"I collect spores, molds, and fungus."
- Egon Spengler; Ghostbusters
Dr. Egon Spengler, Ph.D. is a former professor of paranormal studies at the Columbia University. Upon his termination, Egon founded Ghostbusters, Inc. along with Doctors Ray Stantz and Peter Venkman. He is considered the brain behind the Ghostbusters and has designed and built nearly all of their equipment, including the Proton Pack and the Storage facility. Typically, Ray is the only other member of the Ghostbusters who has no trouble understanding Egon's technical jargon.
- 1 Personality
- 2 History
- 3 Secondary Canon History
- 4 Trivia
- 5 Quotes
- 6 Appearances
- 7 References
- 8 Gallery
Egon is hard-working and constantly focused on the paranormal activity of New York. His life revolves around scientific study, in general as well as on ghosts. In his spare time, he collects spores, molds, and fungus. He doesn't articulate his emotions well and has described himself as "always serious." His childhood may have not been a very happy one, as is suggested his parents were emotionally neglectful; Egon once shared with Ray that they "did not believe in toys"; he described Oscar's playroom as "very cheerful" in a tone that suggested he was aware he missed out on something nice. His parents gave him part of a Slinky once, and he straightened it. Once, during the Vigo incident, Egon flatly informed Mayor Lenny's porter that the Proton Pack was not a toy. Despite Janine Melnitz' hints that she was attracted to him, he seemed to ignore her romantic advances, kept quiet, and their relationship remained platonic. However, even though Egon admitted when he was terrified at the sight of the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man, he stayed with the others, showing bravery and a cool head even in the face of doom. It was his idea to cross the streams, which ultimately saved the world. Egon also has a dead-pan sense of humor and has been known to be sly, such as after the Ghostbusters' first case, he discretely holds up his fingers to show Peter the amount the Sedgewick Hotel will be billed.
Egon has a very dry sense of humor, once jokingly stating that most women would be "more interested in his epididymis," rather than his intellect. He is not immune to anger, as under duress he has been shown to swear twice during the Gozer incident. He even lunged at Walter Peck in anger when Peck ordered them arrested for the disruption regarding the shutdown of the containment grid, despite the fact Peck himself was entirely responsible, and ignored Egon's repeated explanation of why it would be so dangerous to do so. After the Ghostbusters narrowly escaped from Shandor Island, Ray began enthusiastically asking how it was and if they seen anything cool, Egon simply told him to "Shut up."
Egon does, on occasion, smirk and give a wisecrack; such as during their encounter with the Opera Diva ghost during the Shandor incident Egon says "The fat lady's singing!" And while exploring Central Park's Cult Cemetery, Peter says "This isn't the Central Park I'm used to." to which Egon replies, "You still have your wallet?" Generally though, Egon remains largely pragmatic with a straight-to-the-point demeanor.
Egon puts few restraints on the scope of his paranormal research. This is evident shortly after Dana Barrett's First Avenue incident, as he conducts experiments in his lab in which he deliberately incites couples to argue. When Egon and Ray discover the Psychomagnotheric Slime, aka "mood slime", he and Ray perform various tests themselves, including shouting verbal abuse at it, singing to it, saying sweet, nurturing things to it, and Egon even sleeps with it to learn its' response. His efforts, and arguably sacrificing a personal life, pay off, as it his theories and decisions from clear-thinking, that ultimately save his friends multiple times.
Egon was very interested in paranormal phenomenon, even while working with Ray Stantz and Peter Venkman at the University. He and Ray Stantz studied paranormal literature in their spare time and were interested in theories of reincarnation.
Egon was usually the first to interview case subjects, adding to their mantra, "we're ready to believe you." Examples were Dana Barrett from her Zuul encounter and her carriage phenomenon with Oscar. Even people Peter called "schizo" always went to either Egon or Ray to describe their paranormal experiences, no matter how far-fetched their stories were. For his part, Venkman once took back everything negative he said about him, rewarding the fellow scientist with his favourite candy bar (a Crunch bar). Egon's only weakness is evidently sugar (or at least snacks), as he is seen, on occasion, snacking.
Egon developed the technology behind the P.K.E. Meter, the Proton Pack, the Trap, and the storage facility. He was also aware of the risk of crossing the streams. He spent a lot of time focusing on the stability of the storage facility, and was concerned about the possibilities of a P.K.E. surge of dangerous proportions. Egon was particularly critical of Walter Peck's actions, and his attitude that the Ghostbusters were responsible for the explosion of the containment unit that occurred when Peck ordered a municipal worker to shut the unit down. After their encounter with Stay Puft, Egon suggested an atypical solution when he recommended blasting Gozer's dimensional portal while crossing the proton streams to reverse the particle flow and send Gozer back to his/its' dimension.
Egon once tried to drill a hole in his own head, (A process known as trepanation.) which "would have worked" if Venkman hadn't stopped him.
Due to the large amount of collateral damage the city of New York suffered from the battle with Gozer, the Ghostbusters were sued by nearly every county and city agency in New York. Additionally a judicial restraining order was enacted which barred the Ghostbusters from performing services as paranormal investigators and eliminators, effectively putting them out of business. Five years after the events of the first film Egon was working at the Institute for Advanced Theoretical Research and was conducting experiments on human emotions. A negative test involved keeping a couple with marriage problems locked in a room for hours and gradually raising the temperature. A positive test involved a girl in a room with dozens of stuffed animals and a puppy. He was the first person Dana Barrett contacted when her baby carriage took off by itself. Egon recommended bringing in Ray, and they both performed a physical exam on Dana's son Oscar. Egon, along with Peter and Ray were later arrested after digging a large hole under 1st avenue as part of their paranormal investigations to help Dana. During the course of their trial they were found guilty of willful destruction of public property, fraud, violating their judicial restraining order, and malicious mischief by judge Stephen Wexler (whom Egon said was known as "The Hammer"). While angrily insulting the trio judge Wexler inadvertently released the ghosts of the Scoleri Brothers; two murderers he sentenced to death by the electric chair. During the chaos judge Wexler dismisses the charges against the Ghostbusters, and rescinds the judicial restraining order allowing Egon, Ray, and Peter to capture the ghosts, effectively putting the Ghostbusters back in business. Egon had a dry sense of humor, of which he used on Peter to bewilder him, and smirked at his friend's cluelessness on what the word "epididymis" was. Egon primarily worked with Ray, both of whom were still living at the Firehouse, conducting research on the pink slime. Still very scientifically minded, Egon seems to have loosened up a little bit, letting his sense of humor show and even giving Dana a smile and Peter (who was carried away with photographing Vigo's portrait), a knowing smile.
Ghostbusters: The Video Game
Egon becomes significantly more 'hands-on' during the course of the video game. He and Ray instruct the Rookie in the use of the Proton Pack and its eventual PCS (Paranormal Countermeasure System) upgrades. Over the course of the game, it becomes evident that he was somewhat traumatized by their exhausting trek up the stairs of 550 Central Park West. While in the alternate dimension of the library, Egon is heard to groan, "Oh no," and when Ray asks if he saw something scary, Egon replies, "Stairs, lots of stairs.."
Egon still collects spores, molds, and fungus. When the Ghostbusters return to the Sedgewick Hotel, Ray reveals Egon was once a licensed coroner in the past. He still has a minor interest in it as a hobby.
Secondary Canon History
IDW Comic Series
During a childhood fishing trip, Egon Spengler got rockfish on his fishing line. It purportedly weighed as much as he did at the time. Egon, however, lost the fist before he could fully reel it in. Egon Spengler became interested in the field of the paranormal, specifically ghosts, and resolved to prove conclusively of their existence.
In the 1970s, Egon attended Columbia University. Peter met Egon in a Women's Studies course the latter was mistakenly assigned to. Peter convinced him to stick with it to teach him to be more comfortable with people. Roughly in the 1970s, Egon witnessed a car accident involving his friend Eugene Visitor. Eugene was hit by a car but vanished without a trace. It was one of several events that got Egon interested in supernatural phenomena. In reality, Eugene somehow captured Death in his bag and teleported to 20 years in the future. A few years later, word got around about Columbia's Parapsychology pilot doctorate program. One winter day, Ray called out to Peter to tell him about the program. Egon already told him about it but he realized he should introduce the two of them to each other because of their interests and thinking a connection would be good. Ray asked Egon how he met Peter and he relayed the story. Peter put his arms around their shoulders and assured them the pilot program was their meal ticket. He believed no one was doing anything with the field and if they got the degrees, they would have the inside track to tenured positions, and no one would care about results as long as they kept the experiments going since there was no precedent. Ray asked Egon what his interest in Parapsychology was. Egon replied "all-consuming" and revealed he was working on a device to track and measure alternate forms of sentient energy. Ray inquired if he was alluding to psychokinetic energy, to Egon's surprise. Ray wanted to know his opinion about something but Peter interrupted and informed them he was going out for pizza with the Women's Fencing team.
During his undergraduate years in college, studying abroad, Egon learned the Swedish language while he was researching Gjenganger and studying Draugr in Sweden. While studying abroad, Egon became interested in the Rauoskinna. He invented the P.K.E. Meter to aid him in his search for the book. He managed to collect some strong related readings in northern Europe but ultimately decided it would be better to leave well enough alone and suspended his search. He never closed his investigation and it became something of a cold case. Egon attained several degrees in various scientific disciplines, a PhD in Parapsychology and a PhD in Microbiology (with a specialization in mycology), as well as being self-taught in electronics, mechanics, mathematics, and fluent in three and a half languages. Egon designed the Containment Unit on his own then co-created the rest of the proprietary equipment with Ray.
Egon and Ray went to the New York City Public Library after Roger Delacorte called them about an incident. Egon tested his P.K.E. Meter for the first time in the Reading Room and picked up the ghost's P.K.E. reading. Egon wanted to follow the signal to its source but Ray wanted to have a visual record of the investigation and to have Peter present to see it. He hurried back to Columbia University and returned to Peter and audio visual equipment. They went downstairs and encountered the Library ghost. They promptly ran back to Columbia. Following Slimer's capture, Egon looked over the Trap without pause in Ecto-1. Peter noticed and hoped he wasn't going to look inside again. Egon stated he was just double checking it. Peter made it a note that in the future, he should do that before they got into the car. After the Ghostbusters returned to the Firehouse, Ray voiced he was open to a couple hot dogs. Egon pointed out he literally just ate. Ray reminded him their dinner was interrupted by the call then asked him if he was hungry. Egon stated he was too excited to eat because they were on the verge of a clean sweep of functional equipment. He declared they were close to fully realizing a new branch of scientific endeavor, moved fully from theoretical to the practical. Ray thought he was tingling. Egon told him there was cream upstairs then realized what he meant. He recalled the Ecto Goggles weren't sterilized then pulled out the Containment Unit's hatch. They deposited Slimer but the unit made an odd noise. The red alert activated and they were knocked on their backs. Egon speculated the field was not properly neutronized. Suddenly, a P.K.E. Meter lit up. They ran up the stairs and saw Slimer by the lockers with the prototype Proton Grenade. Ray was very alarmed he stored a prototype in his locker. Egon deferred defending himself and proposed they recapture Slimer before major damaged was caused to the Tribeca neighborhood. Ray and Egon put on their packs and chased after it outside.
Luckily, Slimer was driven more by impulse than intelligence. It was distracted by unfamiliar surroundings and investigated them rather then flying as far away from the Firehouse as it could. Ray felt he had a clean shot but Egon stopped him and warned that blasting the prototype was effectively crossing the streams. Ray objected and pointed out that they could not let it play around until he set the prototype off. He suddenly got an idea and told Egon to stall the ghost then he ran off for Square Diner. Slimer surprised a man in Tribeca Park. He dropped his pizza box and ran away. While Slimer was focused on eating the pizza, Egon tried to sneak in close. He was about to open a Trap behind it without incident but Slimer noticed and punched Egon. Slimer fiddled with the prototype Proton Grenade and threw it. Egon dove for it but it turned out to be a dud and never detonated. Slimer returned to the pizza. Egon threw out a Trap and wrangled Slimer. Slimer, however, resisted the single Proton Stream. Egon boosted power on his Particle Thrower as much as he dared and pulled it to the Trap. The ordeal reminded Egon of a childhood fishing trip but Slimer was successfully recaptured. Egon dropped to his knees in exasperation, only to be bugged by pigeons who looked into the Trap when it was open. While the bust at Tribeca Park was embarrassing to him, Egon concluded that it proved beyond a shadow of a doubt, that it was not safe to go on solo calls.
After Slimer's capture, the Ghostbusters were hired to deal with a ghost that trapped many people inside The Rose. Shawn Doning, the doorman, asked them to get rid of the ghost because he wasn't letting anyone leave and that was creating an overcrowding issue. Peter noted the door wasn't budging and cued Egon. He shot the door to interrupt the negative spectrum psychokinetic energy sealing it shut. Shawn flinched as the Proton Stream shot past him. Peter tried to assure him it could have been worse because Egon wanted to upgrade to Proton Grenades. As they made their way through the club, Peter heard some music and tried to identify it. Egon told them it was Prince then stated he didn't like the P.K.E. readings he was picking up. Peter quipped he never did and advised Egon to start thinking of them as blank checks. Everyone was dancing in mid-air above it. Egon was impressed with the incredibly sophisticated telekinetic activity and concluded unprecedented control was needed to pull it off. The ghost took notice of Ray's display of knowledge of dance moves and added him to his party by force. Egon suspected he and Ray were practically non-entities to the ghost. Peter took offense to that but spotted the wisp.
Egon took aim but Peter stopped him out of concern for the crowd. Egon claimed he could have made the shot. Peter tried to clue him on what the ghost wanted. Egon believed it was to sow chaos and fear. Peter believed he wanted to party and to do that, he needed music. They destroyed the DJ booth but watched as it reassembled itself perfectly and continued playing. Peter opted for plan B and told Egon to show him his moves. Egon was caught off guard. Peter teased him about his claim to being a dance god. Ray yelled at them to do something because he was doing dance moves he shouldn't be physically capable of. Egon complied and did the Moonwalk. On impulse, the ghost zipped past Egon and fully manifested. Egon and Peter wrangled the ghost and trapped him. To the Ghostbusters' surprise, the people cheered and wanted to keep on dancing. A woman asked them if they wanted to join in. Egon was surprised and reiterated they all just experienced a supernaturally induced traumatic event. She didn't get what he said and asserted they were going to dance anyway. They joined in. Several weeks later the incident with Alice, the situation with the Library ghost had gotten worse and it was actively harassing the library patrons. Roger Delacorte went to the Firehouse and got Ray to agree to help. That night, the four Ghostbusters began in the Reading Room. Peter griped Ray didn't even negotiate with Roger. Ray teased him, alluding to the deal he made with Manhattan City Bank. Egon advised Winston it was usually better not to know what they were quarreling about. He got a reading on the ghost and they headed to the stacks. The ghost zipped around the corner and was gone. Winston noted it was a long day and asked if the had a "duck call" or something to bring the ghost to them. Peter teased. Egon was adamant he didn't and never needed such a thing. Ray got an idea. Peter recalled he said that before. Ray explained she was a librarian and didn't like noise so he yelled. They got ready. But nothing happened. Peter called it 0 for 2. Many books levitated around them and attacked. Peter opened fire but Egon warned him to stop because the books were irreplaceable. Peter pointed out the books had a teeth and asked Egon if they were going to run again. They ran for it. Ray came up with a new plan and tricked the ghost into appearing by threatening to destroy Ptolomy's Cosmographia unless she materialized then Peter and Winston trapped it.
