"Of course, you forget, Peter, I was present at an undersea, unexplained mass sponge migration."
- Ray Stantz; Ghostbusters
Dr. Raymond “Ray” Stantz was one of the original Ghostbusters and was one of the most devoted to the pursuit of studying the paranormal. He appears in all major forms of Ghostbusters Franchise, however like Peter and Winston was a guest on Extreme Ghostbusters.
Ray's devotion to the company was obvious when he mortgaged the house his parents had left to him to provide the capital to begin Ghostbusters Inc. Ray was also a handy man and largely responsible for the repair and modification of the Ecto-1. He wasn't particularly religious, but did seem to believe in a spiritual realm of sorts. In the video game it is shown he believes in the concept of a soul. He also states that he played a game entitled Ghosts and Gargoyles while in the seminary, indicating he may have at one time considered becoming a clergyman.
Ray is regarded by Peter as the "heart of the Ghostbusters." Indeed, Ray displays a level of ebullience when it comes to Ghostbusting and paranormal science in general unmatched by any of his colleagues (One example is were Peter was slimed by Slimer is where he exclaims "That's great! ACTUAL physical contact!"). His mention of an undersea, unexplained mass sponge migration shows he's more than eager to go anywhere it takes to study the strange and unusual.
Ray is generally the most positive of the group in outlook, however bits of cynicism will surface on occasion.("Yuppie Larvae")
Before they were kicked out of the University, Ray was devoting a lot of his workday to interviewing people who had some sort of encounter with the paranormal. After the entanglement with the library ghost, Ray was more motivated to continue on with that type of work. When the guys were let go by Dean Yager, he was initially crushed, primarily concerned with his academic integrity, financial stability, etc. Ray had briefly worked in the private sector beforehand, and knew it wasn't conductive to his line of work, as they expected notable results.
After talking with Peter Venkman and Egon Spengler, they all decided to try hunting ghosts full time. Ray even mortgaged the house he was born in to provide the starting capital to get the company started and buy the firehouse. In addition, he rummaged through used car lots to find a suitable vehicle and repair it to make the Ecto-1.
Dr. Stantz also has the distinction of being the first Ghostbuster to meet Slimer. Unlike his other continuity, however Ray dropped his cigarette in fear. He then went proton blasting, after his call for assistance was unheard by Venkman.
Ray accidentally chose the form of Gozer's appearance because of his childhood times at Camp Waconda. Despite his initial attempt at negotiations, he wound up fighting Gozer with his Proton Pack. After reversing the particle flow to force Gozer back into his realm, Ray was concerned about the other guys' welfare after the explosion, and then celebrated with them all afterward. Although this was short-lived by the, "ungrateful, yuppie larvae!" representing the city, county and state of New York.
In the second film he and Winston were entertainers for parties. When he was not doing that, he was running his bookstore, Ray's Occult Books. However, when Dana Barrett comes to Egon and later Ray, it becomes clear that something supernatural was happening underneath New York.
Ray and Egon experiment with the Psychomagnotheric Slime they find and eventually discover a way to not only positively charge the slime, but utilize it to animate the Statue of Liberty in their final assault on Vigo the Carpathian. Ray also briefly becomes the host for Vigo himself, but a liberal dousing of the positively charged mood slime quickly cures him of that.
Ghostbusters: The Video Game
In Ghostbusters: The Video Game, Ray is one of the senior 'busters. He is voiced by none other than Dan Aykroyd and thus is similar to his movie counterpart. He is still the wide-eyed enthusiast and still more than eager to expand his knowledge in regards to researching the paranormal. More than once he asks the Rookie to collect samples and take readings for later research. Ray is also the most vocally supportive of the Rookie.
It is mentioned that the mortgage for the Firehouse is in his name. His selection for the Stay Puft form of Gozer's "Destructor Form" was mentioned in a quote "It wasn't me this time, I swear it!" when the 'busters see that Stay Puft is, once again, terrorizing New York. Ray is the most visibly shaken to see Mr. Stay Puft again.
Ray is shown to possess skill in operating nautical vessels (i.e.: migrant sponge observation, mentioned earlier) as he's the primary navigator on Marine Ecto-8.
Secondary Canon History
IDW Comic Series
Ray and Peter enrolled in Professor Tonick's Esoteric Literature course in their freshman year of college. One topic in the course was Atlantis. Recognizing their interests and thinking a connection would be good, Peter introduced Ray and Egon to each other in college, which sparked a wealth of research. Ray's sister was concerned about her son, who wore his heart on his sleeve and seemed angry all the time, and asked Peter to talk to him. Peter ended up with a black eye. Ray attained a PhD in Parapsychology and became well-learned in various other disciplines. He and Egon co-invented the P.K.E. Meter first.
When Koza'Rai attacked the Ghostbusters, Ray Stantz was displaced to Arthurian England where he fought Flame Dragon Ghosts with a steam-powered Proton Pack. The now bearded warrior became an esteemed ally and friend of King Arthur. Tasked with saving the people of Camelot, Ray discovered a weakness in the Castle of the Damned, where they were imprisoned, and formulated a strategy with a better than 33% rate of success, based on Gundershnitz' "Elements of Surprise in Asymmetrical Warfare." Ray was interrupted by the arrival of Peter Venkman and Rachel Unglighter.
After defeating Morgan Le Fay, the trio searched for Egon but found themselves on a colonized Mars. Based on the sights, Ray believed they were in the year 2060 and cited Dr. Slausow's "Quantum Futuristics" as proof. Ray was eager to study Martian society and quickly shaved his beard off. However, the trio was arrested and taken to see the Great Defender who turned to be Egon. Unfortunately, Egon was suffering from a form of cognitive dissidence and Ray had to render him unconscious twice as the team made their escape. Once Koza'Rai was defeated, the Ghostbusters set out to find Janine Melnitz. They traced her to 1780 but Ray accidentally ported them right into the lair of a Level Six Slime Entity.
On Christmas Eve, the team decided to pursue a very lucrative assignment for Woodrow Wainwright Fraser III. It appeared the Ghosts of Christmas were haunting him. The Ghost of Christmas Past teleported everyone to Camp Waconda where Ray was entranced by the sight of his parents and his younger self roasting Stay Puft Marshmallows. Even after the ghost was trapped, Ray remained behind in the past. The Ghosts explained what was really going on while Peter deduced the truth on his own and wrangled the Ghost of Christmas Present from Fraser's body.
