Keeper Meets Master is the twentieth-third chapter on the DVDs of Ghostbusters. In this chapter Vinz Clortho finally finds Zuul.
Louis Tully/Vinz Clortho made it back to the apartment. People ran out of the building holding boxes in panic, while a bunch of firemen came to see what happened. Police escorted tenants out and spoke to people by the entrance. He crossed the street to the building.
Dana Barrett/Zuul sat on her armchair with her right leg sprawled over the arm rest. What remained of Dana Barrett's apartment was in ruins amid the giant gaping hole where her wall and balcony once was. Louis came to the front door. It swung open. Vinz announced he was the Keymaster. She replied she was the Gatekeeper. He walked in. The door closed. She stood up and walked to him. She grabbed him and they passionately kissed, starting the summoning ritual for Gozer. They walked to the former kitchen where a hole in the wall, where the refrigerator was, revealed a new set of stairs that led up to the Temple of Gozer on the roof.
- In the July 6, 1983 draft, on pages 107-108, when Vinz arrives at Dana's apartment building at 78th and Riverside, the pavement cracks in two beneath him as he walks towards it. The building shakes, tenants run out, he rides the elevator as the numbers light up randomly and glass shatters. He gets off at Dana's floor and walks to her door. It ends on him knocking three times.
- When Louis/Vinz arrives at the Shandor Building, Ivan Reitman, the camera and some of the crew can be seen in the reflection of the mirror inside the lobby just before the camera pans upward.
- In the August 5, 1983 draft, as Louis/Vinz steps inside Dana's apartment, an internal force blows through the apartment.
- In the September 30, 1983 draft, on page 115, Dana's apartment was destroyed by Zuul and Vinz' consummation.
- The initial design of the secret staircase leading up to the Temple of Gozer was rejected by Ivan Reitman. Reitman felt it was too out of place and seemed like something out of a Frankenstein movie. In no time, John DeCuir came up with a stairwell in tune with the art deco styling of the building.
- In the shot of Dana and Louis walking to the stairs, Ivan Reitman did a dolly in and zoomed out.
- On the Regular Cover of Ghostbusters Volume 2 Issue #16, the depiction of the possessed Dana and Louis appears to be a loose homage to a similar pose in the first movie when they were possessed and had 'reunited' in Dana's apartment room.
- Shay, Don (November 1985). Making Ghostbusters, p. 160 annotation. New York Zoetrope, New York NY USA, ISBN 0918432685. Joe Medjuck says: "In the film, the apartment is already demolished when Louis arrives. But in the script, it is the force of Zuul the Gatekeeper and Vinz the Keymaster consummating their passion that blows the place apart. That was their purpose in coming together - make love. And then, on a second level, there's the comic irony that under his bizarre set of circumstances - which neither of them will remember - Louis finally gets to make it with Dana."
- Shay, Don (November 1985). Making Ghostbusters, p. 43. New York Zoetrope, New York NY USA, ISBN 0918432685. Paragraph reads: "DeCuir's first staircase leading to the rooftop temple was rejected by Ivan Reitman who felt it looked like something out of a Frankenstein movie. On short order, it was replaced by a stairwell more appropriate to the architectural style of the building."
- Ivan Reitman (1999). Ghostbusters- Commentary (1999) (DVD ts. 01:14:07-01:14:20). Columbia TriStar Home Video. Ivan Reitman says: "And I remember doing this dolly in and zooming out thing as they walk forward. It wasn't quite the cliché it has become since then. Um, sort of to create the kind of weird effect of..."
|Previous Chapter||Next Chapter|
|Chapter 22: Holding Cell||Chapter 24: Biblical|