Ecto Goggles (also known as Ecto-Scopes and Ecto-Visors) in the animated series Real Ghostbusters serve the basic same function as they did in the movie, as visual P.K.E. Meter. There are also two other devices that seem to act much like the Ecto Goggles which are the Ecto-Visors and the Helmet Ecto Goggles (likely made so the ABC censors would be happy in episode "Ghosts R Us").
The Real Ghostbusters
A frequency adjustment was required for other entities that are normally invisible, such as the Imps imprisoned in Gaylord's Joke Shop. Around the time when the Ghostbusters were hired to deal with Black Bart in Spittoon, Texas, the Ecto Goggles were upgraded with new fiber optic force field lens. This allowed them to pinpoint the location of the Spectral Well beneath the town.
Like most equipment that were used later in Extreme Ghostbusters, it appears the Ecto Goggles were also upgraded as late as just before the Extreme Ghostbusters were founded in 1997. There are three straps instead of two, the left lens stalk next to it now has what appears to have a mini scope next to it, the right lens stalk became very short, and both right and left bases are different. Egon used a pair to examine Mesopotamian inscriptions on a tablet about Achira. Roland Jackson briefly used a pair to scan the area near a diner where an employee named Jimmy was kidnapped from. However, he didn't pick up any readings.
Egon equipped himself with a pair of Ecto-Goggles while in an alternate dimension with its team of Ghostbusters. They searched a cave on Chiloe Island for a key to a secret tomb. The goggles located and confirmed the presence of an Imbunche.
- On page 55 of Marvel Comics U.K. The Real Ghostbusters Annual 1989, the Ecto Goggles are listed as Spectro-Visors.
- On page 4 of Ghostbusters International #9, in panel 4, the Ecto Goggles POV with "Bingo" on the right side is a nod to the POV seen near the end of The Real Ghostbusters episode "Janine's Genie"
- The Kenner Ecto-Goggles came with the Ecto-Popper.
- The Kenner Real Ghostbusters' Fright Features Ray Stantz had a pair of Ecto Goggles.
- The Kenner Real Ghostbusters' Slimed Heroes Ray Stantz also comes with a pair of modified Ecto Goggles.
- The Real Ghostbusters
- Extreme Ghostbusters
- Janine Melnitz (2009). The Real Ghostbusters - "Janine, You've Changed" (1990) (DVD ts. 07:13-07:15). Time Life Entertainment. Janine says: "Well, you're wearing your Ecto-Scopes."
- Egon Spengler (2009). The Real Ghostbusters - "The Joke's on Ray" (1988) (DVD ts. 14:57-15:00). Time Life Entertainment. Egon says: "With these Ecto-Visors, we can see just fine."
- Capizzi, Duane (1997). Extreme Ghostbusters "Deadliners" (Final Draft December 1996) (Script p. 13). Line reads: "REVEAL ROLAND - Scanning from the cafe door, wearing a pair of ECTO-VISORS."
- Egon Spengler (2009). The Real Ghostbusters - "The Magnificent Five" (1990) (DVD ts. 13:13-13:19). Time Life Entertainment. Egon says: "These new fiber optic force field lenses should help us discover what it is Black Bart is so interested in here."
- Gizmos & Gadgets (1989). Marvel Comics U.K. - "The Real Ghostbusters Annual 1989" (1989) (Comic p.55). Line reads: "Spectro-Visor - using the Spectro-visor, a Ghostbuster can see invisible ghosts and auras through the image-intensifying mechanism which operates on infra-red and ectoplasmic sensitive wavelengths."