Jillian Holtzmann utilized hollow-laser technology in the creation of the Ghost Chipper sidearm. Its function was to draw a ghost into it, like a Trap, then neutralize it. Holtzmann introduced it with the other Proton Sidearms after the Ghostbusters met Mayor Bradley. It was used by Patty Tolan in the demonstration. Patty told Holtzmann she truly scared her. Patty activated it. A trash can tipped over and the Chipper drew in the trash through it. The shredded trash exited the rear of the Chipper and went all over Erin Gilbert and Abby Yates. Abby reached into her suit for the trash and equated it to Mardi Gras. After Blogger Chris Gethard was punched out by Erin, Holtzmann set the Chipper down on the booth table inside headquarters and looked at the New York Post. The Chipper was strapped on the bottom of Patty's Proton Pack before team headed to Times Square to battle Rowan North. During the Times Square battle, Patty used the Chipper on Mayhem but the sidearm was stomped and destroyed by one of the Times Square Battle Ghosts.
The Chipper was rebuilt at some point in the year after Rowan was defeated. Holtzmann used the Ghost Chipper on the Stryker Golf Ghost at the Stryker Beach Golf Course and claimed she didn't like its face. This did little to alleviate Abby's dismay. Holtzmann added its P.KE. readings were too skewed to be a decent test subject.
- The Ghost Chipper originated from Walter Garcia's pre stunt viz video.
- The Ghost Chipper was originally envisioned as a Proton Shield Gun/Emitter type device. The Ion Shield Pistol's proton effect was later sort of retrofitted for the Ghost Chipper.
- The Ghost Chipper went through several iterations in the concept phase. At one point, it was drawn as a sentry weapon that could unfold and stand on either legs or a tripod.
- The Ghost Chipper's hollow laser was worked on by Abby and Holtzmann when they worked at the Kenneth P. Higgins Institute.
- On the Regular Cover of Ghostbusters 101 #3, Patty is holding the Ghost Chipper.
- On page 4 of Ghostbusters 101 #3, in panel 1, the Ghost Chipper is in Holtzmann's bedroom on a shelf.
- On page 3 of Ghostbusters 101 #5, panel 5, the Ion Shield Gun version 7 concept is on the shelf.
- On Cover A of Ghostbusters: Answer The Call Issue #2, the Ghost Chipper and Ion Shield Pistol concept are above Holtzmann's head.
- IDW Comics
- ↑ Jillian Holtzmann (2016). Ghostbusters (2016 Movie) Extended Edition; Chapter 11 (2016) (Blu-Ray ts. 1:15:51-1:15:53). Sony Pictures. Jillian Holtzmann says: "This puppy I like to call a Ghost Chipper."
- ↑ Jillian Holtzmann (2016). Ghostbusters (2016 Movie) Extended Edition; Chapter 14 (2016) (Blu-Ray ts. 1:44:40-1:44:42). Sony Pictures. Jillian Holtzmann says: "Guys, you all have your sidearms."
- ↑ Jillian Holtzmann (2016). Ghostbusters (2016 Movie) Extended Edition; Chapter 11 (2016) (Blu-Ray ts. 1:15:54-1:15:57). Sony Pictures. Jillian Holtzmann says: "Hollow-laser technology, sucks in the ghost and neutralizes it."
- ↑ fxguide "Who you gonna call? Call Illoura, MPC, SPI, & Zero VFX" 8/10/16 Line reads: "But, interestingly, the weapons such as the Ghost Chipper came from that original stunt viz video from fight choreographer Walter Garcia."
- ↑ KyleBrownDesign 7/18/16
- ↑ Kyle Brown Facebook 7/19/16 Line reads: "More 2016 #Ghostbusters Prop designs. Originally envisioned as a Proton Shield Gun/Emitter type device. The proton effect was sort of retrofitted for the Ghost Chipper. #conceptart #conceptdesign #art #film #illustration #2D #scifi #props Aaron Sims Creative."
- ↑ fxguide "Who you gonna call? Call Illoura, MPC, SPI, & Zero VFX" 8/10/16 Line reads: "Aaron Sims Creative and designer Kyle Brown were involved in the prop designs of the new weapons. Brown took over the Ghost Chipper from the stunt viz. It had a lot of iterations, including ideas of it being a sentry weapon that could unfold and stand on legs or tripod."
- ↑ Kyle Brown Design Tweet 8/4/16
- ↑ Abby Yates (2016). Ghostbusters (2016 Movie) Extended Edition; Chapter 2 (2016) (Blu-Ray ts. 00:14:01-00:14:04). Sony Pictures. Abby Yates says: "We're incredibly close on the hollow laser for the reverse tractor beam. Really close."
- ↑ Patty Tolan (2017). IDW Comics- "Ghostbusters: Answer The Call Issue #1" (2017) (Comic p.19). Patty Tolan says: "So, the Zamboni -- that seems just like a larger version of the wood chipper, am I right?"