Peter once played a prank on Winston and told him to ask Egon about HG Huges. He fell for it and got a two-hour lecture about the theoretical benefits of drilling a hole in your head. After the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man was blown up, Egon Spengler stayed at the Firehouse almost 24 hours, 7 days a week. In need of funds to start repairs on the Firehouse and Containment Unit, Egon agreed to be involved in a book interview that Peter brokered with a publishing company. Egon was the last person Rebecca Morales had to interview for her book about the Ghostbusters. A few weeks later, Winston walked Rebecca to the Firehouse. Winston looked around and found Egon in the basement.
Egon was scanning around the Containment Unit with the Gamma Rate Meter. Winston told him to be nice to the visitor. Egon deduced it was about the book. Rebecca shook his hand and introduced herself. She joked he was a hard man to get a hold of. Egon told her he was extremely busy and only agreed to the interview because Peter said the fee was contingent on his involvement. Rebecca was eager to get started. She started her recorder and asked Egon how he got interested in parapsychology and ghosts. Egon told her he didn't believe there are things man wasn't meant to know and ghosts were simply the first thing he was able to conclusively prove. He mused he would follow the trail until it ran cold or until something more interesting presented itself. Rebecca turned to the Containment Unit and asked if that was were the ghosts were stored then asked him if he ever thought that exploding as soon as it lost power was a major design flaw. She pointed out blackouts could happen. Egon asked her where she heard that. Rebecca looked at the hole in the unit and told him she was very thorough then asked why there was no failsafe. Egon was annoyed and stated it was a fully secured system. He explained the unit should have been fine without power for awhile but the massive increase in ambient psychokinetic energy brought on by Gozer's approach and the ghosts in the unit were attracted to it like iron to a magnet. Rebecca asked if that was an admission of fault. Egon denied it and pointed out he was not the one who ordered the power to be turned off. He asserted the scenario would be accounted for when the unit was rebuilt. She asked him if he thought ghosts would continue to be a problem, citing regular sightings diminished after the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man exploded. Egon thought some would continue to be a problem like the first ghost they captured. Winston recalled Ray's story about it escaping the first time they tried to put it in the unit. Rebecca was mock surprised something else escaped from the fully secured system. Egon sarcastically thanked Winston for bringing it up. Winston excused himself to run an errand. Rebecca wanted to hear the story.
Egon and Rebecca retired to the second floor as he recalled Ray abruptly told him to stall Slimer then ran off. Rebecca was surprised Ray left him along since it took the three of them to catch the ghost in the first place. Egon ate some Cheez Its and half joked he was lucky Slimer was driven more by impulse than intelligence like Peter in college. He continued with the confrontation in Tribeca Park. She thought it sounded exhausting and asked him if he looked in the Trap again. Egon replied he did not but the pigeons did. She asked what happened to Ray. Egon recalled he went dumpster diving at the Square Diner for bait. Rebecca asked if that was it. Egon admitted it was an embarrassing but harmless anecdote that ultimately had one benefit -- it proved beyond a shadow of a doubt, that it was not safe to go solo on busts. Rebecca moved to shake his hand to conclude the session but wanted to schedule a follow-up. She was suddenly taken over by an Unidentified Possessor and levitated to the ceiling. The entity taunted Egon that his luck would not last forever. Egon held out a Trap and threatened it to let Rebecca go or else. The entity was amused by the idle threat and stated it could destroy him but it was not his time yet. It declared his doom was coming and he could not prevent it. It used telekinesis to knock the Trap away. The entity wanted its warning to consume him and punish him. Everything went flying and pink ectoplasm was emitted as it left Rebecca's body. Egon assured her it was a minor ghost encounter. Rebecca was angered about being slimed. Peter arrived and asked Rebecca if she mentioned HG Huges yet. She shoved him away and stormed out of the Firehouse. Peter teased Egon they looked like a Times Square theater. Egon informed him she was briefly possessed. Peter asked what the ghost wanted. Egon admitted he did not know but promised to find out.
When the Ghostbusters were banished by Koza'Rai, only Egon suffered from the effects of chronological displacement. It had an adverse effect on his personality manifesting as a form of cognitive dissonance. He also began to speak in third person. Egon adopted the tyrannical guise of the Great Defender and protected the Outer Colony of Mars from Exploding Manifestations. He automated the colony's defenses and initiated a police state. After Ray knocked him out twice, Egon came back to his senses in the present. Egon quickly deduced Koza'Rai's plans to turn Earth into a Netherworld and told the team Rachel Unglighter was not a student of his. While Egon, Ray, and Winston distracted Koza'Rai and his army, Peter and Rachel toppled the nearly reassembled Stonehenge and pulled all non-living beings back to the Netherworld.
Egon continued to create new additions to the team's arsenal, including Ectoplasmic Glasses and Arm Mounted Proton Packs. After saving some Necrotic Slime, Egon was able to quickly rig a "zombie radar" to track Zombies, controlled by Britt. During the Infestation, he was mainly concerned with safely neutralizing the caustic properties of the slime which was achieved with the team's other problem, Poltergeists.
After Ray had a weird dream, Egon analyzed him with the Aura Video-Analyzer and discovered his brain was not quite in sync. To compound matters, Ray's alpha waves were behaving like a seismograph during an earthquake. Egon concluded the dream was a precognitive episode and wished to examine Ray's brain, at Ray's suggestion, with an MRI. According to his calculations, Egon predicted the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man would return by the weekend. While going over data from his instruments and researching what could be possessing Jim Silver, Egon discovered a new entry forming out of thin air in Spates Catalog. However, the Gozerian Terror Bear returned. During the bust, Egon donned the Boson Pack and easily destabilized it with a few Boson Darts.
After the Idulnas incident, Egon wrote a computer program that calculated an almost random pattern of words that positively stimulated the brain. He ran a sample in Newer York Magazine. A month later, Peter observed the effect in action. A young woman ran up to Egon in public and asked him to sign her chest. Egon planned on publishing a paper on the reactions once he sorted through all the data.
After the Schenectady case, the ambient P.K.E. was still a lot higher than it should be. To compensate for the lasting increase, Egon modified the power of the Proton Streams but the Ghostbusters continued to have a more difficult time on standard cases. Egon concluded the spike was not related to Gozer's recent manifestation nor Idulnas' presence, it was something more potent. For a period of three days, Egon adopted a Polyphasic sleeping schedule and tried to figure out what the problem was. Once research reached an effective standstill, Egon went to Delgado's Gym and ran six miles. After running into Janine and meeting her boyfriend, Roger Baugh, Egon returned to the spot where he thought he saw Eugene Visitor and took scans. 20 minutes later, he got a ping. Egon took Ecto-1a to Belleville in New Jersey and discovered Eugene alive and well in the home of his father, Mr. Visitor. Egon tried to explain to Eugene that he was endangering the natural order of things and the physical plane by keeping Death in his bag. Eugene countered he deserved as second chance and refused to release Death until Egon returned with concrete proof about his claims.
While continuing research into the augmentation of ambient P.K.E., Egon began to suspect it was not exclusive to Manhattan. The Ghostbusters set off on a road trip across America taking on several jobs. During a private job in New Orleans, Egon and the ghost of Marie Laveau shared an interesting conversation about what defines being alive or not. Laveau contended love mattered and gifted Egon with some powerful Gris-Gris for when he was ready to be "alive." In New Mexico, Egon met Special Agent Jim Savage and the two had a heated ideological clash about the paranormal and extraterrestrials.
While investigating the Ghost Smashers, Egon concluded it would only take a day or two for the atomized ghosts to reconstitute and wreak havoc on the city. During his analysis, Egon asked Janine if she was trying to make him jealous by dating Roger. He told Janine he had noticed how she would date men who shared one or more superficial characteristics with him whenever her advances on Egon failed, only to leave these new men when she lost interest and resume aggressive flirting with Egon. Egon told her made a flow chart of this process once for contrast while studying the haunting of a chapel in Yonkers. Janine reacted angrily, telling Egon that who she dated was not all about making him jealous and stormed off. After she left, Egon told himself he may have ironically become jealous, and would run an analysis when there was time. In the battle against the Megaspook, Egon had enough of Ron Alexander and choked him.
Months later, in February, Egon was taken by a blue tentacled demon while on the second floor of the Firehouse. He was awoken by Peter and found the Ghostbusters were imprisoned in another dimension. Egon and Ray dismantled Ray's Proton Pack and planned to rip a hole through the dimensional fabric in order to return to New York. However, it was likelier to cause the universe to fold over and destroy both realms. Egon was elected to rip the hole. The plan was a success and the guys found themselves in Times Square. Janine was elated to see them and kissed Egon on the lips. After the Ghostbusters were freed of the Collectors, Ray and Egon elected to delve into pioneering research into extradimensional theory and went over an exhausting compilation of data. Egon even went consulted with a witch doctor on Bleecker about barring the Collectors from the physical plane of existence.
While conducting an experiment, Egon was interrupted by Roger Baugh. While upset, Egon eventually noticed Roger had Yellow Slime on him. They returned to Roger's Apartment had found Janine floating and covered in ectoplasmic discharge. Egon's attempts to neutralize the slime with the Slime Blower failed. Egon and Roger took Janine back to the Firehouse. Egon dropped his Gris-Gris on Janine but she remained unchanged. However, three Draugar manifested behind them. Egon asked how to dispel the curse but was told Janine's soul was forfeit for cheating against the Grendel weeks ago. Egon then threatened them. When they refused, Egon activated the Wall-Trap and captured two of the Draugar. Roger Baugh intervened and before Egon could stop him, the Draugar agreed to show them what happened to Janine.
Both were subjected to a form of astral projection and transported to Janine's mind. They worked their way from the fringes to where the Draugar were with Janine. Egon attempted to talk them into releasing Janine. However, the ghosts decided to kill Egon and Roger and offer their souls to Hel in addition to Janine's. While in a memory of Peter's apartment from New Years Eve 1989, Egon realized the power of mind made things tangible. They quickly ventured to a memory of the Firehouse where Egon donned the Boson Pack. Egon once again issued a threat to release Janine or else. The lone Draugar from before engaged Egon but was dispersed. The other Draugar returned Janine, Egon and Roger to their bodies. The Draugar declared they would have their revenge but Egon activated the Wall-Trap again and captured them all. Instead of discussing what all just happened, Egon went down to the basement to check on the Containment Unit.
Concerned with his well being from the Draugar battle, Egon began a thorough analysis. After several days and no sleep, all tests indicated he was in perfect health. Egon was even more concerned and wanted to know why nothing was wrong. Peter tried to get him to go out on a maritime bust involving the John Milton but Egon was adamant about studying himself. Janine attempted to talk some sense into him, but Egon made a chart. Egon finally found evidence his perceptions were mis-calibrated upon return to his natural form, a gamma wave variance of .00076%. Before he could start to corroborate it, Egon answered a call from Winston who was in Las Vegas. After insisting the Arm Mounted Proton Pack would never jam, Egon quickly guided Winston on how to troubleshoot the pack's issue which was just a loose wire.
As standard precaution, Egon and Kylie ran a series of tests on Dana and Louis in the wake of Tiamat's continued presence on the physical plane. They came to the same conclusion both were still displaying signs of the Terror Birds possessing them. Egon sprayed them with the Miniature Slime Blower but that proved to be a miscalculation. The Terror Birds manifested and chased after them. Egon and Kylie raced to the footlockers in the garage bay and armed themselves with Arm Mounted Proton Packs. Egon opened fire but obliterated Janine's computer instead. While Kylie declared she was telling Janine, Egon blasted a Terror Bird. Observing the lack of damage, Egon ordered Kylie to maximize the power output on her pack. Ten minutes later, the Terror Birds were neutralized. Egon got a Trap from his locker and shared his theory about modifying it to compensate between the difference in frequencies of a human soul and a possessing entity. With no time to think of alternatives, Egon and Kylie went to work. Egon managed to successfully extract and trap Mot from Louis Tully's body. They moved to exorcise Dana.
Egon and Kylie ran more tests on Dana and Louis and confirmed they were back to normal. Egon moved on and was pleased to study the effects of Ray's direct mental contact with Gozer. However, he and the others watched as Ray became possessed and rose up in the air. After Winston sacrificed himself to get rid of Tiamat, Egon examined him and realized his heart was no longer beating. Peter took one of Egon's medical cocktails, a mixture of Atropine, Adrenaline, and other things, and injected it into Winston. While Peter raced after the very animated Winston, Egon helped Ray manually vent the Containment Unit. Tribeca was spared from being turned into a smoking crater but a few ghosts were still released. During the firefight against Ellen Gold, Egon broke away and searched for a Trap, obscured by the Wander Hills Manifestation. Eventually, he found one and recaptured Gold along with the Crybaby Ghost. At some point, Ray and Egon constructed a Dimensional Inverter to detect and warn of fallout from a dimensional breach. On September 14, Egon was one of the personnel contracted to help Special Agent Ortiz deal with Hedylogos in St. Louis, Missouri. He believed Hedylogos' power was similar in nature to pheromones and collected some Ectoplasm for the Gateway Arch to test the theory post-incident.
Egon realized the situation at the Emmanuel Baptist Church was bigger than he thought due to the presence of Possessed Humans and four anthropomorphic constructs. Stranger when the constructs were left behind after Chi-You retreated. He examined his P.K.E. Meter and noticed levels were declining. That and a lack of aggression from them led Egon to conclude they were something else. Winston, in turn, called a cease fire. Egon continued scanning the Turtles and April O'Neil. He confirmed they were also emitting low-level phase variance at the cellular level which matched, in part, with Chi-You's readings. He believed they were out of sync with the dimension and part of the breach Kylie reported. After introductions, Egon suggested they reconvene at the Firehouse where there was equipment that could be used to track Chi-You and Casey Jones. Donatello's skepticism towards the existence of ghosts and inclination towards an alien theory caught Egon's attention. Egon made it clear ghosts existed and aliens didn't. When news of an incident at the Madison Square Garden reached the Ghostbusters, Egon felt time was better served building a teleportation unit but Leonardo pointed out not all of the Turtles were mechanically inclined. Egon revealed the energy readings he detected off the Turtles and April were degrading, readings that were crucial in them returning home to their dimension. He estimated they had 72 hours at the most.
