In the 1970s, Eugene was a friend of Egon's when they attended Senn University. On one fateful night, Eugene was hit by a car while crossing a street. Eugene saw Death and managed to trap it in his bag after remembering a paper he did on Russian folklore. Before the driver could get out of the car, Eugene vanished without a trace. He reappeared 20 years later.
After working out at Delgado's Gym with Peter Venkman, Egon was shocked to see a man who looked exactly like Eugene. When Egon tried to confront him, the man mysteriously vanished. The annoyed crowd was starting to turn on Egon, prompting Peter to usher him away. Some days later, Egon found Eugene at his father's house in New Jersey. Eugene declared he deserved a second chance to live his life, enjoy college, screw around, find a job that doesn't pay what he's worth, and orange juice. He believed keeping Death trapped wasn't doing anything bad and in fact helping the Ghostbusters' business. Eugene refused to release Death and demanded Egon return with concrete proof before he thought about opening it.
Months later, in November, Eugene realized the Megaspook was what Egon was trying to warn him about. Eugene said goodbye to his father and released Death. Death reaped Eugene then teleported to New York City to deal with the Megaspook. After the Megaspook was dispersed, Death allowed Eugene to say goodbye to Egon before he was completely dispersed. As predicted, Egon had one last "I told you so" for Eugene. As Eugene mused on getting to find out what came next, he vanished.
- On the back cover of Ghostbusters Volume 2 trade paperback, there is a file with Eugene's name on it.
- On the Subscription Cover of Ghostbusters Volume 2 Issue #1, Eugene's photo is on the left of Janine.
- Eugene was alluded to in Death's bio in the 36th Crossing Over Virtual Trading Card, released on June 21, 2018. 
- Egon Spengler (2012).IDW Comics- "Ghostbusters Issue #8" (2012) (Comic p.11). Egon says: "Some days ago I'd seen an old college friend-Eugene Visitor-on a street corner near Delgado's."
- TomWaltz Tweet 6/21/18Virtual Trading Card reads: "Once, DEATH ITSELF was captured inside a sack, of all things, by a childhood friend of EGON SPENGLER."
- TomWaltz Tweet 6/21/18