Dr. Martin Heiss was a famous debunker of the supernatural.
Martin Heiss was a well known debunker of all things supernatural. When a video surfaced of a video of a ghost, Martin said it was a fake on NY1 News. Later, Martin came to Ghostbusters headquarters, and demanded proof that there was infact a ghost in their trap. Abby was firmly against releasing the ghost from the trap, and Erin was for it. Ultimately, Erin released the ghost, which then took Martin through a window and he fell to the street below.
- On August 8, 2015, it was reported that Bill Murray arrived late in the week in Boston to film his role.
- Paul Feig simply wanted Heiss to be the kind of person to wear suits but Bill Murray pitched basing the character's look off English writer and storyteller Quentin Crisp.
- Heiss was given a walking stick because Feig's hobby is collecting them.
- Heiss was going to be killed off. A chalkoutline of Heiss, his hat and cane were even filmed but deleted. It was decided to keep what happened to Heiss ambiguous.
- In a deleted scene, it was revealed that he died.
- In one of the movie's tie-in books, "Ghosts from Our Past: Both Literally and Figuratively: The Study of the Paranormal," from Three Rivers Press, it is revealed that Martin Heiss survived the fall, but was very severely injured and went through months of expensive physical rehabilitation recovering from his injuries. His encounter caused him to have a change of heart and become thoroughly convinced that ghosts do exist, so much so that he wrote the "New Foreword" to the book.
- In Ghostbusters 101 #4, Erin notes Peter Venkman looks like Martin Heiss.
- IDW Comics
- ↑ Super Hero Hype "Bill Murray Spotted on His Way to the Ghostbusters Set" 8/8/15
- ↑ EMPIRE Online "Empire Podcast: Ghostbusters Spoiler Special with Paul Feig" 23:50-23:59 7/27/16 Paul Feig says: "Well, I wanted him in a suit because we always thought it would be fun if he was that kind of guy but when he showed up, he wanted to base the character, his look off Quentin Crisp."
- ↑ EMPIRE Online "Empire Podcast: Ghostbusters Spoiler Special with Paul Feig" 24:04-24:09 7/27/16 Paul Feig says: "But I wanted him to have a walking stick because of my affectations."
- ↑ EMPIRE Online "Empire Podcast: Ghostbusters Spoiler Special with Paul Feig" 16:49-17:10 7/27/16 Paul Feig says: "We actually talked about it and then just thought um I don't know if we actually made so you're not quite sure he got killed or not when he's thrown out the window. Originally, I shot it where you literally see the chalk outline of him and his hat and his cane is outlined, too, but ah, maybe we leave the door open for Bill Murray."
- ↑ Erin Gilbert (2017). IDW Comics- "Ghostbusters 101 #4" (2017) (Comic p.3). Erin Gilbert says: "Patty's Uncle and... and Martin Heiss... and... and that Cabbie."
- ↑ Peter Venkman (2017). IDW Comics- "Ghostbusters 101 #4" (2017) (Comic p.3). Peter Venkman says: "Now was I supposed to be the cabbie or the other guy?"
- ↑ 80-C Memo (2018). IDW Comics- "Ghostbusters Crossing Over Issue #1" (2018) (Comic p.22). 80-C Memo reads: "The man in Dr. Venkman's face debunked cons, as opposed to performing them."