During a Valentine's Day holiday, Ray Stantz elected to conduct research for the case involving Tiyah Clarke. He narrowed his results to identify the entity haunting her, Ballard Wright, and the apartment itself had a history on the Occult Reference Net. After Wright dispersed, Egon and Ray spent their Valentine's Day doing a debrief on the unsuccessful field test of the Arm Mounted Proton Pack and attempted to find a way to make it a useful addition to the team's arsenal.
On a Fourth of July, it was Ray's turn to select a place for the team to spend their vacation. Ray chose the Independence Day Con out of state. He wanted to attend the tribute panel for the recently deceased Frank Bancroft. After the panel, Ray had a brief war of words with a fan of Karl Miller, a contemporary of Bancroft's. However, the festivities were interrupted by the arrival of a demon named D'Orka. Ray and many convention attendees were placed under a state of hypnosis and forced to worship D'Orka. Luckily, Egon managed to get help from the ghost of Bancroft and disperse D'Orka. Ray missed Bancroft but was left a memento, a sketch of Ray in his Ghostbuster gear.
After the team turned down a $50,000 job by the cutthroat producer Artie Lester, Ray discovered the connection between Lester, Tobin's Mansion, and an old partner named Sam Hain. Just at that moment, Egon answered a call from Lester detailing Janine's solo unsanctioned bust. They arrived at the mansion and Ray captured Hain's ghost in a confinement stream. At Janine's behest, Sam Hain was released and allowed to return to the Nether realm.
Shortly after, on Thanksgiving, the team investigated the kitchen of a Mr. Fairless. After Egon made a positive sighting on a possessed turkey, Ray charged alone and was knocked back. Ray was ecstatic but reported the Proton Streams had no effect on it. The team then realized the stuffing was the object possessed and the turkey was being used as a suit of armor.
During another bust, Ray's calculations almost sank Coney Island. Not much is known but Peter felt it best to keep reminding Ray not to do anymore calculations. When New York City was menaced by Poltergeists and Zombies, Ray devised a Ghost Gun but it lacked the heft to damage an escapee from the Containment Unit, the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man.
During a dream, Ray experienced a precognitive episode. He encountered a spirit guide who warned him he would be targeted by the Third. The next day, Jim Silver attempted to take Ray with him by threatening a lawsuit over the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man. Winston and Peter intervened. As Idulnas communed with Gozer, it appeared Ray was "The Selector" needed in a rite of change. Idulnas animated a nearby bear statue to draw him back to Manhattan. In anticipation of the return of Stay Puft, Ray spent two days completing the Megatrap.
After the Terror Bear was defeated, Ray was kidnapped by Idulnas and taken to roof of 55 Central Park West. Idulnas revealed he was technically created by Ray. Since Ray was open to the beyond, he was the chosen Selector for Gozer's Destructor Form. But Gozer's defeat and subsequent ones after led to the creation of Idulnas. Idulnas was tasked with bringing about re-selection so Gozer could complete its task of destruction. Idulnas then punched him so Ray's mind would be easier to influence towards choosing a "better" form for Gozer. Luckily, the spirit guide got to Ray first and instructed him to keep thinking about the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man. Ray did so and Gozer remained stuck as Stay Puft. After Idulnas left the physical plane, Ray reunited with the guys. While they opened fire on Stay Puft, Ray took the Megatrap with him down to Room 2206. He held the trap out the window and captured enough of Gozer's essence to discorporate Stay Puft.
After Walter Peck revoked the Ghostbusters' permits, Ray spent more time at Ray's Occult Store and worked alongside the manager, Kylie Griffin. He tried to convince Kylie to help look for loopholes in the city contract but she refused to get involved. Following the Fantastic Land case, Ray gave Janine a Bruce the Fantastic Chimp doll to give to Peter as a get-well-gift while he recovered in the hospital. Suffice to say, Peter didn't like it very much.
Ray was excited about a road trip and felt it was the Ghostbusters' responsibility to help any and everyone along the way. At the Fort Wayne job, Ray approached the front gate alone and posed as a 'Colonel John Hall' and declared he was there to conduct a surprise inspection. The controlling entity Major-General Anthony Wayne suspected Ray was a Canadian spy and sympathizer. Wayne ordered his men to make an example of Ray. The other Ghostbusters trapped the ghosts. Before Wayne could get away, Ray confined him in a Proton Stream. Winston fired another stream and convinced Wayne to surrender and allow himself to be trapped. When Peter ruined the moment, Ray reminded Winston of the time Peter trapped Gandhi before Ray could learn the meaning of life then offered the first round of drinks on him.
During the fall, Ray was once again visited by the spirit guide. He assumed the form of his romantic interest and warned him about the dimensional shifting. When Ray voiced little concern, the spirit guide elaborated ghosts were the equivalent of insulation for the walls between dimensions and things could be escaping. He also advised Ray to start dating a real woman, such as the one at the doughnut shop. During the coordinated assault on the Megaspook, Ray hit it off with Jenny Moran and she accompanied him on his Ecto-Gyro.
Months later, in February, Ray was taken by a yellow demon while he was out on a bust. He awoke in another dimension with the other Ghostbusters. After using a controlled explosion to get back home, the Ghostbusters went after the possessed Janosz who summoned the Collectors in the first place. Since then, Ray and Egon began to heavily research extradimensional theory and went over exhausting amounts of data. Ray was still a little traumatized by his experience in limbo and met up with Jenny for coffee at a Pequod's. Ray welcomed the diversion and Jenny was keen on a dinner date in the near future. Later in the summer, Winston took on a bust in Las Vegas. He consulted with Ray on the nature of the haunt. Ray assured him the threat was minor. A few days later, Ray took a pre-trip look at the Marine Ecto-8 and determined it was seaworthy. One hour or so later, Ecto-8 approached the John Milton just as Ray finished barfing overboard from seasickness. Ray instantly recognized the boat and recited the story of its shipwreck.
