Gristle is part of a trio of bipedal interdimensional corporeal entities. They made a pact with a human named J.N. Kline in the physical plane. Through some means of telepathy, they spoke to Kline and he wrote a series of successful novels based on the entities. He is depicted as a deranged dentist and saw his inhuman creations as an art form. However, the deal was a ploy to write them into existence as immortal beings. After manifesting in the physical plane, Crainiac and the others bound Kline to his typewriter.
While Kline typed more stories, they carried out their twisted ritual acts and mutated their victims. First, Jimmy from a nearby diner was turned. Then they kidnapped patrons at Tuck's Inn Bed and Breakfast, half a mile up the road. The Ghostbusters confronted them at Tuck's then at Kline's Mansion. Eduardo shot Kline's typewriter with the Particle Thrower. The fire encircling Kline turned into a vortex and sucked Crainiac, Corpuscle, and Gristle into it. They were transported back to their dimension and sealed for good.
He is the tall one with the neck brace, and drills for hands.
Gristle is not standard ectoplasmic. Due to unique symbiosis with Kline and his literature, whatever the text says comes true. Hence, if the text says they are indestructible, then they are. A direct hit from the Proton Stream will blow up Gristle and he will immediately reform.
Spengler's Spirit Guide
Behind the Scenes
Gristle's design was a collaboration between Executive Producer Richard Raynis, Character Designer Everett Peck, "Deadliners" director Scott Wood, and Character Designer Fil Barlow. Barlow worked from Raynis' notes, Peck's rough designs, and Wood's sketches.
- Gristle appears on the IDW Convention Variant Cover of Ghostbusters 35th Anniversary: Extreme Ghostbusters.
- Eduardo Rivera (2009). Extreme Ghostbusters- Deadliners (1997) (DVD ts. 9:35-9:36). Sony Pictures Home Entertainment. Eduardo says: "Your buddy's Gristle."
- Kylie Griffin (2009). Extreme Ghostbusters- Deadliners (1997) (DVD ts. 11:00-11:02). Sony Pictures Home Entertainment. Kylie says: "Which means they're not ecto as we know it."
- Kylie Griffin (2009). Extreme Ghostbusters- Deadliners (1997) (DVD ts. 11:45-11:49). Sony Pictures Home Entertainment. Kylie says: "The Spirit Guide says, "They're spectral forms who enter the realm of the living through the act of writing.""
- Fil Barlow deviantArt reply #1 "XGB Ep04: Gristle" 5/8/15 Fil Barlow says: "I had fun with this episode, but design-wise I was working closely with the Director's sketches, along with notes from Richard Raynis and roughs by Everett Peck.""
- Fil Barlow deviantArt reply #2 "XGB Ep04: Gristle" 5/31/15 Fil Barlow says: "Yeah I wasn't paying attention to the character's weight for those three, they were difficult to get approved and were stitched together from designs done by Everett Peck, the Director and myself, there were also a lot of incidentals to complete so that we didn't see them in a line up until after their approval. It didn't bother me though, I like drawing heavy characters as much as skinny, so why can't there be two?""