Harold is first known as a writer in National Lampoon's Animal House. Harold directed National Lampoon's Vacation in 1983, starring Chevy Chase and Beverly D'Angelo. Harold's daughter Violet Ramis had a minor role in the movie. As Randy Quaid/Eddie Johnson's daughter in the movie Daisy Mable Johnson.
Harold is best known for his work on Meatballs, Caddyshack, Year One, Ghostbusters, Groundhog Day, and Stripes etc.
On February 24th, 2014, Mr. Ramis passed away due to complications from a rare disease Autoimmune inflammatory vasculitis, a condition he battled for four years. Ramis died Monday morning in his Chicago-area home and is survived by his wife, Erica Mann Ramis, three children and two grandchildren.
- In The Real Ghostbusters episode "Take Two", Winston mentions Harold Ramis' last name while reading off the cast of the movie being made about the Ghostbusters.
- On page 12 of Ghostbusters Volume 2 Issue #1, H. Ramis is listed as one of the authors of the technical report.
- In the Ghostbusters: Mass Hysteria hard cover collection, on page five, Ramis is referenced in Dan Aykroyd's introduction.
- In Ghostbusters: Get Real Issue #3, page 14, an eight pin board in the Proton Pack is named after Ramis.
- A bust of Harold Ramis makes a cameo in Ghostbusters (2016 Movie). Ramis' bust is outside of Erin Gilbert's office at Columbia University. When Dean Harold Filmore was about to leave then said, "Never mind." a second time, the bust is in view.
- The bust was given to Erica Ramis, Harold's wife. She in turn gave it to the Ramis Film School at The Second City in Chicago. It resides in the bar. 
- Harold Ramis' son Daniel Ramis has a cameo as the Metal Head who gives Rowan North a high five in Chapter 8 of the 2016 movie.
- On page 215 of Ghosts from Our Past: Both Literally and Figuratively: The Study of the Paranormal (Three Rivers Press), Harold Ramis is thanked in the acknowledgment section.
- Ramis is mentioned in the Introduction of Ghostbusters 101: Everyone Answers The Call TPB on page 2.
- On page 2 of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles/Ghostbusters Volume 2 Issue #3, one of the Ghostbusturtles has the first name of Harold Ramis.
- On Cover B of Ghostbusters Crossing Over Issue #4, the Harold Ramis bust from outside Dean Harold Filmore's office in the 2016 movie appears on the lower level.
- ↑ CNN 2/24/14
- ↑ Winston Zeddemore (2009). The Real Ghostbusters - "Take Two" (1986) (DVD ts. 06:20-06:24). Time Life Entertainment. Winston says: "Murray...Aykroyd...Ramis. What's that? A law firm?"
- ↑ Ray Stantz (2015). IDW Comics- "Ghostbusters: Get Real Issue #3" (2015) (Comic p.14). Ray says: "It was a snap once we upgraded the Ramis Boards from a six-pin to an eight!"
- ↑ paulfeig Tweet 11/27/16
- ↑ paulfeig Tweet 10/3/16 Paul Feig says: "He's the one who high fives Rowan outside the concert & says "Ozzy rocks!" That's Harold's son Daniel."