Surrounded by the Crew of John Milton, Ray cautioned simply opening several Traps wouldn't work due to the large amount of spectral energy present. Kylie improvised and shot the floor below them based on earlier readings. The trio found themselves in a sprawling ice cavern. Even Ray was amazed by the massive extradimensional expansion. The controlling entity Francis Harding appeared to them and demanded they leave. Unable to comply, Peter was concerning trapping Harding would take the boat away. Ray advised they should try to separate him from the ship construct first then realized the Ghostbusters' escape from the Collectors' Limbo earlier in the summer sent out ripples in the dimensional fabric that appeared to give Harding more P.K.E. to work with. Peter, Kylie, and Ray opened fire and dissipated the giant body Harding created. Kylie wrangled him and Ray trapped him before Peter could stop him. Luckily, Harding's hold was so strong the boat construct still remained. After escaping, Peter and Ray took a flight to Vineyard Haven and reunited Harding with his father at the Captain's grave. Ray called up Kylie to get an update on the John Milton, which flew into the sky.
During Halloween, Ray donned a Slime Blower for a call to Central Park concerning a Ghost Fire Wall. Ray punched a hole through the wall with the positively charged Psychomagnotheric Slime. Once Stingy Jack was captured and The Devil returned to Hell, the wall of fire remained. Since Ray was the only one with a Slime Blower, he was left behind to dissipate the wall. A couple weeks into the Tiamat incident, Ray Stantz began to suffer spontaneous mental episodes, where he conversed with the latent spirit of Gozer, while the Ghostbusters headed to Hart Island to face Vigo. Ray refused to capitulate to Gozer and ordered him out of his mind. Gozer was amused. Ray slipped out of an episode and was partially lit on fire. Jenny Moran grabbed his Slime Blower and put the flame out. Amid the battle against Vigo, Ray entered another trance right when the others needed him most. Gozer demanded to be freed so he could continue to destroy worlds, dimensions, and go after his sister Tiamat.
Still in a trance state, Ray now found himself bound on a giant spider web and Gozer was now in the form of the Spider Witch. Ray learned Tiamat's arrival sparked Gozer's resurgence and he was resolved to fulfull his purpose. Ray regained consciousness on Marine Ecto-8, where he hurled overboard. Winston informed him what happened on Hart Island but Ray couldn't believe what transpired with Vigo. Peter, Melanie and Ray observed Vigo was back in his painting at the Firehouse. Ray was concerned with the appearance of Vigo and the Scoleri Brothers, whether they were the real deal or facsimiles, and the implication of more similar manifestations. Melanie interjected and countered the bigger problem was Ray's lapses in the field. Ray headed upstairs to use the Aura Video-Analyzer. However, he soon displayed signs of possession. The equipment overheated and severed as Ray levitated into the air, eyes red, and muttering.
Ray continued to refuse to submit to Gozer's will but Tiamat crossed over into his mind. Ray could only watch as the two gods did battle. To make matter worse, the other Ghostbusters' attempts to free Ray with the Arm Mounted Proton Packs, Compact Pack and Proton Packs failed. Due to Tiamat's manipulations, Ray temporarily forgot the Containment Unit could be opened if one of the Ghostbusters were compromised by possession. This gave Gozer a glimmer of hope. Tiamat took pleasure in her brother's latest defeat then banished him into another dimension. Ray remained possessed by Tiamat and further transmogrified as the others confronted them in the basement. The possessed Ray banged on the Containment Unit with his super strength and threatened to rupture it until Winston stepped forward and offered his life as a sacrifice.
Ray came to with short term memory loss and could only remember getting a call about Hart Island. Peter quickly apprised him of the current situation and pointed him to the containment grid. Ray quickly grabbed a monkey wrench and went to work on manually venting the unit. Around September 14, Ray informed Special Agent Ortiz about the mythology behind Hedylogos, the entity she helped capture in St. Louis, Missouri. At some point, Ray and Egon constructed a Dimensional Inverter to detect and warn of fallout from a dimensional breach. After trapping a particularly aggressive Class 5 ghost, the Ghostbusters were routed to Emmanuel Baptist Church to investigate the arrival of a potential Class 7 entity. Locked out, they opted to blow a hole. Ray used his Ecto Goggles' new thermal imaging feature to make sure there weren't any civilians on the other side of the wall first.
While shooting at Chi-You and the anthropomorphic constructs, Ray noticed the Turtles were rather heavy for constructs. After Winston called for a cease fire, April O'Neil yelled at Peter. She mentioned Chi-You and Ray recognized the name from Chinese history. Ray was enthusiastic with helping the Turtles and reveled in using the situation as a learning experience. He examined Donatello with his Ecto Goggles and began asking questions, namely how they arrived, if there were more of them where they came from, were they from Earth and were they aliens. Donatello revealed they were mutants and were testing an Interspatial Teleportation Unit. Ray immediately realized they landed in the correct space but a fraction of a decimal point away from the proper dimensional wavelength. Donatello was happy to meet people who understood him. He showed Ray and Egon the teleportation unit schematics. Ray was impressed and believed there were sufficient parts at the Firehouse to jury rig such a device. After Egon and Donatello got into a quibble about ghosts and aliens, Ray tried to reason with Donatello. He led Donatello down to the basement and showed him the Containment Unit. At Ray's behest, Donatello examined the unit's power source and verified they could use it to power the teleportation unit. News of an incident at the Madison Square Garden prompted Ray to outfit Donatello with his spare Proton Pack. Ray contributed to initial work on the Interspatial Teleportation Unit then later split off with April O'Neil to build an electromagnetic pulse emitter designed to take out all Thralls of Chi-You at once.
Ray was impressed with April's knack for engineering and urged her to change her major. Once the Electromagnetic Pulse Emitter was properly calibrated, Ray had April reconnect the power. However, Chi-You arrived in the laboratory and attacked the trio. Luckily, Casey activated the pulse emitter. Chi-You continued to resist and threatened to peel the flesh off him. Peter and Winston arrived and confined Chi-You but it wasn't enough. Chi-You possessed Winston. Ray reached for the Miniature Slime Blower and fired. Chi-You ducked the Psychomagnotheric Slime and kicked Ray in the face. As the battle continued into the main section of the second floor, April found Ray unconscious. Kylie brought out a first aid kit and bandaged his head. A short while later, Ray was conscious again. He helped finish connecting the Interspatial Teleportation Unit and invited the Turtles back the next time they found themselves stranded.
The Ghostbusters returned to the Firehouse from a case and discovered parallel versions of themselves let Slimer loose by accident but retrapped him. They talked. Ray agreed with his counterpart in thinking the situation was awesome. He was excited to learn from the other Ghostbusters. After Egon suggested a full battery of tests, Ray agreed more information would help them get back home. The parallel Ray talked about the possessed Atlas statue blasting them. Ray was amazed with the ectenic force that was probably present.
