Sometime during the formation of the Extreme Ghostbusters, Egon created a next generation paranormal elimination unit dubbed the "Field Projector." It houses two retractable Ecto-Radars and flood lights for the purpose of detection, perhaps phasing out the need for a P.K.E. Meter. The Projector's offensive measure is a dual firing Proton Gun. It has about double the same nuclear capacity as Kylie Griffin's Proton Pistol.
Egon once used it in the field to back up the Extreme Ghostbusters in a case involving a Evil Clown infestation at Coney Island. The combination of Garrett's Particle Thrower, Kylie's Proton Pistol, and Egon's Field Projector was sufficient enough to confine the head entity and then trap it.
- According to Production Supervisor Shannon Muir, early in the script process, there was consideration that new equipment would be adopted and replace Proton Packs. It is also part of the Deluxe Human Series of Extreme Ghostbusters toys that the Egon Spengler toy is marketed with.
- On page three of Ghostbusters Volume 2 Issue #20, the Field Projector makes a non-canon cameo in the basement room under the table.
- Ghostbusters HQ Shannon Muir Interview August 1997 Shannon Muir says: "It's original name was "Field Projector," for what it's worth."
- Ghostbusters HQ Shannon Muir Interview August 1997Shannon Muir says: "It's the deluxe equipment Egon is marketed with. I just saw the toys in a store the other day for the first time, and what it got called on the toy is not the same name it had in the early prototypes we sent to Trendmasters (why I don't know)."
- Ghostbusters HQ Shannon Muir Interview August 1997Shannon Muir says: "These weapons were designed early on because I think they were considering moving away from using the proton guns in favor of different equipment on the show -- but what is Ghostbusting without proton guns?"