chapter 28: World is Safe Again
- Ghostbusters: The Video Game
- Ghostbusters II
- Ghostbusters: The Video Game (Stylized Versions)
- IDW Comics
- Ongoing Series
- Volume 1
- Volume 2
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Ghostbusters
- Ongoing Series
- Ghostbusters Crossing Over
- Issue #2
- Impersonated by Tiamat.
- Mentioned by Peter on page 7.
- Issue #2
- Ghostbusters Year One
- Ongoing Series
- Insight Editions
- IDW Comics
- Dana Barrett (1999). Ghostbusters II, Chapter 5: Investigating Oscar (1989) (DVD ts. 17:14-17:20). Columbia Pictures. Dana Barrett says: "You never asked me. And whenever I brought it up, you'd get drowsy and fall asleep."
- Dana Barrett (1999). Ghostbusters II, Chapter 1: Start (1989) (DVD ts. 06:51-06:58). Columbia Pictures. Dana Barrett says: "Well, we didn't part on good terms. And then we sort of lost track of each other after I got married."
- Dana Barrett (1999). Ghostbusters II, Chapter 5: Investigating Oscar (1989) (DVD ts. 16:31-16:38). Columbia Pictures. Dana Barrett says: "He didn't ditch me. We had some problems, and he got a very good job offer from an orchestra in London, and he took it."
- Dana Barrett (1999). Ghostbusters II, Chapter 1: Start (1989) (DVD ts. 07:03-07:06). Columbia Pictures. Dana Barrett says: "I thought of getting in touch with him after my marriage ended, but--"
- Narrator (2016). Insight Editions- "Tobin's Spirit Guide" (2016) (Book p.82). Paragraph reads: "Although later tests showed that they retained mild aggressive tendencies and a taste for rare meat for several weeks afterward."
- Dana Barrett (2020). IDW Comics- "Ghostbusters Year One Issue #3" (2020) (Comic p.2). Dana Barrett says: "Well, I'd rather that not be in the book, but for the record, I had a prescription. No, it wasn't for a psychotic break. I never told my doctor about seeing monsters in my fridge. It was... it was for hiccups."
- Peter Venkman (2014). IDW Comics- "Ghostbusters Volume 2 Issue #18" (2014) (Comic p.16). Peter says: "Look, I get it. Last time we were together it wasn't great."
- Peter Venkman (2014). IDW Comics- "Ghostbusters Volume 2 Issue #18" (2014) (Comic p.16). Peter says: "Anytime the guys and I took something big down, the Paparazzi would, like, descend... and that wasn't good for you, and it wasn't good for the kid."
- Peter Venkman (2014). IDW Comics- "Ghostbusters Volume 2 Issue #18" (2014) (Comic p.17). Peter says: "I tried to do what was best. And you know what? It turned into a thing. And I know you hate things. No one likes things."
- Egon Spengler (2014). IDW Comics- "Ghostbusters Volume 2 Issue #17" (2014) (Comic p.10). Egon says: "It bumped the story about you leaving Peter for an alien off the front page."
- Shay, Don (November 1985). Making Ghostbusters, p. 44 annotation. New York Zoetrope, New York NY USA, ISBN 0918432685. Paragraph reads: "Dana Barrett's character changed dramatically as the script evolved. Aware that the story needed a love interest, Aykroyd and Ramis decided to write one into their initial collaborative draft. Being more attuned to comedy than romance, however, their first effort resulted in an alien fugitive from another dimension which transforms itself into human female form."
- Shay, Don (November 1985). Making Ghostbusters, p. 44 annotation. New York Zoetrope, New York NY USA, ISBN 0918432685. Paragraph reads: "The character makes his first appearance in the June draft as a fellow refuge of the creature which was to become Venkman's interdimensional love interest. With a diet cola television commercial for inspiration, one creature transforms itself into a beautiful woman, while the other transforms into a heavy-set man."
- Shay, Don (November 1985). Making Ghostbusters, p. 44 annotation. New York Zoetrope, New York NY USA, ISBN 0918432685. Harold Ramis says: "Venkman's affair with the interdimensional creature was funny, but not very romantic. He wakes up with her one morning and she is this kind of wart hog -- which we realized was rather lacking in real human connection and love."
- Shay, Don (November 1985). Making Ghostbusters, p. 44 annotation. New York Zoetrope, New York NY USA, ISBN 0918432685. Harold Ramis says: "Also, it became apparent that the Ghostbusters needed a close personal involvement with one of the victims of the supernatural. So we thought, 'Wouldn't it be romantic if the love interest was one of their clients?' It gave Venkman an additional motivation for making the Ghostbusters a success -- not only is he out to make money, he is out to rescue this woman and prove himself to her."