Ray stayed at the Firehouse with Egon to take biometric data from the parallel Peter Venkman and Winston Zeddemore. He explained the data would help isolate the specific frequency of their home dimension. Then Kylie informed him he forgot to carry the two again. A couple hours later, after the others returned from a bust at the Bronx Zoo, Ray noticed the readings coming off parallel Ray were similar to the time he was possessed by Gozer and Tiamat. He deduced they were attacked by a primordial god in their home dimension. Ray proposed retrieving fresh readings from the parallel Ghostbusters' dimension then both teams could consult their supernatural reference materials to identify the god. Ray reveled in the opportunity to expand their knowledge base on interdimensional physics and collect some data firsthand.
Ray put on the Ecto-Suit and Winston held onto the suit's tether so it would keep the Interspatial Teleportation Unit's portal in flux and open indefinitely. He went through to another universe and arrived in the other Ghostbusters' Firehouse sleeping quarters. He amazed by the similarities and different smells. Ray checked his P.K.E. Meter and was amazing by the readings. Ray hid from the alternate Janine as she went into Egon's laboratory to analyze the audio Slimer recorded inside the Containment Unit with Slimer's Recorder Pack. While amazed by the notion, Ray heard the name "Proteus" and the location of a potential dimensional nexus in Midtown Manhattan. Happy to get some leads, Ray turned and encountered the alternate Slimer. Ray tried to greet it but Slimer panicked and flew away, sliming the Ecto-Suit in the process. Ray quickly ran back to the portal before Janine saw him. To his annoyance, Ray returned only to be teased by Peter quoting Janosz Poha. Ray mused he could shower for a month. Egon told him to burn the Ecto-Suit.
The Ghostbusters tailored their research to focus on Proteus. Some time later, Ray found an entry about Proteus, its dislike of being captured, and ability to glimpse the future if captured. Shifting to the P.K.E. readings, Ray observed they indicated Proteus had a potential susceptibility to quantum interruption. Egon presented a Proton Grenade. The Egons and Rays went to work on the grenades and packs. The alternate Ray was amazed at how wide of an energy spectrum the Proton Packs had. Ray revealed it was a snap once they upgraded the Ramis Boards from a six-pin to an eight. The Ghostbusters soon received a visit from the Cerberus Manifestation. Kylie activated the Wall-Trap and preoccupied it while everyone ran back downstairs. Ray made a side bet with Kylie on how it would take to come down. It came five seconds ahead of Ray's guess. He had to give Kylie two weeks off with pay. After Kylie trapped its essence with the Megatrap, Ray mused it was time to send the alternate team back home but it was too late. Proteus had arrived.
During an investigation in Staten Island, the Ghostbusters encountered the Sandman. He was forced into a dream state. Ray was the first to notice something was wrong. He was troubled with how Peter's shot made the Sandman blow up and spray the house with blue ectoplasm. As they left, Ray thought he saw something different about the door frame, ivory. Ray was trapped in a dream where he was performing maintenance on Peter's Particle Thrower in the Firehouse. All he could find was some sand. "Winston" was troubled that Ray didn't know what was wrong and shoved everything off his work table. Peter later did the same thing. Ray was troubled by a sense of deja vu. He was visited by his spirit guide. He soon realized they never left the house. The guide stated all he could do was reconnect Ray with the others. It was up to Ray to snap them out of their dream states. Ray then asked how to deal with the Sandman. The guide assured him he would figure it out then threw Ray into the mirror. Ray suddenly appeared in possessed Dana's place in Peter's dream. Ray quickly explained what happened. Once Peter asked how to get out of the dream, Ray threw him out the window. They arrived in Winston's dream, about his wedding to Tiyah at the Loeb Boathouse. Winston became irate since the dream was the only place he didn't have to deal with them. The trio went through a door and found Egon in his dream. Once the Sandman revealed himself, the Ghostbusters visualized their equipment and attacked. Ray conjured a Proton Pack. Winston, Ray, and Peter were able to break down his barrier and destroyed his hourglass totem before he extracted one of Egon's eyes. Sandman dispersed and the Ghostbusters regained consciousness. Ray did some research and identified the entity as the Sandman.
After Staten Island, things returned to "normal" so Ray went to get a reading from Jennifer at the Village Psychic in East Village to see if there was anything interesting on the horizon. The first Tarot she drew was the Death Card. Ray interpreted it as a form of change but he relented to her concern any change connected to the Ghostbusters was something to be worried about. The session was interrupted when Ray got a call about a bust at the United Nations Building. Things got interesting when international businessman Erland Vinter stepped in to pay for the capture and a future consultation -- with a blank check. Winston had a background check run on him but found nothing bad. Ray was elated with the mystery and intrigue. A few days later, Vinter revealed he wanted to buy the Ghostbusters. Ray immediately stated the Ghostbusters weren't for sale. Peter was more open to hearing the offer amount. When Vinter wrote down a number, the trio stared in shock. However, Peck intervened and brought up the current municipal contract that made New York City to be seen first due to the high volume of ghost activity. Instead, he made a deal to loan the Ghostbuters for up to two weeks in a month. Later that day, Ray met with Jenny for a late lunch at the All Night Deli in the Lower East Side. She was jealous they got to go to Italy. Ray invited her to join them but she didn't want her first trip there to involve ghost hunting or Peter. Despite Ray's protest, Jenny left to continue work on clearing customs for their equipment. She asked him to bring her a souvenir.
The next week, while in Venice, Ray attempted to establish a baseline of psychokinetic activity with a Giga meter but he buried the needle to his surprise. They would be going in blind to the case site, Poveglia. Peter guessed Ray was actually in a mood because Jenny didn't come along to which he denied. Back at the hotel, Peter told Ray and Winston about his encounter with a Venetian Shop Ghost. Ray insisted he said most of the ghosts in the city were the quiet type. Peter teased him about Jenny again. Ray tried to cover himself but Winston revealed everyone knew they were seeing each other. Ray took another shot to the ego when Winston revealed Janine bet Kylie $20 that Ray didn't have a personal life.