With the added task of severing the bond between Chi-You and his thralls, Egon agreed with Donatello's suggestion of utilizing low-voltage pulses. Hours later, Egon presented modified Arm Mounted Proton Packs to the Turtles and instructed them to press the hand attachment to each thralls' chest. Meanwhile, Egon and Ray worked on building an Interspatial Teleportation Unit with April and Donatello. Once Casey was brought back, Egon examined him and determined he was back to normal. Egon went back to work on the teleporter with Donatello and suggested April work with Ray on an EMP device to take out Chi-You's thralls all at once. After several hours, Egon and Donatello made strides in recreating a functional teleportation unit in the Firehouse basement. Undaunted by the proximity alarm being tripped, Egon continued and had Donatello power on the unit. However, it became apparent Egon miscalculated the intense drain the teleportation unit would have on the containment grid's power supply. They rushed to stabilize the grid before it ruptured and caused a horrific explosion. Egon rerouted power from a panel and Donatello located several blown boards in the Containment Unit's control panel. They managed to avert disaster while the others captured Chi-You. Sparing any extraneous goodbyes, Egon stated it was time for them to go through the portal back to their proper dimension. Egon then adjusted the coordinates for Winston to dump the Trap holding Chi-You in Proxima Centauri.
The Ghostbusters returned to the Firehouse from a case and discovered parallel versions of themselves let Slimer loose by accident but retrapped him. They talked. Egon scanned and poked them. Egon suggested their first course of action should be a full battery of tests. With enough biometric data, they could be sent home. They went to the basement to look at the Interspatial Teleportation Unit. Egon and Ray compiled biometric data off the parallel Peter and Winston in order to isolate the frequency of their home dimension. A couple hours later, after double checking their findings, Egon confirmed they achieved a stable frequency and the parallel team could return home. P.K.E. readings take by Ray in the alternate Ghostbusters' dimension indicated Proteus had a potential susceptibility to quantum interruption. Egon held out a Proton Grenade and noted the yield had to be boosted. The Egons armed their Proton Grenades and tossed them at Proteus, effectively stunning him. The Ghostbusters caught him in their streams but as a result Proteus had to show them the future eight times. The Ghostbusters were knocked out.
During reconstruction at the Firehouse, Egon determined the integrity of the Containment Unit was maintained but that the damage to the building caused by Proteus would require a massive amount of money and effort to repair. He, himself, worked a lot of extended hours and wasn't sleeping much. He proposed they should talk about decentralizing operations and make use of the Ghostbusters' other properties. They were approached by Brent Mitchell to investigate a bizarre case of a woman named Karen Pearson who woke up missing an eye. The culprit, the Sandman, focused on Egon as his next target because of his habit of avoiding sleep. Ray, Peter, and Winston escaped their dream states and found Egon writing equations and notes in a room that looked like a limitless white board. The Sandman soon appeared to them. Egon conjured the Boson Pack and fired at him. The others joined in. Sandman conjured walls separating Ray, Peter, and Winston from himself and Egon. He proceeded to remove Egon's eye with a curved blade while admitting this was the first time someone fought him and caused him pain. After Ray, Peter, and Winston destroyed the barrier, Egon quickly instructed them to shoot the Sandman's hourglass totem. He was dispersed and the Ghostbusters regained consciousness on the physical plane. Back at the Warehouse, Ray determined that Egon only suffered superficial damage to the supraorbital foramen then shared his findings on the Sandman. Egon soon feel asleep.
During the bust at the United Nations Building, Egon's left leg was injured when the Werecat Ghost expelled chemically volatile ectoplasm on him. A $15,000 surcharge was added to the invoice to cover Egon's injury. As Egon was placed in the back of an ambulance, his P.K.E. Meter oddly registered something, but the paramedics were more concerned with treating him than handing it to him. Some new theories came to mind as he received medical attention and he wanted to explore where they led. He contacted Kylie and asked her to bring reference material, including the expanded Spates Catalog and three volumes of Kemp's Paranormal Encyclopedia, and six months of citywide P.K.E. scan logs. Kylie dropped them off at his apartment and tried to inquire about these "theories" but Egon rushed her into the hall. Egon got sick from some couscous he ordered from a new Moroccan restaurant down the block and was unable to attend the Ghostbusters' meeting with Erland Vinter a few days later.
As Egon continued with his recovery and investigation, he declined to take part in any extensive field work including a trip to Europe as part of a deal struck with Vinter. In particular, he refused to take any jobs with stairs. While the other Ghostbusters took a private jet to Venice, Egon visited the New York Public Library in search of a copy of "The Johansen Argument" but it was missing. He called up Ray's Occult and asked Kylie if the store had a copy but it appeared to have been already sold. He promptly hung up. During a confrontation with the Plague Doctor Ghost, Ray shot his way into a basement and discovered a Poveglian Artifact, a parchment drenched in P.K.E. with a rune drawn on it and with faint Swedish written underneath. Ray took photographs and emailed them a few hours later to Egon for a translation. They held a conference call. From his apartment, Egon confirmed the readings on the artifact matched both the readings he picked up at the United Nations and readings he took years ago in Sweden. He admitted it unearthed something of a "cold case" of his and confirmed he would continue with his investigation while the others were dispatched by Vinter to another city in Europe. Egon bid them to be careful, he didn't like where this was all heading. Egon looked at one of his old journals, open to a drawing of the exact rune on the Poveglian artifact.
Melanie informed Janine she wanted to borrow Egon and Kylie for a FBI investigation that just came up. She gave Melanie two cases to work with them while she was in town for the day and suggested she ask them for their help then. During the bust at The Olympia Restaurant, Egon prematurely blasted a register but Melanie jinxed it and one of the Olympia Restaurant Ghosts shot coins out of it. Egon tried to back out from helping Melanie on her case due to his vital research on a Scandinavian spell book. Melanie countered it was a four hour flight to Puerto Rico and he'd get plenty of reading done en route. On the off chance he was severely incapacitated during the Puerto Rico case, Egon recorded his research on the Rauoskinna for future reference. He was interrupted by the ghost in his research tank. Egon reminded him of the security measures in his apartment. He was surprised to see the ghost knew a certain gesture.
On May 12, Melanie, Egon, and Kylie arrived at a hospital in Cayey, Puerto Rico. After hearing Miguel Castillo's account of a woman in white, Egon posited they were dealing with a type of manifestation related to the Weeping Woman in White lore that included La Llorona from Mexican legend. They spent the next few hours searching locations where the ghost was sighted. After nearly exhausting every lead, the ghost appeared and tried to drown Kylie. Melanie was about to jump in after her but Egon cautioned her since Proton Packs were never tested for use in water. They watched as the ghost and a Proton Stream erupted from the surface, followed by Kylie. Despite extreme pain in his thigh muscle, Egon hurried after her with the others. It attacked Kylie with possessed earth. She used her Trap to trick her into vacating the earth. Melanie and Egon opened fire and wrangled her. Egon noticed she was almost strong enough to pull free because of his Arm Mounted Proton Pack's lower output. He threw out a Trap and captured her. They later found the Ghost Dog and determined it was just trying to warn people of the other ghost. Kylie and Egon returned home while Melanie stayed behind to verify they trapped the correct entity.
After the Cayey case, Egon got an epiphany while going over some data from recent encounters. He made some adjustments to the Psychokinetic Defibrillator to give it more offensive capability to efficiently force out a possessor while minimizing any harm done to the human host. Egon was interrupted by a visit from Loftur Þorsteinsson. Loftur presented a copy of "The Johansen Argument." Egon saw through his story about being referred by Eduardo Rivera and blasted him with the Defibrillator. However, no damage was done. Egon realized he wasn't possessed. Loftur sent Egon flying across his room. Loftur formally introduced himself. Egon released the Gulper Ghost and it slimed Loftur. Egon called him a coward for trying to manipulate the Ghostbusters into finding the Rauoskinna. Loftur admitted he should have directly asked the them for help then offered a deal to Egon, help him locate the book. Egon refused. Loftur atomized Egon and mused they might talk again once he's thought about his answer. Egon experienced a state of profound relaxation and peace, was able to fully focus his thoughts, and began working on solving the Riemann Hypothesis. The Ghostbusters and staff reviewed the security footage. Peter was nonchalant about Egon's disappearance and recalled when the four of them were kidnapped by the Collectors a few years back. Ray speculated he could have been sent to a parallel dimension or a sub-quantum pocket realm. Peter stressed they should explore all options before concluding the worst. Kylie and Melanie searched his apartment and came across his recorder. It pointed them to Logbook 2714 where he kept his research on the Rauoskinna. However, Kylie had a difficult making out his notes. It was decided they would recruit the Egon from the parallel dimension they had recently met. He confirmed Egon's research and their recent encounters indicated they were being manipulated into finding the Rauoskinna. Kaia May arrived and verified it further. She passed along an ultimatum to the Ghostbusters. If they delivered the Rauoskinna, Egon would be restored.
The Ghostbusters and most of the support staff met with Loftur at Umpire Rock in Central Park at midnight. Ray held a lighter to the Rauoskinna and demanded Egon's return. Loftur didn't care and blasted the lighter out of his hands. Jenny Moran panicked and read a spell from the book. It cast everyone but Winston to Hell. Loftur was filled with dread as The Devil approached them. He promised to return everyone to Earth and bring back Egon if they gave him the book. They declined and The Devil collected his soul. The Devil called it even with the Ghostbusters and gave them permission to leave. During their journey, Aibell sensed the Rauoskinna and teleported them to her home, Craig Liath in Ireland. She called in her favor from Peter and asked for the book. Janine wanted to hold onto the book until they were sure there was nothing that could be used to bring back Egon. As a token of good faith, Aibell used her powers to restore Egon back to life. Janine immediately hugged him. Egon only recalled being in his apartment then stated he needed to scan himself at once. Peter handed the book to Aibell but Jenny destroyed it, deeming it was too evil. Aibell was furious and vaporized Jenny. Peter insisted he complied with her demands. Aibell was at a loss and tossed him on the Egons. She angrily sent them back to Central Park. Winston hugged Egon. Back at the Firehouse, Egon was subjected to the Aura Video-Analyzer and asked a series of questions. The Ghostbusters were called away to the Bronx to deal with a dog-eating-toilet. As they departed, Egon smiled - causing Ray to become concerned. Egon remarked it was good to be back. He ultimately chose to process the experience intellectually and forced himself not to process it emotionally.
Egon was present when Ray's students Cait Banner, Zoe Zawadzki, and Evan Torres asked what Slimer was a ghost of. Egon acknowledged there were theories. Egon didn't believe Kylie's theory he was a chef working at the Sedgewick Hotel but conceded it wasn't outside the realm of possibility that he could have been a vagrant given his anti-social behavior and obsession with food. After Ray shared his findings, they were amazed to see and hear Slimer talk to them for the first time and state he was once a king. Ray, Egon, and Kylie rushed around to document the development. Cait, Zoe, and Evan found Peter hiding in the sleeping quarters and asked if they did all right. Peter thought of something else and spoke into his walkie talkie. No one noticed the other walkie talkie he hid behind the containment tank. Slimer 'spoke' again and revealed Ray gave him Egon's stash of snack cakes to see if it would digest differently. Egon wasn't pleased to hear it.
During an incident on Coney Island, Egon and Ray searched the sewers for the true source of the disturbance while Peter and Winston dealt with a nostalgic Class 3 ghost on the surface. Ray and Egon discovered a pool of Psychomagnotheric Slime. Upon further inspection, Ray realized it was positively charged and clued Egon in. Ray concluded it was for the best to neutralize it before it did something worse than influence a ghost. He suggested using negative emotions then Egon suddenly punched him in the face. Ray clarified to directly apply it to the slime. Egon cited how he was recently atomized by Loftur as the reason for the misunderstanding. Ray wasn't falling for it and recalled Egon used that same excuse when he stole his Lo Mein from the company refrigerator. Ray asked for a Proton Grenade then threw it in. Egon contributed by urinating into the slime. They underestimated the slime's reaction and it erupted all over Coney.
During the appearance of twin Statues of Liberty, Egon encountered Kevin Beckman in the Firehouse. Since Beckman was so interested in Slimer, Egon told him he could name it if he was good. Erin Gilbert, Jillian Holtzmann, Patty Tolan, and Abby Yates later met up outside the Firehouse and entered. After some confusion with Kevin Tanaka, Egon interjected from the stairwell and deduced Beckman was with them. Both teams and the support staff gathered on the second floor. Egon used his Dimensional Frequency Scanner on Abby and verified hers was in pronounced state of flux. Abby didn't quite understand and became irritated, claiming her frequency was just fine. The conversation moved to the basement, where the teleportation unit was demonstrated and a portal was opened to their dimension. Holtzmann stuck her hand through and it reappeared above her arm. It was worse than what Egon initially suspected. He stated the frequency fluctuation indicated that their respective dimensions were in a state of overlap. Abby didn't outright accept that claim and asked for more proof like a control like any scientist would use in an experiment. Egon called up a stable alternative and invited Holtzmann to try again. She thrust her head through the portal and observed the Firehouse of the Ghostbusters who were pursued by the god Proteus. Ray and Egon explained their study of other dimensions and the theoretical ramifications of when they crossed the streams on Gozer's portal years ago.
Egon remained behind at the Firehouse while most of both teams headed out to Ellis Island. He gathered some equipment for research and carried them back to the lab in a cardboard box. Abby noticed the Ghost Sniffer and Long-Range P.K.E. Scanner first. A build-up of P.K.E. released an amount of pressure large enough to rock the Firehouse. Equipment from the other dimension's Firehouse appeared in the office area. Egon and Abby set out to collect data. They ended up in City Hall Park. Abby noticed the Ley Lines were the same in this Manhattan and they were lit up. Egon checked with the Ecto Monocle and confirmed. Abby admitted the best solution she could think of wouldn't stop the situation from getting worse. Egon concurred and stated they needed more information about what the 101 pilot team did. He dialed Jenny's cellphone and asked if they were still with her at the Warehouse. They already left but Jenny remembered Ray still had a class scheduled the next day. She asked if something was up. Egon simply replied "yes" and hung up.
Egon, Ray, Kylie, Abby, and Erin scanned the 101 pilot team for residual ectoplasm so they could track the Bronx Spook. He gathered that the teleportation unit's portal was shut with enough of the ghost's spectral mass on this side to tether it to both dimensions. He theorized it could draw enough power from the psychokinetic energy between dimensions to cause the dimensional overlap. Egon, Ray, and Kylie concluded it was a three-part problem. They had to sever the ghost's connection to the Manhattan Ley Lines, pull it fully into their dimension and trap it, and seal the breach behind it. Erin returned to the lab with Abby, who had an idea to re-purpose their Containment Unit into a vehicle. They went to work on the Ultimate Mobile Trap. Holtzmann was aghast at the sight of the Containment Unit. Abby believed they would to get used to the overlap if the plan didn't work. Egon clarified if the plan didn't work, the world would be overrun with ghosts and the misalignment of their dimensional frequencies would shake the world apart at a molecular level inside of six months. Egon tuned the Ultimate Mobile Trap to the overlapping frequency of the other dimension so it would trap the ghost when activated. He joined the standby teams above Times Square in the scenario where they would have to help pull the ghost from between dimensions. After the ghost was trapped, the breach remained. Erin suggested crossing the streams to close it and split their dimensions. Ray objected but Peter stated they did it twice without any major after-effects. Egon stated that wasn't how probability worked but didn't think they had any other choice in the matter. It worked but Egon estimated there would be some residual memories duplicated in some people.