- Yahoo! "Ghostbusters at 35: Ivan Reitman on casting Sigourney Weaver over Julia Roberts, the frightening challenge of Marshmallow Man and more" 6/7/19 Article reads: "There was one future A-lister, though, whom he did encounter in the casting rounds: "Julia Roberts came in and auditioned," he said of finding the film's lead female role, Dana Barrett. Roberts was a complete unknown at the time, at least four or five years before she broke out in films like Mystic Pizza (1988), Steel Magnolias (1989) and Pretty Woman (1990). She ultimately lost the part to Sigourney Weaver."
- Shay, Don (November 1985). Making Ghostbusters, p. 44 annotation. New York Zoetrope, New York NY USA, ISBN 0918432685. Harold Ramis says: "And, of course, once Sigourney Weaver expressed an interest in the role, we took the character much more seriously. We had made her a model, but Sigourney suggested it would be more interesting if she were a musician."
- Shay, Don (November 1985). Making Ghostbusters, p. 44 annotation. New York Zoetrope, New York NY USA, ISBN 0918432685. Harold Ramis says: "She has such a dignity -- there is just no way to treat her as an object. And we liked the subtle class difference she brought to the part. She clearly had better breeding than Venkman did. Writing for women has not been one of my strengths in the past, but with Sigourney's contribution, this character really grew and strengthened."
- Wallace, Daniel (2015). Ghostbusters The Ultimate Visual History, p. 28. Insight Editions, San Rafael CA USA, ISBN 9781608875108. Suzy Benzinger says: "Sigourney was totally based on Theoni. Theoni was also a very tall woman, so when she saw Sigourney she started to name off designers that she loved. Sigourney loved those designers too. Theoni said, 'We're going to dress her basically like me.' She wore a lot of sweaters, long skirts, and boots."
- Shay, Don (November 1985). Making Ghostbusters, p. 60 annotation. New York Zoetrope, New York NY USA, ISBN 0918432685. Paragraph reads: "Although the finished sequence bears only a cursory resemblance to the script, certain elements were retained -- at least in part. Sigourney Weaver suggested that 'game show host' was both more amusing and more apropos of Venkman's persona than 'used car salesman.' and so her line was changed accordingly."
- Shay, Don (November 1985). Making Ghostbusters, p. 60 annotation. New York Zoetrope, New York NY USA, ISBN 0918432685. Harold Ramis says: "And so when Sigourney was able to stand there like a real person and say to Bill, 'You are so odd.' it was totally genuine -- and she came up with that line herself."
- Wallace, Daniel (2015). Ghostbusters The Ultimate Visual History, p. 28. Insight Editions, San Rafael CA USA, ISBN 9781608875108. Suzy Benzinger says: "Bill picked out the color. Theoni wanted to put her in a lavender dress, but Bill said, I think it should be orange.' We were trying to use a dress that looked sort of dated and weird and strange. Flashdance had been out for a while, and it was very outre to have that off-the-shoulder look. We did it as a Jennifer Beal sort of dress."
- Wallace, Daniel (2015). Ghostbusters The Ultimate Visual History, p. 28. Insight Editions, San Rafael CA USA, ISBN 9781608875108. Line reads: "I said, I wanted my hair to be like I've been electrified, like I put my finger in a socket.' I wanted to my make up to be – not really Bride of Frankenstein – but to be other-earthly, and unlike anything that would logically happen to Dana."
- Shay, Don (November 1985). Making Ghostbusters, p. 201 annotation. New York Zoetrope, New York NY USA, ISBN 0918432685. Paragraph reads: "Since Dana's rooftop costume had not yet been determined at the time of the New York location shooting, Sigourney Weaver was outfitted with a robe - leaving audiences to assume, had the thought ever occurred, that she had simply picked one up somewhere en route to the ground floor."
- Mueller, Richard (August 1985). Ghostbusters: The Supernatural Spectacular, p. 80. Tor Books, New York NY USA, ISBN 0812585984.
- Mueller, Richard (August 1985). Ghostbusters: The Supernatural Spectacular, p. 151. Tor Books, New York NY USA, ISBN 0812585984.
- Aykroyd, Dan & Ramis, Harold (1988). Ghostbusters II (August 5, 1988 Draft) (Script p. 9). "Lane Walker says: "My name is Lane Walker and, this is very hard to explain, but I'm a little worried about my baby."