Ray fine tuned the meter to compensate for and sift through the heavy concentration of psychokinetic energy. The modification came in handy in tracking the Plague Doctor Ghost on Poveglia. As Ray told the others about the paranormal history of the defunct asylum, the Plague Doctor grabbed and Ray and swung him around. It said, "Devi Andare" then proceeded to slam Ray into the ground. Ray managed to use his thrower to blow a hole in the floor. He landed in a basement and found a hidden Poveglian Artifact in a wall. Amazed by its huge P.K.E. signature, Ray failed to notice the Plague Doctor behind him. Peter and Winston arrived and confined the ghost then Ray trapped it. Ray quickly took photos of the artifact intent on emailing them to Egon for a translation. He then tossed it into the back up Trap to contain the P.K.E. it was drenched in. In County Clare, Ray, Winston, and Peck battled a Banshee for almost an hour. Peck almost shot them twice.
Ray saw video from Egon's Apartment and immediately guessed he went through accelerated cellular dispersal but after Peter interjected, Ray speculated Egon could have been sent to an unexplored parallel dimension or sub-quantum pocket realm. After Kaia arrived with new demands, Ray became testy and told her they kept copious notes and a photographic record of the destroyed Poveglian Artifact. Peter tasked Ray, Kylie, and parallel Egon with sort out where they were going in order to find the key and map to the Rauoskinna. Ray went on the flight to Chiloe Island and relished in all the entities they could encounter like the phantom ship El Caleuche or Millalobo, a demonic half-man, half-seal. The team entered a cave and fought an Imbunche then a Brujo. Ray got an idea and had Melanie rile up the Brujo with insults. Melanie indicated the Egon from another dimension was going to eat his soul. The plan worked like a charm. The Brujo was distracted with choking Egon. Ray took out a green pouch from his front pocket and threw salt on the Brujo. While the Brujo recoiled in fear, it was trapped. Ray searched behind a boulder, where the lone P.K.E. reading resided, and found the key to Bishop Gottskalk Nikulausson's secret tomb.
After the Ghostbusters procured the Rauoskinna, Ray and Kylie spent the next day and a half quickly going through it and tearing out relevant pages to sort as soon as possible. Ray hoped he would find something that could let them zero in on whatever dimensional sub-pocket Egon might be stored in by Loftur. He suspected the physical book was the real key to the spells much like a magic wand. Jenny nearly cast one of the more dangerous spells but Kylie stopped her. Kevin Tanaka called the lab phone and told Ray there was a call from Loftur. Kevin put him through. Before Ray could read him the riot act, Loftur told him he wanted to meet with the Ghostbusters in Central Park near Umpire Rock at midnight. Ray and Jenny rushed over to Renaissance Pizzaria and informed Peter, Janine, and Melanie.
Ray held a lighter to the Rauoskinna and demanded Egon's return but Loftur didn't care anymore. He blasted the lighter out of Ray's hand. Melanie opened fire on Loftur but he easily blocked it. Jenny read a spell from the Rauoskinna and was consumed in flames. Ray tried to run to Jenny but the others stopped him. They were all transported to Hell. Ray and Janine helped up Jenny. Rather than giving Loftur the book to facilitate their escape, Ray believed they should think of a better solution. They watched as Hell's Demons attacked Loftur and reduced him to a corpse. Ray took advantage of the situation to douse the demons in positively charged Psychomagnotheric Slime to see what would happen. After the Devil collected Loftur's soul, Janine asked what their next move was. Ray suggested they could jury rig a calculated protonic reversal to tear a hole in the fabric of the universe to escape but Peter didn't like the idea of creating a direct route from Hell to New York. Kylie recalled Ray referencing "Dante's Inferno" earlier and believed they just had to retrace Dante's journey to the endpoint of the River Styx then climb down an ice cavern.
Aibell sensed the Rauoskinna's power and teleported everyone to Craig Liath. She called in the favor Peter owed her and wanted the book. Jenny thought it was too dangerous and destroyed the book. Aibell was furious. Ray didn't see Jenny get vaporized. After Peter caught Aibell on a technicality, she sent them back to Central Park. Ray couldn't wait to celebrate but noticed Jenny was missing. He declared they were going back. Jenny manifested as a ghost. She promised she wasn't going anywhere. She kissed and hugged Ray. The next day, the Ghostbusters got a call from the Bronx. Ray took the wheel and noticed Egon was smiling. He inquired if he should be worried. Egon admitted it was good to be back. Ecto-1 departed.
Melanie asked the New York branch for Ray and Kylie to help her on a case in Roarke's Junction, Iowa. Peter came in his place and claimed Ray was wrapped up in something. In the fall, Janine told Peter and Ray to check up on her niece Cait Banner in Bay Ridge after she realized some equipment was missing. They observed Cait trap a ghost without a Proton Pack. He admired her drive as well as her friends', Zoe Zawadzki and Evan Torres, and offered to teach them if they were interested. Peter instructed them to apologize to Janine first to see if any of them survived. They took him up on his offer. Cait, Zoe, and Evan asked what Slimer was a ghost of. Egon and Kylie shared their theories. Ray found a passage about the Cult of Gozer and the Sedgewick in Funder's Cults of the Northeast. He believed the semi-corporeal ghost they conjured was in fact Slimer and he was simply a representational force of gluttony, never human. After Ray shared his findings, they were amazed to see and hear Slimer talk to them for the first time and state he was once a king. Ray, Egon, and Kylie rushed around to document the development. Cait, Zoe, and Evan found Peter hiding in the sleeping quarters and asked if they did all right. Peter thought of something else and spoke into his walkie talkie. No one noticed the other walkie talkie he hid behind the containment tank. Slimer 'spoke' again and revealed Ray gave him Egon's stash of snack cakes to see if it would digest differently. Egon wasn't pleased to hear it.
As punishment for stealing the equipment, Janine made Cait, Zoe, and Evan take up Ray on his offer. During an incident on Coney Island, Egon and Ray searched the sewers for the true source of the disturbance while Peter and Winston dealt with a Class 3 ghost on the surface. Ray and Egon discovered a pool of Psychomagnotheric Slime. Upon further inspection, Ray realized it was positively charged. Ray concluded it was for the best to neutralize it before it did something worse than influence a ghost. He suggested negative emotions then Egon punched him in the face. Ray clarified to directly apply it to the slime. Egon cited how he was recently atomized by Loftur as the reason for misunderstanding. Ray wasn't having any of it and recalled he used the same excuse when he ate his Lo Mein. Ray asked for a Proton Grenade. They underestimated the slime's reaction to the grenade. It erupted all over Coney. A week later, Ray lectured Cait, Zoe, and Evan on the 7-level classification system. After an hour and a half, Ray got to the difference between a Class 3 and a Class 4 and emphasized identity was a powerful tool and weapon. Kylie interrupted the lecture and informed Ray he was being summoned for a meeting downstairs. Ray insisted he was getting to the good part but Kylie pointed out Peck was present and twitchy. Ray suspended the lecture and joined the meeting. Ray declared it was practically Christmas after Winston pointed out the irony of Peck griping about a jerk from the EPA. On August 14, Ray was contracted by Melanie to help with a case in Las Vegas. Ray's research led him to believe the inciting entity was the ghost of stage magician Ethan Kaine. However, Ray was suspicious of Kaine having the power to transform buildings and act as a beacon to attract ghosts to the city. On Ray's hunch, he and Melanie searched the network of tunnels under Vegas and discovered a River of Slime. Ray wired a Slime Spritzer canister of positively charged Psychomagnotheric Slime to a Proton Grenade and threw it into the River. Kaine lost his connection to the River and was trapped by Lou and Dani.