Ray and Egon attempted to recalibrate the sensor array set-up on the Dimensional Inverter on the second floor. Ray asked for the needle nose pliers and sarcastically commented finding a working security measure for the Interspatial Teleportation Unit was easier. Egon felt the level of difficulty was comparable. As soon as Ray finished, the Inverter sensed an extra-dimensional incursion and the alarm sounded. They were surprised to see Donatello cross over. Donatello quickly explained he and his brothers were attacked by strange entities. The strange entities, the Collectors, crossed over and grabbed Donatello. They recognized Ray and Egon. After shrugging off a Proton Stream fired by Ray, the Collectors warned them not to interfere or they would turn their attention back to them. Peter and Winston were called up for a meeting. Egon revealed the Collectors left behind trace ectoplasm that would yield the dimensional frequency of their limbo. Ray hinted he already had an idea on how to deal with the Collectors. Over a period of roughly three weeks, they formulated a plan and devised new technology to aid them, Remote Portal Access Bands to allow them to open portals in the field and Experimental Mental Communications Devices to temporarily camouflage Donatello's presence. Peter, Ray, and Winston went through the Interspatial Teleportation Unit to the Collectors' Limbo and instructed only Donatello to go through. Egon explained the situation as they went up to the third floor. Egon revealed he needed Donatello's knowledge of transdimensional mechanics to construct a permanent means of containment for the Collectors while the others slowed them down with random dimensional hopping. To compound things, Egon turned Donatello's attention to a simulation he was running. It was projected the others had less than a day before they would be captured. Donatello asked if there was a way to warn them. Egon confirmed there was but he preferred to use it when absolutely needed because it required a lot of power.
Donatello admitted he was amazed with how much Egon and Ray modified his original design for the teleportation unit as well as with inventing the access bands. Egon admitted a drawback of the technology was it stirred up P.K.E. and attracted ghosts. Egon revealed the idea was to combine the portal technology with the Trap to directly transport the four Collectors into the Containment Unit. He needed Donatello's help to recreate the original technology rather than spend days on trial and error because he and Ray modified their unit immensely. And Ray might have lost the notes Donatello left behind when Egon was temporarily dead. Before Donatello could question Egon about being dead, data from the dimensional breach alarm allowed Egon's simulation to more accurately predict when the Collectors would capture the others. They had even less time. Donatello got an idea on how to prevent the Collectors from escaping before they could trap them. While they worked on the Trap-Gate, Donatello believed they had to boost the power of the Trap-Gate by a factor of three for it to be a one-way trip for the Collectors. Donatello's Communications Device suddenly went haywire and he suffered neural confusion with Winston. His speech pattern and inflections began to resemble Winston's. Likewise, across dimensions, Winston's began to resemble Donatello's. Donatello observed it felt like his soul was in two places again. Egon moved to adjust the sensitivity when he realized Donatello said "again." He briefly felt like his brain was everywhere at once and gleaned the Collectors breaching dimensions. Janine entered the room with a delivery from Kung Fu Hustle Supply Emporium. She was concerned to see Donatello in distress. Egon admitted it was partly his fault but Donatello downplayed it. Egon was concerned. Janine suggested he sit down for a bit but Donatello insisted there was no time for that because he could feel the Collectors searching for the Turtles then revealed his idea was to build proton-powered ninja arsenal based on the Turtles' primary weapons.
Egon and Donatello went to the Warehouse to use the ionized glass enclosure to test their prototypes. Egon cautioned Donatello the glass may not be able to withstand too many hints from his Proton Weapon then placed a Trap into a slot and released a Mouth Critter Ghost into the enclosure with Donatello. Donatello asked Egon to humor his request and talk about what it was like being dead. Egon was surprised and asked if wanted to just focus on the matter at hand. He offered to provide copies of all the tests he took upon his return. Beyond that, Egon didn't think there was much to tell. Donatello explained talking while fighting was something he did with his brothers and found it comforting. He added he found the ghost terrifying and asked Egon to humor him. Egon replied he experienced a feeling of peace and was able to fully focus on his thoughts then asked Donatello what he meant by his soul being in two places. Donatello explained he was mortally wounded and his consciousness was temporarily placed in a robot shell. He likened it to a dream, sometimes clear and sometimes fuzzy. Donatello managed to hit the ghost with his proton-powered staff. The ghost retaliated and knocked him across the enclosure. The force and Donatello's shell made a crack in the glass. Donatello decided to try the Trap-Gate but soon realized they miscalculated the power needed. Egon grabbed the Trap but remembered there was a safety in place that kept the door locked to keep any active ghosts contained. He asked Donatello to stall but noticed he sounded like Winston again. Egon instructed him not to let himself drift then asked him to continue with his story. Donatello recalled his body was hollow but part of him felt warm. Egon ripped out several red wires and unlocked the door. He threw out the Trap and recaptured the ghost. Egon concluded they had to boost the Trap-Gate's power considerably then inquired if he ever felt guilty about coming back. Donatello replied he shouldn't but admitted he did and read up on Survivor's Guilt. They rushed back to the Firehouse to do their final modifications.
Donatello finished soldering the Trap-Gate and completed boosting it five fold. Egon reminded him they had to capture all four Collectors or they would escape. Donatello reassured him they were ready thanks to the Proton Weapons then probed him about his death again. Egon stated he would have preferred a robot was involved then admitted he would have been preferred to been restored to life by technology than by a god. He didn't want to push their luck and decided it was time to contact the others. Donatello checked the access bands' trackers and realized they were all in the same place. Fearing they were recaptured, they rushed down from the third floor to the basement and used the teleportation unit. Donatello went through with his Proton Weapon ready. Egon and Janine waited in the basement for the others to return then they went over the plan to capture the Collectors in detail. Egon performed some calculations and determined the odds were in favor that they would manifest in Central Park. Peter distracted them then the Turtles attacked while Egon and Ray fine-tuned the Trap-Gate to their unique P.K.E. signature. It was a success and they were transported into the Containment Unit. Egon was fascinated by Michelangelo's comment about Ghostbusturtles while the others were shocked. A short time later, the Turtles prepared to return home. Donatello thanked Egon and promised to send a detailed set of data on the Metalhead experiment when he figured out where it all was. Egon admitted he was actually salivating.
The Ghostbusters were called to investigate City Water Tunnel No. 3. Based on Murdock the Miner's account of opening a box from a side cavern, Egon didn't think they were dealing with a typical ghost of an accident. The strong readings confirmed as much. They headed into the cavern and found the box. Egon got an extraordinarily high P.K.E. signature off of it and wanted to run tests and find out where it came from. Peter pointed to an entity hovering above them. Ray attempted to communicate but it simply warned him against giving away his name so freely then disappeared. They were slimed by a swarm of Bat Spectral Constructs. Egon noticed the readings dropped but advised the miners to wait at least a day to resume work and promised to have a P.K.E. alarm installed for their safety. He believed the entity's Irish accent, unique appearance, and the box were enough clues to start researching. A short time later, Ron came along as the fourth with Ray, Egon, and Kylie since Peter and Winston weren't answering. Ray joked his presence may also be a curse and Egon was going to look into it. Ron just wanted to get the bust over with, get his recertification paperwork, and leave. He added he wanted to get a look at the schematics for the teleportation unit. Egon refused. Ron took out a badge and claimed the Chicago Ghostbusters had a right for parity with the main branch. Egon asked what the badge was for. Ron explained it was so people knew he was a Ghostbuster when he was out of uniform. Egon noted they never had that problem. Egon stated the Chicago branch had no need for a dimensional portal because they took no part in research, which was what it was almost exclusively used for. Ron claimed he did research. Ray pinched his cheeks and mocked him for thinking what he did was research. Ron called bull and believed they just didn't want to share.
After they arrived at Grand Central Station, Egon stated they explore alternate realities to answer the questions they never knew they had, the kind of research they got into parapsychology for. Ray added they didn't want to share with Ron. Ron vowed the conversation wasn't over. Kylie initiated PCOC and they city's evacuation protocol, Code Dan, and cleared the station. Connla recognized Egon and Ray from a previous encounter in City Tunnel No. 3. He dodged Kylie's proton stream and asked them if they were druids. Ray denied it and referred him as "Sammy" since it was believed he was an entity that manifested during Samhain. Ron called him out for mispronouncing the name and pointed out Halloween was still weeks away. Connla confirmed it wasn't his usual time to manifest but the veil to the other side was so thin, he couldn't resist the opportunity to widen it permanently. Then he punched Ron. Ray reckoned he couldn't be that bad. Egon agreed then threw a Proton Grenade. The explosion blew off Connla's head and the ectoplasm splashed onto Ron, to his chagrin. Ray clarified he was joking and punching Ron wasn't a metric for goodness. Egon argued it was one for basic sentience. Kylie captured Connla in a stream then Ron trapped him. Connla was insulted from being attacked from behind then entrapped. He escaped the Trap in an enraged state and grabbed Kylie by the throat. He pointed out they tried to trap him without even knowing his real name. Connla's head reformed then it, his eyes, and ribs ignited. Kylie noticed a ring on his right middle finger. With little other choice, Ron dispersed Connla with an atomizing stream. Kylie was enraged and pointed out he was going to reconstitute in a few days, having absorbed a ton of ambient psychokinetic energy in the process. Egon suggested they make the most of the time Ron bought them by coming up with a permanent solution. Ray asked who was going to call Peck about the mess. They noticed ectoplasm was now all over the station. Kylie quickly excused herself from contention with a "not it."
As a result of being in direct contact during the dispersal, a latent mental link was forged. In the few days before Connla's reconstitution, Kylie had a precognitive dream about her and the four original Ghostbusters encountering Connla's Army. Connla declared the veil to the other side would open permanently, more armies would come, and night would last forever. She awoke and went to the Firehouse to share details of the dream with the others. Egon noticed strange readings picked up by the Dream Analyzer Helmet but lied to her they were normal to assuage her fears. Kylie admitted she felt physical sensations during the dream. Egon asserted no matter what, they took dreams seriously. Peter contended he never took his seriously. Janine added they all learned that lesson already. Peter brought up the ghost had an Irish accent and hinted at a connection to Kylie like with Janine and the Draguar. Egon doubted it. Kylie revealed her great-grandfather chose her family's surname when he immigrated to America because it had a good ring to it. She realized something and ran off to double check her theory. Janine yelled out to leave the helmet on the front desk. She signed and reckoned Ray had too much of an influence on her. Peter thought Egon was more to blame. With knowledge of the army coming, Egon went to work preparing for the possibility. He dug out a Remote Portal Access Band from a box.
As Connla was trapped, he ordered his army to destroy the Ghostbusters then free him. More and more ghosts manifested. Lacking enough Traps, Kylie regretted sending Egon's friend away in his helicopter. Egon assured her it was fine and used his access band to teleport away. Ron was infuriated and thought he ran away. Ray ordered everyone to keep the ghosts at bay until Egon returned. Egon returned soon after and opened six portals. Proton Streams shot out at the ghosts and teams of Ghostbusters from different dimensions emerged. The rest of the Chicago Ghostbusters, the Real Ghostbusters of Dimension 68-R, the Extreme Ghostbusters of Dimension 68-E, the Ghostbusters of Dimension 50-S, the Ghostbusters of Dimension 80-C, and Mike the Golem joined the fight. Egon of 68-R, Roland Jackson of 68-E, and Abby of 80-C checked their respective P.K.E. Meters and confirmed all the ghosts were captured. Ray and Egon prepared to conduct an experiment aimed at observing the interior of the Containment Unit. Ray hoped it tapped into a pocket dimension like the unit of their counterparts' in Dimension 68-R, the Real Ghostbusters. Egon turned a valve and insisted they still needed to be very careful. He felt it was potentially dangerous territory and didn't care to speculate how many days they went without an incident. Ray emphasized it was a lot and stipulated as long as there was no direct connection to the Containment Unit when they fired up the dimensional portal, everything would stay perfectly copacetic. Egon inquired if he was going to turn off the interdimensional transport array but Ray revealed it was running a diagnostic to sync up the monitoring equipment. He felt it was okay as long as no one activated the portal and Containment Unit at the same time. Ray left a note just to be safe then they left to eat. Ray was thinking of orange duck. Peter later tried to deposit the captured Phyllis Hasskamp but unbeknownst to him and the others, Ron and Holtzmann built their own Remote Access Teleportation Unit that piggybacked off the original teleportation unit in the basement and tested it. Before Peter could turn it off, the basement was enveloped in a white flash. Egon's resurrection did not go unnoticed. Death came to the decision he wasn't supposed to survive and gave Egon his full attention.
Egon disagreed with Ray's assessment of the Containment Unit after the explosion. In addition to a blown capacitor, Egon discovered several major entities were missing and thus, the structural integrity was compromised. Gareth Dibello was suddenly released. He took control of a Proton Pack and fired at Holtzmann while the others took cover. The teleportation unit activated and several miniature portals were generated. Dibello flew through one with Holtzmann but she got stuck halfway. Egon and Ray pulled Holtzmann back into the basement, with part of Dibello's arm, just in time before the portal closed. Egon looked at the logs and realized all the missing entities used similar portals to go to other dimensions. Once Peter regained consciousness in the hospital, he had Egon summarize what happened. To contain the situation, Ray and Egon moved the teleportation unit to the Warehouse. In order to capture and return all the entities in the quickest and most efficient manner, Egon gathered in the support staff, Chicago Ghostbusters, and nine teams from other dimensions they worked with before. They had to re-capture and return all the entities, or an equivalent amount of P.K.E., back into the Containment Unit then recalibrate it as soon as possible or else there would be a fatal structural collapse. He opened the floor to questions.
