Ecto Cooler is an orange-tangerine (noted as citrus on previous version) flavored, green colored drink by Hi-C.
In 1989, HI-C released a new flavor fruit drink featuring a image of Slimer from The Real Ghostbusters called "Ecto Cooler". It was a repurpose of a Hi-C's “Citrus Cooler”, which had been around since the 60's. It is notable that Ecto Cooler was made in light of Ghostbusters II, which was in theaters when released. The drink did surprisingly well in some markets and continued way beyond The Real Ghostbusters run. Slimer left the box sometime around 1997, but Minute Maid did not discontinue the product until 2001, at which point it was renamed Shoutin' Orange Tangergreen. Slimer was replaced on the packaging by a similar-looking blob of lips. The product was still noted as ecto cool on many store receipts. During the Shoutin' Orange Tangergreen era the formula was changed along with the rest of the line of HI-C drinks to a "Won't Stain" formula. While it didn't taste any different, it did change to a yellowish green.
Relaunch in 2016
On September 15, 2015, Coca-Cola filed to renew the Ecto Cooler trademark.  Then appearing on eBay on February 18, 2016 was a prototype can. The new can did not feature the iconic Slimer, but notes the 2016 film and has a green slime motif.
On April 25, 2016, it was announced Ecto Cooler would be available for a limited time beginning on May 30. It will be sold in packs of 6-ounce juice boxes or 11.5-ounce aluminum cans. The cans are specially printed using thermal ink that turns an eerie shade of slime green when the product inside is cold. There will be a contest held up until May 30. Fans can enter for a chance to win it before it is available for purchase. Fans were instructed follow @Ectocooler on Twitter and Ecto Cooler on Facebook.  It will be sold exclusively in the United States of America. 
On May 30, 2016, it was reported ads for Ecto Cooler were seen in a movie theater. 
On November 2, 2016, it was announced that Ecto Cooler was going to be discontinued by December 2016.
Used for Promotion in 2021
On October 31, 2021, it was reported Ecto Cooler was being used at a Sony-Pictures/Firefly promotional event for Ghostbusters: Afterlife in New York and Los Angeles. A rotating advertisement depicted the Mini-Pufts and the original Ecto Cooler.
On November 11, 2021, official accounts on both Twitter and Instagram under the handle of @DrinkHiC were created. The banner image promotes Afterlife.
On November 14, 2021, Hi-C's social media asked fans to share their love and posted an old 1989 clip ending with a new promo of Mini-Pufts with a 12 oz bottle but clarified it won't be for sale.
On November 15, 2021, Ecto Cooler 12 oz bottles were handed out during the New York premiere of Ghostbusters: Afterlife.
On December 17, 2021, Hi-C announced Ecto Cooler promotion had ended.
- On page 10 of Ghostbusters Issue #3, Slime-C, a variation on the Ecto Cooler box appears on an advertisement.
- On page 12 of Ghostbusters Issue #14, Slime-C makes a cameo as one of the beverages for sale.
- On page 6 of Ghostbusters Volume 2 Issue #1, Slime-C makes a cameo in the refrigerator.
- On page 7 of Ghostbusters Volume 2 Issue #5, Slime-C makes a non-canon cameo on a partially cut off ad.
- On page 9 of Ghostbusters Volume 2 Issue #12, the Slime C makes a non-canon cameo on a Times Square ad on the left side.
- On page 17 of Ghostbusters: Get Real Issue #2, in panel 3, behind Egon Spengler is an Ecto Cooler can.
- Ecto Cooler has appeared, or been mentioned, numerous times in The Goldbergs television series.
- On page 18 of Ghostbusters International #7, the Ecto Cooler makes a non-canon cameo on top of the stack of boxes in panel 4.
- On page 1 of Ghostbusters International #8, in panel 3 and 5, atop the console, is a can of the 2016 Ecto Cooler.
- On page 4 of Ghostbusters International #8, in the upper left corner, the tray of Ecto Cooler cans is once again atop a box of Cracker Jacques.
- On page 12 of Ghostbusters 101 #2, the teenagers have Citrus Coolers, circa 1969, the original versions and predecessors to the Ecto Cooler drink.
- On page 12 of Ghostbusters 101 #3, in panel 3, on the far right, on the kitchen counter is the Hi C Citrus Cooler, the precursor to the Ecto Cooler.
- On page one of Ghostbusters 101 #5, panel 1, an Ecto Cooler pouch with a straw makes a non-canon cameo as the beer tap above Paul Feig's visible hand.
- On page 20 of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles/Ghostbusters Volume 2 Issue #1, in panel 1, on top of the console is a 2016 Ecto Cooler can.
- On page 4 of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles/Ghostbusters Volume 2 Issue #2, in panel 3, on the shelf is a 2016 Ecto Cooler and two Citrus Cooler cans.
- On page 3 of Ghostbusters Crossing Over Issue #2, in panel 5, on the shelf is a can of Ecto Cooler from the 2016 promotion.
- Official Website
- Official Facebook
- Official Twitter
- YouTube: Television Commercial (uploaded by "bluesteel97")
- YouTube: Television Commercial (uploaded by "moucat", RetroJunk logo on video)
- The Ghostbusters Chicago division fan franchise came up with a recipe (now a Wayback Machine link) that is said to taste like Ecto Cooler. Because it is a fan created recipe, the wiki does not officially endorse it.
- Archived Timeline Listings of "Shoutin' Orange Tangergreen" from Minutemaid.com, archived by Internet Archive Wayback Machine: Aug. 09, 2002, Dec. 04, 2004,Dec. 17, 2004, Mar. 17, 2006
- Archived Timeline Listings of "Crazy Citrus Cooler" from Minutemaid.com, archived by Internet Archive Wayback Machine: Apr. 30, 2006, Dec. 18, 2006.
- Retro Junk article
- X-Entertainment: The Ecto Cooler Bible
- Comic Book "Coca-Cola Files to Renew the Ecto-Cooler Trademark" 11/27/15
- "It's official! Hi-C Ecto Cooler set to return this summer!" 4/25/16
- Ghostbusters News "Hi-C Ecto Cooler will be exclusive to the United States" 4/25/16
- DinosaurDracula Tweet 5/30/16
- Ecto Cooler Official Facebook- "RIP Ecto Cooler Reboot, May 2016 - Dec 2016"
- Ghostbusters News "HI-C ECTO COOLER IS BACK as a ‘Ghostbusters: Afterlife’ promotional item!" 10/30/2021
- Ghostbusters News "Hi-C Ecto Cooler social media pages launch, leaving Ghostbusters fans with questions" 11/11/2021
- DrinkHiC Tweet 11/14/2021
- DrinkHiC Tweet 12/17/2021