A couple weeks after the teleporter incident, Jenny and Ray supervised a cube session with a 101 cadet named Ms. Zeigler. Ray was called to the book store to authenticate a collector's item. Some time later, Janine called up Jenny looking for Ray. While Jenny called him, Janine alerted the others about the appearance of twin Statues of Liberty in New York Harbor. Peter, Winston, and Ray investigated and took readings. Back at the Firehouse, an alternate team of Ghostbusters had arrived. After Abby noticed Egon scanning her dimensional frequency, Ray explained it was part and parcel of one of their current projects. The discussion moved downstairs to the basement. After Jillian Holtzmann then Peter joked at his expense, Ray noted the readings of the Statues of Liberty matched the readings taken when the 101 pilot team used the teleportation unit. Ray invited Holtzmann to interact with the portal but her hand emerged well above her arm. Egon noted the frequency fluctuation proved their dimensions were overlapping. Ray stated to talk about how their first encounter with Gozer led to crossing the streams and they may have seeded the subconscious of the Multiverse with the concept of Ghostbusters in the brief second they connected to all of reality via Gozer's portal. He added their observations of other dimensions lent more credibility to the theory but admitted it wasn't strictly 1 to 1. Ray noticed their Proton Pack was more compact in design, had a whole different configuration and even had a Faraday Cage - something he never thought of. As they walked back to the first floor, Ray requested the "usual samples" from them. Holtzmann didn't believe that line possibly worked.
Ray helmed Marine Ecto-8 for the trip to Ellis Island. After Patty Tolan realized Winston looked like a younger version of her Uncle Bill, Ray revealed they came across familiar people and faces during their investigations of other dimensions. He recalled there was one dimension they visited where someone who looked exactly like Peter blew up a golf course. Erin Gilbert started to panic and recognized Ray as the Cabbie she met during the Rowan North incident. Ray checked his P.K.E. Meter and declared they had arrived. Patty noticed a rip in the sky. Ray explained it was due to the overlap in dimensions. Jillian Holtzmann started dispersing Pirate Ghosts. Ray grabbed her right arm and told her to stop. He cited the First Law of Thermodynamics and informed her the P.K.E. would reform and at an even faster rate because of the presence of the tear. Holtzmann thought he was worrying too much. The energy reformed into a single powerful entity and attacked them. Erin got an idea to use an explosion and asked Ray to come back to Marine Ecto-8 with her. She explained her team once sealed a breach with a concentrated explosion and believed they could do the same with a Trap. Ray caught on and got out the Megatrap but he wasn't confident it had enough power to fully discoporate the entity. Erin agreed and grabbed the Proton Bazooka. Ray rigged the Megatrap to explode then towed it back to the bust on Ecto-4. He hailed Peter and Winston on comms and asked that they do their best to restrain the entity. Erin weakened the entity with the bazooka then Ray opened the Megatrap then swung it into the tear. The explosion successfully sealed the breach. However, Ray lost control of Ecto-4 and was forced to jump into a tree. Several of the surrounding building's caught on fire. After Holtzmann threw a fit about not getting to use the bazooka and not being told about a mini-helicopter, Ray got a call from Kevin Beckman. Beckman informed him he tagged everything so no one would confused about what belonged to whom. Janine took the phone away and informed Ray that Melanie was on her way from the west coast and Abby and Egon were out collecting data. Ray confirmed the threat was neutralized but asked Janine to call the Fire Department on the special line as soon as possible.
Ray took part in scanning the 101 pilot team for any trace of the ghost that attacked them. He was at a loss for words when Erin asked why the teleportation unit wasn't secured. Egon chimed in and said the security measures they used for the Containment Unit was incompatible and there were only so many hours in the day. Egon, Ray, and Kylie started to make progress and concluded the problem was three-fold. They had to sever the ghost's connection from the Ley Lines it was drawing power from, draw it fully into their dimension, and seal the breach behind it. Abby returned to the lab and suggested they re-purpose their Containment Unit. They all began working on a prototype dubbed the Ultimate Mobile Trap. Ray promised to personally rebuild their Containment Unit once everything was settled. Holtzmann returned with the others and freaked out. She asked Ray what the rest of the plan was. Holtzmann asked if they had enough of the slime to cover miles of Ley Lines. Ray recalled Coney Island and believed they had just enough.
Ray supervised a group of 101 Cadets at Washington Square Arch and instructed them to follow the maps and douse the marked streets with positively charged Psychomagnotheric Slime in an effort to neutralize Manhattan's Ley Lines so the Ghostbusters could capture a ghost causing the dimensions to overlap then restore things to normal. Ray was picked up by Peter and they joined some of the others at their standby positions above Times Square, as suggested by Kylie, in the likelihood they had to help "guide" the ghost into the Ultimate Mobile Trap. Winston hailed Ray on comms and double-checked they were in pack range. Ray was relatively sure and reminded everyone to keep an eye out for the ghost to manifest. Peter added to warn the other team to watch out for birds. Ray refused to relay that when the fate of the worlds were hanging in the balance. Winston sighed and confirmed he copied. The Ghostbusters opened fire on the ghost and completely pulled it through then ran for it as it struck at them. The ghost was soon trapped but the breach it came through remained open.