Ray was about to go over the equipment but Gabriel Sitter spoke up. Samuel Hazer asked why they didn't just use the teleportation unit to go back in time and prevent the entire incident from happening. Ray tried to explain it wasn't a time machine but Kylie Griffin and Eduardo Rivera, of the Extreme Ghostbusters, pointed out they were trained by Egon Spengler, an older version of the Egon from The Real Ghostbusters, who was perplexed. Roland Jackson believed that was proof of an element of time travel. Alan and Gabriel chimed in about how they could have used it. Janine heard enough and whistled. She yelled at everyone to listen, shut up, and pay attention. Egon thanked her then reiterated the teleportation unit could not time travel but time was a dimension they could access in so far as they went to parallel realities that could be further ahead or further behind what they knew as the present but no action they took had an effect on their timeline. After Melanie left with Winston, Rookie, Dani, Lou, and Holtzmann to take care of a case at the George Washington Bridge, Egon explained the functions of the Remote Portal Access Band. Some screams interrupted him. Egon requested someone to turn the volume down. Kevin apologized. Erin Gilbert asked if they should go and help the field team. Egon was probably sure they were fine and continued. He moved on to the Trap-Gates and using them to send an entity directly into the Containment Unit. The 101 Pilot team was tasked with watching over the teleportation unit's controls under the supervision of Egon Spengler of Dimension 68-E, the mentor of the Extreme Ghostbusters. Egon introduced him to everyone. Egon also convinced Janine to come along on the retrieval mission.
A field team consisting of Egon Spengler, Winston Zeddemore, Alan Crendall of Dimension 50-S, Abby Yates of Dimension 80-C, Eduardo Rivera of Dimension 68-E, and Winston Zeddemore of Dimension 68-R arrived outside the gates of Helsingor Brewery in Dimension 75-B. Winston guessed the Remote Portal Access Band's randomization circuits made an error and shuffled the teams around. Abby didn't see the point of randomization circuits in teleportation technology. Egon explained they were useful in helping the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles escape The Collectors but they only generated a portal to a random dimension. He added they were also built into the Trap-Gates, too. He shut up mid-sentence upon recognizing Tiamat's P.K.E. signature and became worried for everyone. Death blocked their path into the brewery. Abby couldn't believe Death might be the ghost they were after and questioned what would happen if it was trapped then declared it couldn't be personified. Winston disagreed and reminded her he told her team that Death was trapped in a backpack. Before Abby could retort, Egon asked them to stop bickering in front of Death and tried to explain to it they were in the middle of rectifying an error. Death countered it was, too, and stated it came for Egon, who it thought was not supposed to come back to life. Not ungrateful for helping free it, Death proposed a game of chess for his life and soul. Egon thought chess was just an affectation of the movies. Death confirmed as much but admitted it found the concept amusing. Egon asked for clarification if accepting meant his colleagues could continue into the brewery. Death confirmed. Egon accepted but he was blocked from pulling out a chair. Death explained he accepted the challenge but he wasn't going to play. Death chose Eduardo instead.
Egon elected to search the brewery with the others instead of watching the game and risk making Eduardo nervous. After he explained himself, he heard laughter. Egon turned to Abby but she denied it was her. The Fire Goblins burst out a vat of warm beer atop a Moose Ghost. Death began playing mind games, telling Eduardo he wasn't going to win and the game was merely a courtesy because Egon shouldn't have returned. Eduardo countered if things didn't return all the time, there wouldn't be any ghosts to get busted. Death called check. Eduardo wished he went into the brewery. Winston couldn't recall ever trapping a damn moose. Egon explained it was new but the Fire Goblins were trapped when he went on a vacation but suddenly clutched his chest in pain. Abby ran over and checked Egon. She confirmed his pulse was still strong and nothing was visibly wrong but noticed Egon's heart beats were far apart. She almost got hit by flames. Abby had enough and blew up the Moose Ghost with a Proton Grenade. Alan and Winston 68-R wrangled the Fire Goblins and Winston captured them with a Trap-Gate. Alan checked his P.K.E. Meter and called the room clean aside from the Moose Ghost's particles. Winston told everyone Egon was unconscious but still alive and it was time to head outside and keep him that way.
Egon started to regain consciousness as Winston and Abby carried him outside. Egon stated his spirit felt like a kite tethered to his body by the thinnest of strings and the wind was blowing very hard. Abby teased him about getting so poetic but was glad he was back. Alan speculated the reason was because Eduardo made the right move against Death. Eduardo declared checkmate. Death smashed the table in anger. Abby thought Death was supposed to be better at chess than that. Egon explained he was emulating a movie and in that story, Death only won because he cheated and tricked his opponent into giving away his strategy. Death decided he was going to reap everyone. Abby reacted quickly and trapped him. Egon blasted the Trap-Gate apart before it transported Death into the Containment Unit. He explained trapping Death was going to create a spectral bottleneck and influence a massive P.K.E. surge. Egon realized it would be chaos and they were being manipulated by Tiamat. He opened a portal but Death suddenly dispersed it by slicing it in half with his sickle. Unable to trap him or disperse him, Winston 68-R and Winston wrangled Death to keep him immobile while Egon opened another portal. Egon warned them they would have a fraction of a second to escape Death once they released him. Winston joked it was a good thing they kept in shape. After all the others went through, Egon called out to them. Instead of returning to the prime dimension, the team was redirected by Tiamat to the Collectors' Limbo. Egon tried to tell Winston about detecting Tiamat's P.K.E. signature earlier in the mission but didn't want to alarm him at the time but Winston told him to save it. He was already alarmed. The 23 Ghostbusters beheld Tiamat standing before them in a towering form.
The field teams were whisked away by Tiamat to the Collectors' Limbo. Rather than serve her, they fought back. Tiamat's appearance confirmed Egon 68-R's suspicions that a Class 7 was following them. Egon countered she was influencing their situation. Winston came up with an ad hoc plan to utilize the remaining Trap-Gates to strip Tiamat's P.K.E. and send it to random dimensions. Egon was one of the seven to use a Trap-Gate on her. Peter, Egon, and Ray invited Winston to be the one to trap her. She cursed them all as she was pulled in. Despite the ghosts recaptured and the ghosts captured by the fill-in teams, the Containment Unit was still on the verge of total meltdown.Jenny sacrificed herself and went into the unit to stabilize it. Overcome with anger, Ray shot the teleportation unit. Holtzmann objected but Peter asked if she heard what just happened then reckoned Egon could fix it in a couple of hours. Egon claimed less. Holtzmann rescinded her panic then reminded Ray about the Containment TV Monitor he and Egon were working on.
After a day's worth of work, Egon, Ray, Egon 68-R, and Holtzmann of 80-C finished work on the Containment TV Monitor. Once the grid was stable and the monitor was ready, it was turned on. It worked and Ray inputted Jenny's P.K.E. signature. Jenny was found but a Mail Fraud Ghost charged her. Ray was aghast but Holtzmann told him to slow down. Jenny punched out the ghost. Holtzmann declared they were locked in there with her. Ray was relieved and hugged everyone at once. Ray vowed to make sure Jenny's promise they would see each other again would come true. Before Holtzmann left, Egon asked for her thoughts on a new application to old research of his. Holtzmann read his strip of paper but it made no sense. Ray inquired what that was. In reality, it was Egon's subliminal messaging code. He reworked it to interrupt any memory of the transdimensional technology. Ray asked if there were any side effects. Holtzmann was confused why the Chicken Dance was suddenly stuck in her head. Egon didn't think there were any side effects as far as he knew and planned to show it to Ron next. Ray was satisfied and added they should limit their dimensional travel for the time being. He didn't think he could handle anymore change for awhile.
Two days after a highly charged artifact was confiscated from the Metropolitan Museum of Art, Ray and Egon hit a dead-end in trying to identify it. There was no mention it in Tobin's Spirit Guide, Spates Catalog, or any of the dozen books they amassed for research. Ray reminded him they were dealing with a time bomb. They couldn't make out the etchings on the tablet either, initially thinking they were Greek. Peter carried in more books that just arrived then tipped Egon's water bottle by mistake. The water oddly flowed in a circle around the tablet. An Atlantean Priest Ghost manifested and spoke in an unknown language. Ray guessed it was Italian. Egon had no idea. The ghost suddenly possessed Egon and asked what happened with the cataclysm of Atlas' Land. Peter deferred to Ray. The ghost decided to see for himself and flew through the window into the city.
They found Egon, in a transmogrified state, at Penn Station. Ray addressed the ghost and warned it to leave Egon's body or face swift and terrible consequences. The ghost ignored him and bemoaned how the world was not better since the fall of Atlantis. He noted how men still lived hungry on the streets, the laws were not respected, and even the very air burned in one's chest. He revealed that was exactly why priests begged Ennosigaios for help. Peter informed him they heard the "world is too sick to survive" line before. He told Ray to hose him. Ray fired his Slime Blower and doused Egon's body with positively charged Psychomagnotheric Slime. The ghost was ejected from Egon. In his native language, he called them fools and declared the "Earth-Shaker" would come again and seal the fate of Manhattan. Egon understood the context of his threat. Back at the Firehouse, he took a shower then returned downstairs. He interrupted Peter and Janine's banter and explained he and Ray believed the ghost intended to summon a primordial being to both attack and destroy Manhattan. Janine was naturally concerned. Egon explained summoning a god wasn't as simple as flipping a switch and they had time on their side. He also already deduced it was attempt the summoning in Battery Park at dawn. According to Atlantean lore, dawn was when the priests prayed to Poseidon. The Ghostbusters searched the park in the early morning the next day. Peter inquired why he was so sure the ghost would appear in the park. Egon replied logic and P.K.E. readings both confirmed it as the most likely locations. He poked a light pole in front of him. Peter relented but asked why they had to go out at dawn. Winston eventually sighted the ghost at the eastern side of the waterfront. The ghost concluded its prayer, begging Poseidon to use the tablet from his temple to use as a beacon and come to show mankind the meaning of fear again because the message of Atlantis' demise was ignored. The Ghostbusters trapped him and the tablet was a completely average artifact. Ray kept on rambling until Poseidon sent out a small earthquake. Egon told him it was clearly a warning. Peter conceded they may have lost a chance at a bonus but he thought Egon and Ray could make some money from writing a book on Atlantis using pictures of the tablet. Ray admitted everything happened so fast, he forgot to document anything.
The Ghostbusters exited Ecto-1 with their gear and climbed out of the sinkhole outside Prospect Park. Ray sighed at Ecto-1's predicament. Egon wiped his glasses and told Ray it wasn't a loss since they could have it hoisted and make improvements. Peter reminded everyone they had a ghost to blast first. They went into the park in search of it. The Ghostbusters engaged the ghost at the shore of the Prospect Lake. Winston admitted he was tired and just wanted to go home and catch up on the Dodgers. Peter was taken aback by Winston's loyalties. Ray went on a tangent about lacrosse and the Iroquois. Egon suggested it was time to capture the ghost. Ray threw out a Trap and caught the ghost. He was about to continue about lacrosse but Egon cut him off and suggested they should take another look at Ecto-1 and call in assistance. They returned and were perplexed with the presence of two Ecto-1 cars. Ray checked and confirmed it was still in the sinkhole. Egon detected something like a ghost on his P.K.E. Meter. Winston pointed out Starscream was behind him. Starscream ordered them to leave him alone because he only meant to speak to the "Autobot." They quickly wrangled and trapped him. Egon became concerned with the skewed readings. Ray believed it would be as easy as drawing a sample from the Trap and running some tests. Winston was curious what an Autobot was. Ectronymous Diamatron transformed into his robot form and revealed himself to the Ghostbusters.
Ectronymous introduced himself and stated he meant no harm. He was surprised they weren't intimidated then explained he came to Earth in search of a signal native to his home planet Cybertron and the Trap was interfering with it so he requested it to be de-powered. Ray speculated a ghost was animating Ecto-1. Egon disagreed and staked Ray's reputation on it. Winston pointed out Ectronymous already said it was an alien. Egon refused to accept that. Ectronymous took offense to being called an "it" and repeated he wanted the Trap turned off. At an impasse. Ectronymous activated a miniature blaster on his right wrist and shot the Trap. Starscream was released and shot at them in a rage. The Ghostbusters opened fire and wrangled him again. Starscream noticed Ectronymous' Autobot signal, called for a truce, and returned to his blue hue. Starscream told them about how Cybertron was destroyed by Gozer. Ray was surprised to hear Gozer visited Cybertron. Egon pointed out they still had no accurate account of how many worlds it visited before 1984. Starscream revealed a being named Kremzeek appeared to them and made a deal: escape Gozer's wrath but become his slaves. Egon picked up another reading. Lightning struck and a Kremzeek Sprite emerged from the crater. Starscream became irate and told them to kill it immediately. Peter failed to see how a little bean would be a problem. Egon confirmed it had a high-spectrum P.K.E. reading. Peter relented and trapped the sprite but the Trap blew up. Starscream wondered how humans ever climbed out of the muck and told them to destroy the sprite with their Particle Throwers before it summoned Kremzeek. Ray turned to Egon. Egon stated he didn't like dispelling ghosts but noted the sprite was made of electricity as much as it was made of P.K.E. then theorized they could ground it while they dispelled its negative energy. Ray asked how they would ground it. Egon smirked. Minutes later, they wrangled the sprite. Egon instructed Ectronymous to do his part. Ectronymous thought it was madness he agreed to it. He sighed and poked the sprite with a finger. The sprite was successfully dispelled. He realized his communicator was damaged from blowing up the sprite and admitted he no back-up devices. Ray offered to help him with spare parts if he acted as their ride back to the Firehouse. Ectronymous accepted.
Back at the Firehouse, Egon and Ray repaired a loose connection and Ectronymous' communicator was fixed. He briefed Optimus Prime. The Ghostbusters were soon called to Brooklyn. Egon immediately detected a reading similar to the Kremzeek Sprite they encountered earlier. Erring on the side of caution, Egon suggested they modify a Trap just in case the entity also emitted an electrostatic discharge. Ray wondered if they should bypass the Cobbler Switch on the Trap. Egon thought that would be bad. Ectotron asked if he could take a look. He suddenly got an idea. Half an hour later, Peter and Winston managed to flush the Electric Ghost out of hiding. They all opened fire on it. Ray remarked it was a wild one and realized it was getting stronger. Egon agreed and noted they were in trouble if it was tapped into the city's power grid. Ectotron scanned around and verified there was a definite increase in the energy flow to Colchamiro's building from a utility pole. He rammed the pole down with an elbow. The ghost had a definite reaction to losing the connection. Ray threw out the modified Trap and successfully captured the ghost. Ray was surprised. Egon thought he could see the past. Winston told him that was called hindsight. Peter asked Egon where he left his phone.
The Ghostbusters took a rest then relocated to the Warehouse and started scanning for Starscream. Ray and Egon disassembled and analyzed the Trap Starscream escaped from. Ray was amazed by the scorch marks and speculated there was a power surge. Egon noticed traces of a second P.K.E. signature was being detected, too. Ray wondered if that meant a jailbreak but remembered there were safeguards to prevent that. After Ectotron apologized and promised to fix everything he broke, Egon revealed he got a firm fix on Starscream's P.K.E. signature. They departed for the Grosbeak Generating Station. After Peter got the site evacuated, Winston asked Egon what he was reading. Egon noted he was getting the same second P.K.E. signature and it was high spectrum but less than a Class 7. Winston asked where it was. Thunder clapped. Egon believed it was the dark clouds suddenly manifesting above them. Starscream soon appeared and was wrangled. Starscream called out to his master, Kremzeek, who absorbed him then went on a rant. The Ghostbusters took turns completing each others' sentences with Egon giving the cue to fire. Kremzeek violently broke free. Peter told Egon it was on him for breaking the mystique of them being so awesome they could finish each others' sentences.
