Developed from the Proton Grenade (Air Filter Prototype), Proton Grenade (Air Filter)'s were first presented on the table with the proton sidearms after the Ghostbusters met with Mayor Bradley. The demonstration of the Proton Grenade was conducted by Erin with one of the three on the table. She instructed her to throw it and it would send up a "little poof" only dangerous to ghosts. Erin armed and threw it. It exploded by some trash. Everyone was dazzled. Holtzmann corrected herself, it was a "medium poof." Later, three were placed on a ammo shoulder strap and worn by Abby Yates before headed to Times Square. Abby used the grenades against the Times Square Battle Ghosts.
During a bust on Ellis Island, Holtzmann threw Proton Grenades at the Megaspook Jr. while debating with Patty Tolan about what a Kraken looked like. One grenade detonated on the entity and three of the previously dispersed Pirate Ghosts flew out of its body.
- A Proton Grenade makes a cameo on Credits Page of Ghostbusters 101 #1, thrown in the air on the left.
- ↑ Sony Pictures Releasing UK YouTube "GHOSTBUSTERS Gadgets Vignette" 1:37-1:38 6/29/16 Paul Feig says: "From Proton Grenades..."
- ↑ Deutsch, Stacia (June 2016). "Ghostbusters Movie Novelization", p. 117. Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing Division, New York NY USA, ISBN 1481475126. Narrator says: "Patty threw proton grenades, sending several ghosts flying in another explosion of ectoplasm."
- ↑ Holder, Nancy (July 2016). Ghostbusters, p. 237. Tom Doherty Associates, LLC, New York NY USA, ISBN 076538843X. Narrator says: "Holtzmann had also created two kinds of grenades--'air filters' and 'test tubes'-- plus a proton grenade launcher for Erin and a 'drop-down' gun for herself."
- ↑ Jillian Holtzmann (2016). Ghostbusters (2016 Movie) Extended Edition; Chapter 11 (2016) (Blu-Ray ts. 1:15:34-1:15:38). Sony Pictures. Jillian Holtzmann says: "That's gonna send up a little poof. It's only dangerous to ghosts."