Winston asked Ray if he had another helicopter in his pocket or a jet hidden under the street. Ray admitted zoning got in his way in terms of the latter. Erin suggested they cross the streams to seal the breach and catalyze the separation of dimensions on the molecular level. Ray objected and stated it was a terrible idea. Egon agreed but there was little other choice. The Ghostbusters crossed the streams and succeeded but got close to a full protonic reversal. Two weeks later, Ray visited the other dimension to rebuild the Containment Unit as promised. Peter tagged along. He got it online soon enough and revealed he added a few tweaks. Holtzmann suggested he make them a teleportation unit next. She realized the schematics were in her head as well as Ray's memory of kissing a ghost. Ray informed her Egon thought there would be residual memories then asked about her doctorate. Holtzmann asked him to pretend they never talked about it. Ray Stantz came to the aid of a businesswoman accosted by a H2 Ghost on Lexington Avenue. He blasted both the woman and ghost with positively charged Psychomagnotheric Slime from his Slime Blower to prevent a forced possession. The ghost attempted to fly away but it was wrangled Peter and trapped by Winston. The woman tried to buy slime but Ray turned her down. Back at Ecto-1, Winston admitted he was burnt out from the extra workload. Ray agreed and wished for another big adventure like when they were manipulated by Loftur. Peter stated he needed professional help and offered his services with a discount. Ray passed. As they drove to Murray Hill for the next call, Ray reminded them again how uncoupling the two dimensions allowed some ghosts to pop through to their plane and cause a busier than usual period. Despite Peter's warning, Winston wondered aloud if the insulation between dimensions was Purgatory. Ray got wound up and got excited at the prospect of finding out. Much later in the day, Ray and Egon attempted to recalibrate the sensor array set-up on the Dimensional Inverter. Ray asked for the needle nose pliers and sarcastically commented finding a working security measure for the Interspatial Teleportation Unit was easier. Egon felt the level of difficulty was comparable. As soon as Ray finished, the Inverter sensed an extra-dimensional incursion and the alarm sounded. They were surprised to see Donatello cross over. Donatello quickly explained he and his brothers were attacked by strange entities. Ray was surprised Donatello memorized their specific dimensional coordinates to which Egon admitted they kept in touch. Donatello's description reminded Ray of something familiar. The strange entities, The Collectors, crossed over and grabbed Donatello. Without thinking, Ray grabbed a thrower and fired at them to no avail. They warned the Ghostbusters not to interfere or they would be taken, too.
Winston and Peter were called up for a meeting to figure out the next course of action. Despite the individuals involved, Ray found it practically absurd someone sent the Collectors after the Turtles. Peter blamed it all on Ray for wanting another adventure. He soon hinted he already had an idea of what needed to be done. Over the next three weeks, Egon and Ray invented Remote Portal Access Bands and modified two Experimental Mental Communications Devices. Ray, Peter, and Winston suited up and headed through the Interspatial Teleportation Unit's portal to the Collectors' Limbo and reunited with the Turtles. Ray instructed Donatello to put on the second Mental Communications Device then go through the portal where Egon would fill him in then told the others to hold off in following. In order to slow down the Collectors and buy time, each Ghostbuster paired up with a Turtle and went on their on track making random hops to various dimensions. Ray and Raphael paired up. Ray activated his band. They emerged from the portal in a new dimension near a cave.
Ray and Raphael soon found themselves on the run from a free-standing albino ape. Raphael yelled at Ray to activate the Remote Portal Access Band. Ray stated they still had to wait for it to recharge. It completed just in time and they jumped into a portal. After crossing more dimensions, Ray and Raphael landed in a snowy forest setting after fighting a monster. They took another pause in order for the Access Band to recharge again. Raphael got a bad feeling about their surroundings and had Ray check his P.K.E. Meter. Ray overreacted and speculated his senses were so amazingly well-tuned to his surroundings that he could self-detect changes in the psychokinetic spectrum. Raphael threatened to punch him if he was about to ask for a brain sample. A flock of ghosts manifested, having been attracted to the access band's open portal. Ray used a higher setting on his Particle Thrower to atomize the ghosts rather than lug around Traps. He estimated they would reform in a few days and noted they were in the middle of nowhere anyway. Raphael didn't care. One flew into the back of Raphael's head and slimed him. Ray kept talking about the side-effects of their portal technology while he wrung out his bandana. After finishing clearing out the ghosts, Ray noticed Raphael was the type to wear his heart on his sleeve. Realizing a similarity, he told Raphael an anecdote about his nephew and Peter. An invisible Gjenganger picked up Ray and shoved him into a tree. Ray instructed Raphael to jump up and reach for his thrower. Raphael got the Proton Pack on then demanded the ghost to show himself and stated he wasn't in the mood for games. The Gjeganger didn't care, revealed himself, and knocked Raphael out.
Ray and Raphael's bodies were possessed by two Gjenganger and they underwent a forced out-of-body experience. Their consciousnesses levitated nearby. Ray observed the Gjenganger and determined they stumbled upon an afterlife and their bodies were hijacked so the Gjenganger could experience the sensation of physical combat again. Eventually, Raphael regained lucidity and asked what was going on. Ray got an idea and believed a show of bravado would get the ghosts to abandon their bodies since they were Vikings. Ray got the Gjenganger's attention. He apologized for intruding on this dimension but asked, in the usual long winded manner, for the bodies back. The Gjenganger laughed. Raphael opted for a direct approach and rushed their bodies but he bounced off a shield. Ray instructed Ray to push all the fight he had into the forefront of his conscious mind and use it like a battering ram. Together, they forced a Gjenganger named Nils out of Ray's body and occupied it. Ray became distracted by Raphael's memories and feelings of loneliness. The other possessor swung his axe. Luckily, Raphael noticed and raised their shield. Raphael refused to let Ray shoot his body to liberate it and took control. He hoped Ray's joints weren't as old as he looked.
Raphael was confident since the Gjenganger had no sense of misdirection but his body was too tough to beat with Ray's. He asked Ray if he ate anything besides junk food. Ray pointed out he ate pizza. Raphael countered he worked out at least. He got mad and complained he was going to be stuck in Ray's body forever. Ray told him he was so negative then got an idea. He instructed Raphael to use the Slime Spritzer on the right hand side of his belt and spray both his and Raphael's body at the same time. Ray gambled the slime would interact with Raphael the same way it would with a possessor since he was so angry. The Gjenganger was ejected from Raphael's body and Raphael was ejected from Ray's body back into his own. Raphael wondered how that worked but the Gjengagner swarmed them. The Remote Portal Access Band was charged and Ray opened a portal. They jumped through in time and none were able to follow them to the Garden Dimension. Raphael demanded an explanation. Ray shared his theory then noted how sore his body was. Raphael recommended yoga then admitted he grew up alone and still had a lot of issues about that. He noticed he felt lighter and if it was because a piece of Ray came with him he was grateful. Before he could thank Ray, Michelangelo came through another portal and crashed into him. Raphael got angry again and yelled at him to get off. Soon the three pairs were reunited. Donatello came through with his Proton Weapon ready. Ray assumed there was an equipment malfunction that sent them to same place. Tang Shen spoke up and revealed it was her doing.