Egon theorized shutting down Grosbeak would take away Kremzeek's power source and give them time to modify a Trap. Ray checked his P.K.E. Meter and reckoned one Trap would not be enough to hold Kremzeek. He believed shorting him out then dispersing him temporarily until they built something more effective was a better plan. He wished they had the Electric Ghost they trapped the previous night. Ectotron revealed they left that Trap inside him among some regular Traps, a canister of Psychomagnotheric Slime, and crumbs inside him. He found the four of them disgusting. Egon insisted he was just focused. The plan worked and both ghosts were dispersed. Ray cheered and lauded Coulomb's Law. Egon countered that wasn't how it worked. Ray suggested it could with electroplasmic entities in the mix. However, the dispersal freed the ghosts of Megatron, Shockwave, Soundwave, and Starscream. After Soundwave and Shockwave were trapped, Egon held up the Traps. Ectotron, however, was possessed by Megatron. Winston implored the others to think of a solution and stated he wasn't blowing anyone up. Egon agreed on account of Ectotron being a living being but admitted the autopsy could be fascinating. Ray reminded Egon he was part of the team and didn't think Egon would try to kill most of them. Peter thanked Ray for the stirring defense then pointed to the canister of Psychomagnotheric Slime Ectotron found earlier. Egon pointed out a small canister of it wouldn't be effective applied topically to the surface of such a large metal form and believed they had to disperse it inside Ectotron. Peter voted himself out of trying to find his gas cap. Ray suggested force feeding it. Winston pointed out he was 20 feet tall. Egon noted they had one Trap left and it wasn't enough to force spectral expulsion.
Peter elected to use the ectoplasm and yelled at Optimus to try to get Ectotron on his back. Ray poured the Psychomagnotheric Slime down his mouth. Megatron was ejected in a stream of Energon. Egon checked his P.K.E. Meter and alerted everyone of Megatron's re-manifestation. Megatron appeared in a new form but Ectotron and Ray trapped him. Ectotron revealed he wanted to explore space and look for more Cybertronian ghosts that could be saved. Optimus noted that would mean an extended leave of absence from the other Autobots but felt he proved he could handle it then greenlit the mission. Ectotron hugged and thanked Optimus. Ray liked the notion of ghosts in space. Peter and Winston shot down any aspirations since they had enough trouble on Earth to deal with but Egon found the thought intriguing, too.
After failing to get the junior team a day off, Alan insisted they just got back and were too exhausted to take on a case. Peter told him they were young and didn't need sleep. Alan wanted to at least change flight suits for a clean one. Egon was intrigued by the readings coming off the ectoplasmic residue on his. Alan informed him it was from a Moose Ghost that got blown up. Egon wanted to study it before the suit was further contaminated but Peter wasn't having any of it. After the junior team returned from Bayside, Egon scanned Alan's suit with the Giga Meter. He was surprised the readings weren't as dormant as he expected. Egon was buzzed on the intercomm system by the others and informed that the Trap they used to capture Wat was empty. Egon asked if they had any issues with the Containment Unit's secure access system. Alan elected himself and the team to figure it out while Egon studied his suit. Wat had stowed away on the suit and soon immobilized Egon, intent on using him to open the Containment Unit then conscripting the ghosts into an army so he could take over the physical plane.
The junior team returned and witnessed Wat dangling Egon in mid-air like a puppet. They fired on Wat but it transformed into its true form then chased after them into the streets. Wat proclaimed they were going to die. Bridget quipped they all would eventually but doubted they would today. Egon implored her not to antagonize it further. Gabriel believed Wat had the energy profile conducive to trapping but Egon informed them the Traps weren't powerful enough. Alan pointed out they lived in a major city and tasked Gabriel and Egon with tapping into a utility box for the extra power while everyone else tried to distract Wat. Gabriel hailed Alan on comms about a change in plans and asked him to lure Wat to the alley. Alan was exasperated. Wat clamped down on him. Alan blew Wat's head off and ran to Egon and Gabriel. Still headless, Wat took the bait and pursued Alan. Egon gave Gabriel the signal and he trapped Wat. Gabriel begged the question who was was the best. The ordeal triggered a city-wide black out. Egon presumed he shouldn't answer. Gabriel asked him to tell the others it was Samuel's fault.
Ghostbusters: Sanctum of Slime
Egon discovered the supernatural activity, caused by the Relic of Nilhe, had a predictable migratory progression southeast from its point of origin. According to his analysis, Egon believed it was headed to the Sedgewick Hotel. However, with the team exhausted, Egon suggested it was time for the junior team to take on their first solo mission. Some time later, with testimony from Janosz Poha, Egon allowed the junior team to follow a preemptive strategy and go after other shards of the Relic.
He appears in the cartoon with a blonde yellow hair color and red glasses. Much like his movie counterpart he is the egghead of the group. One noted difference between him and the movie version is in later seasons when he plays more of a leadership role than he did in the two films.
The following is part of the animated canon universe for this character:
- NOW Comics "The Real Ghostbusters"
- NOW Comics "The Real Ghostbusters starring in Ghostbusters II"
- NOW Comics "Slimer! and Marvel Comics Ltd Reissues
- Marvel Comics Ltd "The Real Ghostbusters"
- The Real Ghostbusters Magazine series
- IDW Comics "Mars Attacks The Real Ghostbusters" one-off
- IDW Comics "The Real Ghostbusters" back up story (four part series)
- Data East's "The Real Ghostbusters" video game
- "Extreme Ghostbusters" the video game
- "Extreme Ghostbusters: Code Ecto-1" the video game
- "Extreme Ghostbusters: The Ultimate Invasion" the video game
To read more about the Animated counterpart character, please check out "Egon Spengler "Animated".
- The character of Egon Spengler was named after Oswald Spengler and a classmate of Harold Ramis' at Senn High School named Egon Donsbach who was a Hungarian refugee.
- Christopher Walken, John Lithgow, Christopher Lloyd and Jeff Goldblum were considered for the role of Egon.
- Egon's character was envisioned as a human computer - a 'New Wave Mr. Spock'.
- The look and personality of Egon was inspired by Léon Krier, a Luxembourg architectural theorist and urban planner. Harold Ramis saw him on a high-end architectural journal. Krier was wearing a three-piece tweed suit that looked like it had been made in the 1930s, round horn-rimmed glasses, and had a haircut that went straight up.
- Harold Ramis also took inspiration from Egon Schiele, an Austrian Expressionist painter from the early twentieth century.
- Costume designer Suzy Benzinger found Egon's gray suit in a thrift store on St. Mark's place and his glasses in a eyeglass store on Seventh Avenue.
- When the crew started spraying water to simulate ecto-material raining down on everyone outside the Firehouse after the Containment Unit is shut down, someone from the wardrobe department ran out onto set telling the crew not to get Egon's suit wet because what was the only set they had.
- Egon's hairdo was done by a hairdresser named Peggy Semtob.
- In the first movie novelization, Egon spent his childhood in the quiet suburbs of Cleveland, Ohio.
- In the novelization, young Egon read books such as "The Mysteries of Latent Abnormality," "Electrical Applications of the Psycho-sexual Drive," "Your Friend the Fungus," "Astral Projections as an Untapped Power Source," and "The Necronomicon."
- Egon is also said to have a brother in the novel. Aside from the aforementioned Slinky, Egon's brother was said to own a Lionel train set, the tracks of which young Egon had commandeered to use in an experiment. Young Egon used three concentric rings from Plasticville houses in his brother's Lionel train layout as components in a compact explosive.
- In the novelization, Egon displayed a scientific attitude quite early in life, as he would pester librarians into ordering various arcane books to read, conducting an anti-gravity experiment utilizing a jungle gym and hundreds of feet of industrial copper wire (which managed to brown out all of Brooklyn in a crude EMP burst). By observing fellow high school students making out in the park and applying a variety of scientific principles, Egon managed to precisely forecast the exact number of VD cases in Ohio state for that year. As a result, most parents would express a strong aversion to letting their children associate with him.
- In the novelization, Peter introduced Egon and Ray to each other.
- In the novelization, Egon lives in an apartment and maintains a rooftop fungus farm.
- In the novelization, Egon tells Janine that his rationale behind his interest in spores, molds and fungi is that he believes that they will become the food of the future. To which Janine flatly replies "remind me to never have lunch with you."
- In the novelization, Egon was the first scientist to hypnotize a hamster by subjecting it to low-frequency radio waves. He also made a sonic gun that set off soft-drink cans at 100 yards.
- In the July 6 and August 5, 1983 draft, on page 14, a drug dealer tries to sell the guys dope but Egon misunderstands him, reaches in his pocket and gives him a joint instead.
- In the August 5, 1983 draft, Egon is revealed to have been the sole reason Peter got through graduate school.
- In the August 5, 1983 draft, on page 13, and in the September 30, 1983 draft, on page 15, Egon patches his mini-computer into a pay phone to connect to Bell Labs computer in Boston and programs the new data from the Library ghost to confirm they can catch and hold a ghost indefinitely.
- In the August 5, 1983 script, Egon owned a 1957 Saab car.
- In the September 30, 1983 draft, Egon's first scene is of taking the Librarian's blood pressure. It's in this scene that he tells Peter what they have is very big whereas in the movie, he tells Peter that in the Reading Room.
- In the September 30, 1983 script, Egon tells Vinz Clortho he is a "Doctor of Physics, Graduate of M.I.T."
- Harold Ramis wrote the line about Egon trying to drill a hole in his head. It was inspired by a thwarted experiment by John Lilly, a prominent researcher in dolphin communication who proposed drilling a hole in his head to test some higher brain function.
- Egon has a fondness for junk food. In the first movie he's shown to be eating Cheez-Its and a candy bar, and scarfs down the Twinkee he uses to illustrate the level of PKE in the New York area. In the Ghostbusters role-playing game Egon is known to eat large quantities of fish. It's implied that this helped him attain his high intelligence quotient. (fish is regarded by some as a brain nurturing food.) Egon is also shown to enjoy Chinese takeout.
- During the first commercial, Egon looks down at his mark.
- Egon subtly gives Peter the numbers to the cost of the bill that Peter quotes to the manager of the Sedgewick in the first movie.
- In the "Ecto-1: Restoring the Classic Car" featurette in the 2009 Remaster of Ghostbusters, Dan Aykroyd credits Egon with miniaturizing the equipment that was integrated onto the roof rack of Ecto-1.
- In the July 6, 1983 draft of the first movie, part of the ending included Egon and Janine getting married in Las Vegas.
- In the West End role-playing game, Egon's motivation is "Soulless Science." Which means he's far more interested in the overall goal of acquiring knowledge, with little to no regard of how it might inconvenience or endanger others.
- In the Ghostbusters II August 5, 1988 draft, Egon was working as a physics professor specializing in quantum theory. 
- In the Ghostbusters II August 5, 1988 draft, Egon refused to help Peter at first. 
- In the August 5, 1988 and February 27, 1989 versions of the Ghostbusters II script, during the set up to the final battle and the epilogue scene respectively, Egon revealed his grandparents came to America from Ostrov in Eastern Poland.
- Egon's favorite foods seem to be Thai and Mexican.
- The 1990 Earth Day Special included Harold Ramis portraying a new character named Elon Spengler who was Egon's twin brother. Elon is President of the Wastebusters.
- The game Dungeons of Dredmor has a skill named "Fungal Arts", which says "You collect molds, spores, and fungus", a reference to Egon's hobby.
- In the 88MPH Studios Legion miniseries, Egon reveals he's moved on from a fungus to a coral hobby, admits he prefers free diving over scuba because he doesn't believe in compressed air, reveals he worked at a Krazy's one summer... and experimented in the deep fryer.
- In the Ghost Busted (manga), in Chapter One Page 18, Egon tells an actress he studied four years at Columbia University, studied two years at Oxford University, and had an extended residence with the Gnostic Monks of Carpathia.
- In Ghostbusters: The Video Game (Realistic Versions), posted up in the second floor lab area is a child's drawing. It is addressed to "Uncle Egon From Ed"
- In Ghostbusters: The Video Game (Realistic Versions), Egon has three total messages on the Firehouse answering machine after Checking Out the Library, Museum of (Super)Natural History, and Lost Island Rising.
- In the Beeline Mobile game, Michelle Ying is introduced as Egon's half-step-niece and the only person ever diagnosed with Acute ADHD.
- In Ghostbusters Volume 2 Issue #20, Egon revealed he was once a victim of forced delusion but he doesn't talk about it.
- Egon's admission is meant to be open to interpretation.
- On his Ghostbusters: The Board Game character card, Egon's employee ID # is listed as 111 75 0730.
- On page 19 of Ghostbusters Annual 2015:
- On panel 2, to the upper left of Egon is his "Print is dead" line from the first movie, "Epidiymus" line in the second movie, and "We eat gods for breakfast" line at the end of The Video Game.
- On panel 2, to the middle left of Egon is "Oswald Donsbach," a nod to the inspirations for the name 'Egon Spengler' - Oswald Spengler and Egon Donsbach
- On panel 2, left of Egon's boots is "Balloon will pop," a nod to the four dimensional balloon that was originally part of the Twinkie metaphor seen in drafts of the first movie and explained in annotation on Making Ghostbusters page 104
- On panel 2, left of Egon's boots is Thai Mexican," to ideas Egon proposed to Ray for take out as they analyzed the photographs of Vigo in the second movie.
- On panel 2, in the lower right is a nod to Egon admitting to straightening part of a slinky to Ray in Ghostbusters II.
- In Ghostbusters International #3, on page 20, Egon's Vista credit card is visible on the table. The credit card number is 4024653159.
- Egon and Ray were once convinced the Eiffel Tower was engineered to be some kind of primitive Containment Unit.
- On page 2 of Ghostbusters International #6, Egon revealed he did research on conscious thermoregulation and as a result, he never sweats.
- In Ghostbusters International #7, Egon is atomized by Loftur in a way that is visually similar to what happened to his animated counterpart in The Real Ghostbusters episode "Egon's Ghost"
- In Ghostbusters International #11, on page 20, Egon mentions the Riemann Hypothesis, one of the famous unsolved problems in Mathematics. It was a conjecture that the Riemann zeta function has its zeros only at the negative even integers and complex numbers with real part 1/2.
- In Ghostbusters International #11, on page 20 panel 3, Peter plays with a Slinkie - a nod to a line about Egon's childhood in Ghostbusters II
- On page 3 of Ghostbusters: Funko Universe, Egon wears his blue lab coat from Ghostbusters.
- On page 15 of Ghostbusters 101 #3, Winston alludes to Egon's experiments on himself.
