Not to be confused with the real world book Ghosts from Our Past: Both Literally and Figuratively: The Study of the Paranormal released by Three Rivers Press.
A book written by both Erin and Abby before parting ways, the book was later released without Erin's permission. She found out about it by a meeting with Ed Mulgrave Jr.. She that day found out more about it on Amazon including where she could get a hold of Abby. She went to Kenneth P. Higgins Institute to visit and request the book be taken down. She went with Abby and Erin to the Aldridge Mansion Museum to introduce them to Ed in the hopes they remove the book from Amazon. Ultimately she went with them into the mansion and she had a direct interaction with the ghost, Gertrude Aldridge.
Several copies of the hardcover are still laying around in the Firehouse. During the dimensional overlap, Abby asked Kylie Griffin if Ray's Occult Books had her and Erin's book "Ghosts from Our Past" in stock. Kylie never heard of it. Abby figured as much.
Book Jacket ContentsEdit
Ghosts From Our Past: Both Literally and Figuratively: The Study of the Paranormal
By Abigail L. Yates & Erin Gilbert
Through all of history, societies have believed in the survival of personality after death. From ancient Mesopotamian spirits, to Pliny the Younger's letters, to modern encounters with apparitions, ghosts have an important place in human folklore. But are these stories just folklore, or can science give us definitive proof of their existence?
Ghosts From Our Past: Both Literally and Figuratively: A Study of the Paranormal is an exhaustive exploration of the marriage between paranormal research, physics, and science. Using particle physics, quantum theory and mathematics to examine case studies of real encounters with ghosts, Ghosts From Our Past offers an explanation for the things that, until now, could be explained.
Authors Abigail L. Yates and Erin Gilbert use scientific methodology to test traditional paranormal theories, while adding a new dimension in research to unlock the mysteries of the unseen worlds. Chapters include:
Pure Energy The Law of Conversation and the Afterlife
Something Weird The visible, Audible and Telepathic Experience
Schrodinger's Ghost The Observation Paradox and the Quantum System
Parallel University Quantum Fluctuation and Corresponding Particles
Ghostly Magnetism: Atmospheric, Electrical and Magnetic Clues
Erin Gilbert started her undergraduate work in Physics and Quantum Mechanics at University of Michigan. As an undergraduate she has coauthored the seminal paper "Condensed Matter in Transport of Fractional Quantum Hall States." She plans on finishing her graduate studies at MIT, under Professor Han Anschutz. She will also complete her Doctoral work at CERN and is currently studying Swiss.
ABIGAIL L. YATES
Abigail L. Yates is a two-time winner of the Institute for Advanced Theoretical Research Prize for Students and a recipient of the Westinghouse Dream Beyond Your Ability Award. She is currently working on a dual degree in Astronomy and Physics at University of Michigan, while at the same time serving as captain of the University of Michigan Curling Team. Her stated goal is to "blow every mind worth blowing in modern physics."
On August 19, 2016, the Ghosts from Our Past Facebook posted the author photo of Erin and Abby from the first edition.
- The book was released in the real world in a revision form by Three River Press.
- Ghosts From Our Past appears in Ghostbusters: Slime City as a Legendary item and provides a 5% Proton Pack damage boost.
- Ghosts From Our Past appears in the music video for Elle King's "Good Girls" single.
- In the Tor Books Ghostbusters Novelization, on page 26, it's revealed Erin burned the only two original copies of Ghosts From Our Past and threw the ashes into the Hudson River in a weighted garbage bag.
- On page 20 of Ghostbusters International #11, pages from Rowan's copy of "Ghosts From Our Past" are posted up in panel 7 under Ray Stantz:
- The drawing of giant Rowan grabbing people opposite of the 'Open the Barrier' page
- The close up drawing of Rowan's face opposite of 'The Fourth Cataclysm' page
- "Ghosts of Our Past" is mentioned in the Dramatis Personae bios of Abby and Erin in Ghostbusters 101 #1.
- On page 20 of Ghostbusters 101 #1:
- Right of Rowan's sketch, the book Abby looks at features pages from two different books. The left page is the excerpt about vengeful spirits in "Ghosts From Our Past" seen in Chapter 13 of the 2016 movie. It was opposite of the drawing of Rowan electrocuting himself.
- Above Abby's book is a stack of three copies of "Ghosts From Our Past"
- The post-it notes on top of the stack are a nod to Abby's discount price labels "Now 5.99" and "Special! Going like Hotcakes" seen in her lab at Kenneth P. Higgins Institute of Science.
- On page 19 of Ghostbusters 101 #6, right of Patty is the stack of discounted copies of Ghosts From Our Past seen in Abby and Holtzmann's lab in the Kenneth P. Higgins Institute.
- On Cover A of Ghostbusters Answer The Call Issue #3, Patty is holding a copy of Ghosts From Our Past.
- Ghostbusters (2016 Movie)
- Ghostbusters 101
- Ghostbusters: Answer The Call
- Ghostbusters Crossing Over
- Ghosts from Our Past: Both Literally and Figuratively: The Study of the Paranormal (Three Rivers Press) (Real world book)
- Tobin's Spirit Guide
- ↑ Ghosts From Our Past Facebook 8/19/16
- ↑ Ghosts From Our Past Facebook 7/26/16
- ↑ Ghosts From Our Past Facebook 8/5/16
- ↑ Narrator (2016). Tor Books- "Ghostbusters Novelization (Holder)" (2016) (Book p.26). Line reads: "I thought I burned both copies. Then threw them into the Hudson River in a weighted garbage bag."
- ↑ Abby Yates (2017). IDW Comics- "Ghostbusters 101 #4" (2017) (Comic p.6). Abby Yates says: "How about Ghosts From Our Past?"
- ↑ Erin Gilbert (2017). IDW Comics- "Ghostbusters 101 #5" (2017) (Comic p.12). Erin Gilbert says: "Dr. Stantz has a whole store full of books, but nothing with his name on it. You... we wrote a book so comprehensive even a creepy bellhop person could follow the science in it and build from that."
- ↑ Narrator (2017). IDW Comics- "Ghostbusters: Answer The Call Issue #1" (2017) (Comic p.1). Narrator says: "Dr. Erin Gilbert, Physicist and co-author of Ghosts From Our Past...Dr. Abigail "Abby" Yates, Physicist and co-author of Ghosts From Our Past."
- ↑ 80-C Memo (2018). IDW Comics- "Ghostbusters Crossing Over Issue #1" (2018) (Comic p.22). 80-C Memo reads: "Along with Dr. Gilbert, Dr. Yates co-wrote this dimension's most in-depth guide to parapsychology, "Ghosts From Our Past"."