- Aykroyd, Dan & Ramis, Harold (1988). Ghostbusters II (August 5, 1988 Draft) (Script p. 51). "Paragraph reads: "EXT. MADISON AVENUE -DAY Venkman enters a contemporary fashion boutique called Nu Kloze."
- Aykroyd, Dan & Ramis, Harold (1988). Ghostbusters II (August 5, 1988 Draft) (Script p. 51). "Paragraph reads: "The shop features very expensive French and Italian designs with the baggiest trousers and the roomiest jackets available. Venkman sees Lane waiting on a CUSTOMER."
- Aykroyd, Dan & Ramis, Harold (1988). Ghostbusters II (August 5, 1988 Draft) (Script p. 53). "Peter Venkman says: "I'm going to get tickets and we're going to the ballet, then we're going to a great restaurant for a late supper. What do you think?"
- Aykroyd, Dan & Ramis, Harold (1988). Ghostbusters II (August 5, 1988 Draft) (Script p. 59). "Peter Venkman says: "I'm stuck with these damn orchestra seats for the ballet tonight and then we have reservations for dinner at Memphis."
- Aykroyd, Dan & Ramis, Harold (1988). Ghostbusters II (August 5, 1988 Draft) (Script p. 62). Paragraph reads: "INT. VIVIAN BEAUMONT THEATER - LATER Onstage, the Bolshoi Ballet perform their production of "Giselle.""
- Spelling, Ian (1989). "Bill Murray Ain't Afraid of No Ghosts!" Starlog #140, page 32. Starlog Group, Inc, USA. Bill Murray says: "They've gone all the way around trying to figure out how to make it. I had to audition with some actresses, but we all like Sigourney. The only problem with Sigourney is she's so tall. Naaah, I'm just kidding. She's tall, but she's not too tall. The problem is that you would wind up with a story that was tilted and like the Flintstone family. Sigourney and I would be this major thing and it would be hard to figure out how the Ghostbusters' dynamic would grow. The sort of story they were writing ended up not really needing the other three guys."
- Recording of The Arsenio Hall Show 6/14/1989, Sigourney Weaver, 2:04-2:18Sigourney Weaver says: "And I've, um, actually all the characters five years later have sort of been down and out a little bit and, um, I've gotten married, I think, to the guy who used the nose spray in the first Ghostbusters and it didn't work out and so I got a divorce but I have this little baby."
- Joe Medjuck (2005). Ghostbusters- Commentary (2005) (DVD ts. 43:10-43:19). Columbia TriStar Home Video. Joe Medjuck says: "I've always presumed this is who Sigourney married - when she has a child in the second one. The Violinist. "
- Ivan Reitman (2005). Ghostbusters- Commentary (2005) (DVD ts. 43:15-43:19). Columbia TriStar Home Video. Ivan Reitman says: "Yes, yes, the Violinist. "
- Egon Spengler (2014). Ghostbusters 1 & 2 Gift Set (2014), Ghostbusters II, Dana's Curse (1989) (DVD ts. 00:10-00:14). Columbia Pictures. Egon says: "It's possible you have a genetically-linked emanation... that predisposes you to paranormal vulnerability."
- 2/27/89 Script Page 110 via Spook Central
- Peter Venkman (2018). IDW Comics- "Ghostbusters Crossing Over Issue #2" (2018) (Comic p.7). Peter Venkman says: "Because if we had, you'd at least know that Dana Barrett does not do broccoli."
- Winston Zeddemore (2013). IDW Comics- "Ghostbusters Volume 2 Issue #5" (2013) (Comic p.4). Winston says: "Maybe you should ask Dana Barrett how leaving the circle of crazy worked out for her."
- Peter Venkman (2014). IDW Comics- "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles/Ghostbusters Issue #2" (2014) (Comic p.7). Peter says: "Sorry. Used to date a gal who restored art."
- Peter Venkman (2016). IDW Comics- "Ghostbusters International #5" (2016) (Comic p.12). Peter Venkman says: "But don't worry - I know someone in art restoration."
- Narrator (2016). Insight Editions- "Tobin's Spirit Guide" (2016) (Book p.64). Paragraph reads: "Vigo's initial plan was to inhabit the physical form of museum employee Dana Barrett's infant son, Oscar."
- Narrator (2016). Insight Editions- "Tobin's Spirit Guide" (2016) (Book p.82). Paragraph reads: "In our initial encounter with Gozer, Dana Barrett and Louis Tully played host to Gozer's emissaries, but when the deity was defeated, they were both returned to human form unharmed."
Behind the Scenes