- On page 23 of Ghostbusters 101 #5, it is mentioned Egon and Ray have started working on a condensed version of Tobin's Spirit Guide updated with specific information from the Ghostbusters' cases to attract mainstream audiences. Ray promises copies to participants of Ghostbusters 101. This a nod to Tobin's Spirit Guide (Insight Editions).
- Egon appears on Cover B and C of Ghostbusters 101 #6.
- In the What Came Before page of Ghostbusters 101 #6, Egon's "It would be bad" line from Chapter 13 of the 1984 movie is quoted.
- On page 18 of Ghostbusters 101 #6:
- On page 8 of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles/Ghostbusters Volume 2 Issue #4, it is revealed Harold doesn't believe in aliens, like Egon.
- On page 18 of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles/Ghostbusters Volume 2 Issue #4, Egon admits he would have preferred to be brought back to life by science.
- On page 18 of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles/Ghostbusters Volume 2 Issue #4, in panel 4, Egon's watch is based on the Seiko Voice Note M516 4009 watches worn in the first movie. They can be notably seen in most of the press photos worn by Egon and Ray.
- On page 17 of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles/Ghostbusters Volume 2 Issue #5, Egon wears his flip down sunglasses from the first montage of Ghostbusters II during the Orrefors case.
- On Cover A of Ghostbusters Crossing Over Issue #1, Egon appears.
- On Cover A of Ghostbusters: Answer The Call Issue #4, Egon's spores, molds, and fungus line from the first movie is referenced.
- Egon appears on cover RI of Ghostbusters Crossing Over Issue #2.
- On page 15 of Ghostbusters Crossing Over Issue #2, Egon alludes to when he was terrified by the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man in the first movie.
- On page 19 of Ghostbusters Crossing Over Issue #2, in panel 4, Egon is wearing his suit and vest outfit from the first movie.
- On May 15, 2018, Egon is mentioned in the Crossing Over Virtual Trading Card #25 featuring Janine Melnitz.
- On May 17, 2018, Egon is mentioned in the Crossing Over Virtual Trading Card #26 featuring Peter Venkman.
- On June 21, 2018, Egon was mentioned in Death's bio in the 36th Crossing Over Virtual Trading Card.
- On July 10, 2018, Egon is mentioned in Ray's bio on the 41st Crossing Over Virtual Trading Card.
- On Cover B of Ghostbusters Crossing Over Issue #5, Egon is featured.
- On page 9 of Ghostbusters Crossing Over Issue #5, Egon admits he was told he has an intimidating presence.
- Egon appears in Cover RI of Ghostbusters Crossing Over Issue #6.
- On Cover RI of Ghostbusters Crossing Over Issue #7, Egon is featured.
- On page 13 of Ghostbusters Crossing Over Issue #7, Egon alludes to "The Seventh Seal" and several details of the movie.
- Egon appears on Cover A and B of Ghostbusters Crossing Over Issue #8.
- In Ghostbusters IDW 20/20, Egon 50-S first appears wearing his blue lab coat from the commercial in the first movie.
- Egon appears on IDW Convention Variant cover of 35th Anniversary: Ghostbusters.
- On page 10 of 35th Anniversary: Ghostbusters, Egon's body is now transmogrified, similar to his counterpart in "Egon on the Rampage".
- On page 15 of 35th Anniversary: Ghostbusters, Egon pokes a light pole like when he scanned and poked the man in the Sedgewick Hotel hall in the first movie.
- Egon appears on Cover B, Cover RI-A, Cover RI-C, Fan Expo Dallas Cover, and SDCC Cover of Transformers/Ghostbusters Issue #1.
- Egon appears on Cover RI of Transformers/Ghostbusters Issue #2.
- On the dramatis personae page and page 2 of Transformers/Ghostbusters Issue #2, Egon can't accept Ectronymous is an alien, a callback to Volume 1 Issue #11 where in which Egon stated he doesn't believe in aliens.
- Egon appears on Cover B and RI of Transformers/Ghostbusters Issue #3.
- On page 6 of Transformers/Ghostbusters Issue #3, Egon states Ectotron is not an alien, another callback to him not believing in aliens.
- Egon appears on Cover B of Transformers/Ghostbusters Issue #4.
- Egon appears on Cover A of Transformers/Ghostbusters Issue #5 standing on Wheeljack's left shoulder.
- Egon also appears on Cover B and RI of Transformers/Ghostbusters Issue #5.
- In the Quickbooks "Happy Business: Ghostbusters Payroll Taxes" online spot, released on December 27, 2019, Egon is listed on Janine's payroll and is paid $2,109.93 by direct deposit. His last name was misspelled "Sprengler" but was corrected.
- Egon appears on Cover RI of Ghostbusters Year One Issue #1.
- Egon's biography in the Dramatis Personae in Ghostbusters Year One Issue #1 mentions he created the P.K.E. Meter and Containment Unit on his own as well as his love of junk food.
- Peter's biography in the Dramatis Personae in Ghostbusters Year One Issue #1 mentions how he talked Ray and Egon into forming Ghostbusters.
- On page 9 of Ghostbusters Year One Issue #1, Ray and Winston reflect on Egon's Twinkie metaphor.
- On page 11 of Ghostbusters Year One Issue #1, Winston admits he finds Egon funny but he's so dry you have to pay attention.
- On page 11 of Ghostbusters Year One Issue #1, Winston admits he thinks Ray is like a mix of Peter and Egon with too much enthusiasm for everything weird in the world.
- On page 16 of Ghostbusters Year One Issue #1, Egon mentions the possibility he might write an employee manual. Incidentally, a Ghostbusters Employee Welcome Kit was released last year. Over the decades, similar items came up. For Ghostbusters (2016 Movie), there was a Ghostbuster's Handbook published. Role-playing games, board games, and Ghostbusters: The Video Game also toyed with employee training.
- On page 16 of Ghostbusters Year One Issue #1, Egon uses the Gamma Rate Meter, the device he used before the disembodied voice of Gozer demanded them to chose a Destructor Form in Chapter 26: Gozer of the first movie.
- On page 18 of Ghostbusters Year One Issue #1, it is revealed Egon was the one who taught Winston how to use a Trap.
- On page 19 of Ghostbusters Year One Issue #1, Peter mentions when Egon looked in the Trap during Slimer's capture in Chapter 13.
- On page 4 of Ghostbusters Year One Issue #2, Egon's hairstyle is based on the late Harold Ramis' character Russell in "Stripes" (1981) which was directed by Ivan Reitman and co-written by and co-starring Ramis.
- On page 4 of Ghostbusters Year One Issue #2, Egon mentions he met Peter in a women's studies course he was mistakenly assigned to.
- On page 15 of Ghostbusters Year One Issue #3, Egon does the Moonwalk, a backslide popularized by Michael Jackson in 1983.
- On Cover A of Ghostbusters Year One Issue #4:
- There is a recreation of Egon doing his Twinkie metaphor in Chapter 15: E.P.A. Man.
- There is a scene of Egon reading about trepanation, Peter mentioned his aborted attempt in Chapter 3: "Get Her!"
- The image is a "redesign" of Dan Schoening's earliest fan art on his Deviant art account.
- On Cover B of Ghostbusters Year One Issue #4, there are several nods to Egon's hobby:
- A card at the top mentions a Issue #18 (November 1983) of bimonthly journal associated with the New York Botanical Gardens.
- Under the card are two articles about mycology.
- A Post It note from Janine mentions Egon's Fungus of the Month is coming in mid-November.
- The big jar contains mold, another nod to Egon's hobby.
- Also on Cover B of Ghostbusters Year One Issue #4 are:
- The file photo is of Egon in his blue lab coat from the commercial in Chapter 7: Fried Eggs & Zuul.
- The blue bottle and contents are a nod to Egon asking Louis Tully for a sample of his brain in Chapter 28: Crossing Streams.
- Next to the Post It is Egon's Casio Micro-Mini Calculator from Chapter 4: Terminated.
- Next to the calculator is a photo is Egon's "I got it!" scene with Joe Medjuck in the montage in Chapter 14: Welcome Aboard.
- Above the photo of Egon with a Trap is a Slinkie, a nod to Egon's anecdote in Chapter 5: Investigating Oscar.
- On Cover RI of Ghostbusters Year One Issue #4:
- On page 1 of Ghostbusters Year One Issue #4, Ray talks about when they were walking through Columbia University after the first encounter with the Library ghost, seen at the end of Chapter 3.
- Ray partially quotes Egon's line, "According to these new readings, I think we have an excellent chance of actually catching a ghost and holding it indefinitely."
- Ray alludes to when Peter gave Egon a Crunch bar.
- Peter refers to Egon's diet of junk food.
- Peter mentions HG Huges, a nod to Chapter 3 when Peter recalled Egon tried to drill a hole in his head. Hugo Bart Huges was a Dutch librarian and a proponent of trepenation.
- On page 8 of Ghostbusters Year One Issue #4, Peter brings up when Egon looked in the Trap in Chapter 13 as they captured Slimer.
- On page 17 of Ghostbusters Year One Issue #4, Rebecca brings up when he looked in the Trap in Chapter 13.
- "Print is dead."
- "I think they're more interested in my epididymis."
- "We eat gods for breakfast!"
Secondary Canon Appearances
- Ghost Busted (manga)
- Chapter 1
- Chapter 4
- Chapter 5
- Chapter 6
- IDW Comics
- "The Other Side 1"
- "The Other Side 2"
- "The Other Side 3"
- "The Other Side 4"
- "Displaced Aggression 1"
- "Displaced Aggression 3"
- "Displaced Aggression 4"
- "Past, Present, and Future"
- "Tainted Love"
- "What in Samhain Just Happened?!"
- "Guess What's Coming to Dinner?"
- "Ghostbusters: Infestation 1"
- "Ghostbusters: Infestation 2"
- Volume One
- Volume Two
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Ghostbusters
- Ghostbusters Get Real
- Ghostbusters Annual 2015
- "Daydreams and Nightmares!"
- "Hot Foot"
- "No Sale"
- "A Fall Wind in Summer"
- Volume 3
- Ghostbusters International #1
- Ghostbusters International #2
- Benvenuti A Venezia
- Haunted America Case File
- Ghostbusters International #3
- Help Wanted
- Haunted America Case File
- Mentioned Haunted America Case Files on page 23
- Ghostbusters International #4
- Ghostbusters International #5
- Ghostbusters International #6
- Part 6
- Haunted America Case File
- Ghostbusters International #7
- Ghostbusters International #8
- Mentioned on what came before page! and pages 1-6, 17-20
- Ghostbusters International #10
- Ghostbusters International #11
- Ghostbusters Annual 2017
- Where Winston Was
- Second City Ghostbusters
- Mentioned by Trask Manager on page 24
- The Origins of Slimer
- Answering The Call
- Ghostbusters 101
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles/Ghostbusters Volume 2
- Ghostbusters Annual 2018
- Ghostbusters Crossing Over
- Ghostbusters IDW 20/20
- IDW 20/20 (Dimension 50-S version only)
- 35th Anniversary: Ghostbusters
- Transformers/Ghostbusters: Ghosts of Cybertron
- Ghostbusters Year One
- Insight Editions
- IDW Comics
- Egon Spengler (2020). IDW Comics- "Ghostbusters Year One Issue #4" (2020) (Comic p.16). Egon Spengler says: "Pulling the ghost in reminded me of a childhood fishing trip where I fought with a rockfish that weighed as much as I did. The biggest difference -- this time I landed the catch."
- Egon Spengler (2020). IDW Comics- "Ghostbusters Year One Issue #4" (2020) (Comic p.5). Egon Spengler says: "I don't believe there are things man isn't meant to know. Ghosts are simply the first thing I was able to conclusively prove. I'll follow this trail until it runs cold. Or until something more interesting presents itself."
- TomWaltz Tweet 5/17/18
- Egon Spengler (2013). IDW Comics- "Ghostbusters Volume 2 Issue #6" (2013) (Comic p.2). Egon Spengler says: "I know what he said. I learned Swedish when I was researching Gjenganger as an undergrad."
- What Came Before! page (2016). IDW Comics- "Ghostbusters International #3" (2016) (Comic What Came Before! page). Line reads: "This kept him from joining the others in Europe...but Egon's already been there back in his college days. He was studying Draugr in Sweden."
- Egon Spengler (2016). IDW Comics- "Ghostbusters International #3" (2016) (Comic p.19). Egon Spengler says: "They also correlate to readings I took years ago in Sweden. It's brought something of a "cold case" back to life."
- Egon Spengler (2016). IDW Comics- "Ghostbusters International #5" (2016) (Comic p.5). Egon Spengler says: "The data collected on Poveglia aligned with a startling consistency to those I personally recorded more than twenty years ago in northern Europe, as well as those from the United Nations."
- Egon Spengler (2016). IDW Comics- "Ghostbusters International #5" (2016) (Comic p.6). Egon Spengler says: "I admit, I was fascinated by the Rauoskinna - this was what I invented the PKE Meter to help me find - but during the course of my search, I came to the belief that maybe, just this once, it would be better to leave well enough alone."
- Dramatis Personae (2016). IDW Comics- "Ghostbusters International #1" (2016) (Comic Dramatis Personae). Line reads: "Degrees in several scientific disciplines, and is willing to go to great ends to get the answers he seeks."
- TomWaltz Tweet 4/24/18
- Dramatis Personae (2020). IDW Comics- "Ghostbusters Year One Issue #1" (2020) (Comic Dramatis Personae page). Biography reads: "The brain of the Ghostbusters, Spengler co-created most of the team's proprietary equipment, but the designs of the PKE Meter and the ecto containment unit – as well as an overwhelming love of junk foods -- are his alone."
- Winston Zeddemore (2020). IDW Comics- "Ghostbusters Year One Issue #4" (2020) (Comic p.2). Winston Zeddemore says: "Definitely don't ask about Huges. Man, Venkman got me with that same damn prank. It gets you a two-hour lecture about the theoretical benefits of drilling a hole in your head."
- Winston Zeddemore (2020). IDW Comics- "Ghostbusters Year One Issue #4" (2020) (Comic p.2). Winston Zeddemore says: "Egon's been in-house just about 24/7 since the whole Stay Puft thing."
- Egon Spengler (2020). IDW Comics- "Ghostbusters Year One Issue #4" (2020) (Comic p.5). Egon Spengler says: "I only agreed to this because Venkman said the fee was contingent on my involvement, and, as you can see, we have a lot of rebuilding to do. It won't come cheap."
- Peter Venkman (2014). IDW Comics- "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles/Ghostbusters Issue #1" (2014) (Comic p.12). Peter says: "Sides, you and Egon built a big, expensive toy to warn us if bad vibes were in the air, right?"
- Winston Zeddemore (2014). IDW Comics- "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles/Ghostbusters Issue #1" (2014) (Comic p.13). Winston says: "'Rays says 'Fallout from a dimensional breach.'"
- Egon Spengler (2016). IDW Comics- "Ghostbusters International #1" (2016) (Comic p.17). Egon says: "Some new theories occurred while I was receiving medical attention, and I want to see where those theories lead. Also, I'm waiting on delivery from the new Moroccan place down the block."
- Peter Venkman (2016). IDW Comics- "Ghostbusters International #1" (2016) (Comic p.18). Peter says: "Sorry Egon couldn't make it. Something about bad couscous."
- Janine Melnitz (2016). IDW Comics- "Ghostbusters International #4" (2016) (Comic p.2). Janine Melnitz says: "I got Egon with a bum leg, refusing to take any jobs with stairs even though I know he lives in a walk-up."
- Ray Stantz (2016). IDW Comics- "Ghostbusters International #8" (2016) (Comic p.1). Ray Stantz says: "It looked like accelerated cellular dispersal!"
- Egon Spengler (2016). IDW Comics- "Ghostbusters International #11" (2016) (Comic p.20). Egon Spengler says: "Just a profound sense of relaxation. I was this close to solving the Riemann Hypothesis. It was Heaven, yes."
- Egon Spengler (2017). IDW Comics- "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles/Ghostbusters Volume 2 Issue #1" (2017) (Comic p.11). Egon Spengler says: "There was a feeling of peace. I was able to fully focus on my thoughts."
- TomWaltz Tweet 6/21/18Virtual Trading Card reads: "Some time later, Egon was killed by an immortal warlock and resurrected by an Irish faerie. (These things happen when you work with the paranormal) and Death had to decide what he would do about it. Egon wasn't supposed to survive, he decided. Death is now giving Egon his full attention. Will the Ghostbusters have to zap and trap the Grim Reaper himself, or is there another option...?"
- Egon Spengler (2019). IDW Comics- "Transformers/Ghostbusters Issue #3" (2019) (Comic p.10). Egon Spengler says: "We'd better play it safe and modify a trap to better deal with electrostatic discharge while he have the chance."
- Harold Ramis (2005). Ghostbusters- Commentary (2005) (DVD ts. 21:46-21:56). Columbia TriStar Home Video. Harold Ramis says: "Egon Spengler. Egon came from Egon Donsbach. I went to school with a Hungarian refuge and Spengler was from Oswald Spengler. "
- Shortlist 30 Facts
- Shay, Don (November 1985). Making Ghostbusters, p. 9. New York Zoetrope, New York NY USA, ISBN 0918432685. Harold Ramis says: "For my character, we went for a human computer -- someone who had no emotional life whatsoever, who only deals in facts and information -- a 'New Wave' Mr. Spock."
- Harold Ramis (2009). Ghostbusters- Slimer Mode (2009) (Blu-Ray ts. 12:40-13:02). Columbia TriStar Home Video. Harold Ramis says: "So, Egon. I created this character based on a look that I saw in a visionary architect. I saw him in a high-end architectural journal. And he was wearing a three-piece tweed suit that looked like it had been made in the '30s. And he had horn-rimmed glasses, or round horn-rimmed glasses, and a haircut that went straight up."
- Harold Ramis (2019). Cleanin' Up The Town: Remembering Ghostbusters, Deleted Scenes (2019) (Blu-Ray ts. 00:29-00:38). Bueno Productions. Harold Ramis says: "I came across an architectural digest that featured a visionary urban planner and theoretical architect and designer named Léon Krier."
- Harold Ramis (2019). Cleanin' Up The Town: Remembering Ghostbusters, Deleted Scenes (2019) (Blu-Ray ts. 00:20-00:26). Bueno Productions. Harold Ramis says: "And the other was Egon Schiele, the painter-the Expressionist painter."
- Wallace, Daniel (2015). Ghostbusters The Ultimate Visual History, p. 27-28. Insight Editions, San Rafael CA USA, ISBN 9781608875108. Suzy Benzinger says: "Harold Ramis loved that gray suit he wore, which I got at a thrift store on St. ark's Place. The first time I saw Harold, I thought, 'He really doesn't look like a professor. He doesn't have that scientist look.' So I took him to an eyeglass store on Seventh Avenue. I said, 'I really want to change your eyeglasses, is that OK?' and I knew just the glasses [he should wear]. He put them on, and I think he wore those forever."
- Joe Medjuck (1999). Ghostbusters- Commentary (1999) (DVD ts. 01:08:06-01:08:14). Columbia TriStar Home Video. Joe Medjuck says: "I remember this stuff coming down. Someone ran out from the wardrobe department and said, "Egon's suit, it's the only one we have. Don't get it wet.""
- Harold Ramis (1999). Ghostbusters- Commentary (1999) (DVD ts. 07:07-07:11). Columbia TriStar Home Video. Harold Ramis says: "The French hairdresser---the French Moroccan hairdresser you found. Peggy Semtob!"
- Mueller, Richard (August 1985). "Ghostbusters: The Supernatural Spectacular," p. 23. Tor Books, New York NY USA, ISBN 0812585984.
- Mueller, Richard (August 1985). "Ghostbusters: The Supernatural Spectacular," p. 23. Tor Books, New York NY USA, ISBN 0812585984.
- Mueller, Richard (August 1985). "Ghostbusters: The Supernatural Spectacular," p. 23. Tor Books, New York NY USA, ISBN 0812585984.
- Mueller, Richard (August 1985). "Ghostbusters: The Supernatural Spectacular," p. 24. Tor Books, New York NY USA, ISBN 0812585984.
- Mueller, Richard (August 1985). "Ghostbusters: The Supernatural Spectacular," p. 41. Tor Books, New York NY USA, ISBN 0812585984.
- Mueller, Richard (August 1985). "Ghostbusters: The Supernatural Spectacular," p. 49. Tor Books, New York NY USA, ISBN 0812585984.
- Mueller, Richard (August 1985). "Ghostbusters: The Supernatural Spectacular," p. 72. Tor Books, New York NY USA, ISBN 0812585984.
- Mueller, Richard (August 1985). "Ghostbusters: The Supernatural Spectacular," p. 77. Tor Books, New York NY USA, ISBN 0812585984.
- Aykroyd, Dan & Ramis, Harold (1983). Ghostbusters (First Draft August 5, 1983) (Script p. 7). Line reads: "Spengler is a real egghead, a New Wave Mr. Spock, who single handedly got Venkman through graduate school.""
- Aykroyd, Dan & Ramis, Harold (1983). Ghostbusters (First Draft August 5, 1983) (Script p. 19). Paragraph reads: "Spengler's '57 Saab is parked outside an abandoned brick, four-story fire station built by the city around the turn of the century.""
- Aykroyd, Dan & Ramis, Harold (1983). Ghostbusters (Third Draft September 30, 1983) (Script p. 89). Egon Spengler says: "I am Egon Spengler, Creature of Earth, Doctor of Physics, Graduate of M.I.T.""
- Shay, Don (November 1985). Making Ghostbusters, p. 27 annotation. New York Zoetrope, New York NY USA, ISBN 0918432685. Paragraph reads: "Venkman's line was inspired by a bizarre, but thwarted, experiment by John Lilly -- a prominent researcher in dolphin communication -- whi seriously proposed drilling a hole in his head to test some higher brain function. Harold Ramis, who wrote the line, piggy-backed on it during the take by responded: "That would have worked if you hadn't stopped me.""
- Dan Aykroyd (2009). 2009 Remaster of Ghostbusters, Ecto-1: Restoring the Classic Car (2009) (Blu-Ray ts. 11:36-11:41). Columbia Pictures. Dan Aykroyd says: "Dr. Spengler had to miniaturize this for--for mobile purposes."
- Shay, Don (November 1985). Making Ghostbusters, p. 203 annotation. New York Zoetrope, New York NY USA, ISBN 0918432685. Paragraph reads: "Alternate endings in earlier drafts included scenes within the towering glass and chrome headquarters of Ghostbusters International - now a high-rolling multinational corporation "recognized everywhere as the first line of defense against interdimensional trespassers." The July draft even attempted to wrap up the romantic loose ends. Venkman and Dana set up housekeeping, Spengler and Janine are married, and Stantz returns to Fort Detmerring for spiritual renewal."
- Aykroyd, Dan & Ramis, Harold (1988). Ghostbusters II (August 5, 1988 Draft) (Script p. 16). "Paragraph reads: "EGON SPENGLER, the soberly intellectual techno-wizard of the Ghostbuster team, is at the blackboard speedwriting an incredibly complex set of formulae while simultaneously explaining one of the axioms of celestial mechanics."
- Aykroyd, Dan & Ramis, Harold (1988). Ghostbusters II (August 5, 1988 Draft) (Script p. 43). "Peter Venkman says: "You going to give up that fat teaching paycheck every week and those crazy physics department babes?"
- Aykroyd, Dan & Ramis, Harold (1988). Ghostbusters II (August 5, 1988 Draft) (Script p. 43). "Egon Spengler says: "I just don't find quantum theory that challenging anymore."
- Aykroyd, Dan & Ramis, Harold (1988). Ghostbusters II (August 5, 1988 Draft) (Script p. 20). "Egon Spengler says: "I'm not doing any more ghostbusting, Venkman, so if that's what you're thinking--"
- 2/27/89 Script, Page 109 via Spook Central
- Aykroyd, Dan & Ramis, Harold (1988). Ghostbusters II (August 5, 1988 Draft) (Script p. 97). "Egon Spengler says: "It's probably the first thing my grandparents saw when they came to this country. They came from Ostrov in Eastern Poland."
- James; After Checking Out the Library, Firehouse 2nd Floor Answering Machine Message 8 of 13 (2009). Ghostbusters: The Video Game (Realistic Versions) - Firehouse (2009) (PC/PS3/Xbox 360). Terminal Reality. James says: "Dr. Spengler, this is James from We Ship It. Listen, you got to come down and pick up this package of Carpathian Dungbach Mold we've been holding for you. It's starting to spread. It's taken over half the dock and uh, I think it's singing!"
- Male Caller; After Museum of (Super)Natural History, Firehouse 2nd Floor Answering Machine Message 6 of 11 (2009). Ghostbusters: The Video Game (Realistic Versions) - Firehouse (2009) (PC/PS3/Xbox 360). Terminal Reality. Male says: "Ah..hello, Dr. Spengler. This is Gilgamir Electronic Supply. We have all the parts you requested. But a representative from the Mayor's office, a Mr. Peck has recently informed us that all invoices from you must be approved through his office first. We called him about your order and he just laughed then hang up. For all we know, he's still laughing."
- Male Caller; After Lost Island Rising, Firehouse 2nd Floor Answering Machine Message 5 of 8 (2009). Ghostbusters: The Video Game (Realistic Versions) - Firehouse (2009) (PC/PS3/Xbox 360). Terminal Reality. Male says: "Egon, man. So, have you ever stopped to think? I mean, really think about how the ghosts feel all cramped up inside those little boxes of yours? That could be somebody's grandma in there, you know? It's not right. That kind of cruelty is a drag! Have a nice day, oppressors!"
- Dramatis Personae page (2014). IDW Comics- "Ghostbusters Volume 2 Issue #13" (2014) (Comic p.ii).
- Egon Spengler (2014). IDW Comics- "Ghostbusters Volume 2 Issue #20" (2014) (Comic p.19). Egon says: "It happened to me, too. I don't talk about it."
- Erik Burnham post IDW Forums 10/7/14
- Peter Venkman (2016). IDW Comics- "Ghostbusters International #5" (2016) (Comic p.7). Peter Venkman says: "How Egon and Ray used to be convinced that Louvre was engineered to be some kind of primitive French Containment Unit."
- Winston Zeddemore (2016). IDW Comics- "Ghostbusters International #5" (2016) (Comic p.7). Winston Zeddemore says: "That was the Eiffel Tower, man."
- Egon Spengler (2016). IDW Comics- "Ghostbusters International #6" (2016) (Comic p.2). Egon Spengler says: "If I'd known you'd be this uncomfortable, I would have lent you my research on conscious thermoregulation."
- Egon Spengler (2016). IDW Comics- "Ghostbusters International #6" (2016) (Comic p.2). Egon Spengler says: "I never sweat."
- 101 Class Notes (2017). IDW Comics- "Ghostbusters 101 #5" (2017) (Comic p.23). 101 Class Notes reads: "Tobin's Spirit Guide is so in depth, Dr. Spengler and I have begun on working on a condensed version - updated to include specific information from our cases -- to attract the interest of mainstream audiences, and ease them into the topic. Copies will, of course, be made available to you as part of this program."
- TomWaltz Tweet 5/15/18
- TomWaltz Tweet 5/17/18
- TomWaltz Tweet 6/21/18
- TomWaltz Tweet 7/10/18
- Egon Spengler (2018). IDW Comics- "Ghostbusters Crossing Over Issue #5" (2018) (Comic p.9). Egon Spengler says: "I'm told I have an intimidating presence."
- Winston Zeddemore (2020). IDW Comics- "Ghostbusters Year One Issue #1" (2020) (Comic p.11). Winston Zeddemore says: "A real genius, man. Thinks way outside the box. Funny, too. But so dry you gotta pay attention."
- Winston Zeddemore (2020). IDW Comics- "Ghostbusters Year One Issue #1" (2020) (Comic p.11). Winston Zeddemore says: "He's what you get when you mix Pete and Egon together and add way too much enthusiasm for everything weird in the world."
- dannyschoening Tweet 3/3/2020
- Egon Spengler (2020). IDW Comics- "Ghostbusters Year One Issue #2" (2020) (Comic p.4). Egon Spengler says: "I was mistakenly assigned to a women's studies class he was in. He convinced me that sticking with the course would teach me to be more comfortable with people."
- Spectral Incident Report (2016). IDW Comics- "Ghostbusters International #3" (2016) (Comic p.23). Spectral Incident Report reads: "Dr. Spengler has recommended, when possible, to use verbal communication with ghosts in order to encourage peaceful dispersal."
- Narrator (2016). Insight Editions- "Tobin's Spirit Guide" (2016) (Comic p.4-5). Paragraph reads: "My colleague Dr. Egon Spengler and I put in weeks of effort to boil the essence of Tobin's down into this slim pocket reference you now hold in your hands: a book that contains basic information on some of the most common types of entities that manifest themselves on this side of the dimensional wall, be they spirit, demon, or even minor gods with aspirations to end life as we know it via destruction, subjugation, or both."
- Narrator (2016). Insight Editions- "Tobin's Spirit Guide" (2016) (Book p.41). Paragraph reads: "It didn't take long for the entity responsible to make its presence known, trapping us in a kind of lucid dream state while it focused its attentions on Dr. Spengler, who was suffering from exhaustion at the time, making him an irresistible target."
- Narrator (2016). Insight Editions- "Tobin's Spirit Guide" (2016) (Book p.50). Paragraph reads: "Communicating with the Manitou on a psychic plane, Dr. Venkman put his psychology doctorate to full use and managed to exorcise the Manitou from his own body (a feat Dr. Spengler and I would like to attempt ourselves at some point, should a controlled experiment ever prove possible)."