Winston informed Ray about the neural confusion caused by the Communications Device but Ray only found it neat. He was almost totally sure Winston would be fine. Ray was more interested in Tang Shen and attempted to scan her with his P.K.E. Meter but Winston swatted it away. Peter chimed in and scolded Ray about the blatant data chasing. Tang Shen turned her attention to the Ghostbusters and was to thank them but Ray interrupted and speculated her spectral senses may have misinterpreted a connection formed by the Experimental Mental Communications Device then tried to explain it. He stopped talking after Tang Shen gave him a look. Peter was amused and offered her the job full-time. She continued on and later thanked the Ghostbusters for being loyal friends and worthy examples of character to her children when they needed it the most. Peter told her she was welcome and complimented her "whole Mikado thing" but got a look from her, too. Ray teased Peter back. After Tang Shen warned them the enemy was closing in then disappeared, Peter opened a breach back to the Firehouse with his access band. Egon and Ray fine-tuned the Trap-Gate to the Collectors' unique P.K.E. signature while the Turtles, Peter, and Winston fought them. It was a success and they were transported into the Containment Unit. Ray reassured Raphael they couldn't escape.
The Ghostbusters were called to investigate City Water Tunnel No. 3. Based on Murdock the Miner's account of opening a box from a side cavern, Egon didn't think they were dealing with a typical ghost of an accident like Ray suggested. The strong readings confirmed as much. They headed into the cavern and found the box. Egon got an extraordinarily high P.K.E. signature off of it and wanted to run tests and find out where it came from. Peter pointed to an entity hovering above them. Ray attempted to communicate but it simply warned him against giving away his name so freely then disappeared. They were slimed by a swarm of Bat Spectral Constructs. Egon noticed the readings dropped but advised the miners to wait at least a day to resume work and promised to have a P.K.E. alarm installed for their safety. He believed the entity's Irish accent, unique appearance, and the box were enough clues to start researching. Jenny started research on the entity. She pointed out to Ray that he could have showered at home. Ray contended the Firehouse had better water pressure. Going on the fact the ghost had a head shaped like a pumpkin and an Irish accent, Jenny focused on a ghost that manifested during the festival of Samhain. Once Ray came out of the shower, she presented a page from "A Book of Pagan Rituals" to him that had an old drawing that resembled the ghost. She felt his head looked more like a turnip. Ray consulted "The Old Book of Magic" and learned the ghost wasn't seen in centuries and was believed to have been banished by a druid that learned its real name. Ray remembered the druids didn't have a tradition of writing so the ghost's real name was lost and hoped their modern arsenal was comparable. Jenny warned him to be careful.
Ron interrupted them and suggested putting her into the Containment Unit for safekeeping. Jenny was surprised and asked why he was paying them a visit. Ron joked about her going easy with the cold shoulder because it was bringing down the room temperature and it was bad for the skin then pointed out Ray wasn't wearing any pants and only had a towel on. Jenny became angry and red and went through the wall and cabinets. Ray stated she was still sensitive about her condition then asked why he came. He pointed out Ron wasn't due for another week for proton equipment recertification. Ron insisted he had a life and coming a week early was the most convenient for him. Ray reminded him it was a condition of his pardon and he didn't have a say in it. The alarm sounded off. Since Peter and Winston weren't answering, Ron came along as the fourth with Ray, Egon, and Kylie. Ray joked his presence may also be a curse and Egon was going to look into it. Ron just wanted to get the bust over with, get his paperwork, and leave. He added he wanted to get a look at the schematics for the teleportation unit. Egon refused on the grounds the Chicago branch had no need for a dimensional portal since they took no part in research, which was what it was almost exclusively used for. Ron claimed he did research. Ray pinched his cheeks and mocked him for thinking what he did was research. Ron called bull and believed they just didn't want to share.
After they arrived at Grand Central Station, Egon stated they explore alternate realities to answer the questions they never knew they had, the kind of research they got into parapsychology for. Ray added they didn't want to share with Ron. Ron vowed the conversation wasn't over. Kylie initiated PCOC and they city's evacuation protocol, Code Dan, and cleared the station. Connla recognized Egon and Ray from a previous encounter in City Tunnel No. 3. He dodged Kylie's proton stream and asked them if they were druids. Ray denied it and referred him as "Sammy" since it was believed he was an entity that manifested during Samhain. Ron called him out for mispronouncing the name and pointed out Halloween was still weeks away. Connla confirmed it wasn't his usual time to manifest but the veil to the other side was so thin, he couldn't resist the opportunity to widen it permanently. Then he punched Ron. Ray reckoned he couldn't be that bad. Egon agreed then threw a Proton Grenade. The explosion blew off Connla's head and the ectoplasm splashed onto Ron, to his chagrin. Ray clarified he was joking and punching Ron wasn't a metric for goodness. Egon argued it was one for basic sentience. Kylie captured Connla in a stream then Ron trapped him. Connla was insulted from being attacked from behind then entrapped. He escaped the Trap in an enraged state and grabbed Kylie by the throat. He pointed out they tried to trap him without even knowing his real name. Connla's head reformed then it, his eyes, and ribs ignited. Kylie noticed a ring on his right middle finger. With little other choice, Ron dispersed Connla with an atomizing stream. Kylie was enraged and pointed out he was going to reconstitute in a few days, having absorbed a ton of ambient psychokinetic energy in the process. Egon suggested they make the most of the time Ron bought them by coming up with a permanent solution. Ray asked who was going to call Peck about the mess. They noticed ectoplasm was now all over the station. Kylie quickly excused herself from contention with a "not it."
As a result of being in direct contact during the dispersal, a latent mental link was forged. In the few days before Connla's reconstitution, Kylie had a precognitive dream about her and the four original Ghostbusters encountering Connla's Army. She awoke and went to the Firehouse to share details of the dream with the others. She realized something and ran off to double check her theory. After a few subway stops, Kylie returned to Ray's Occult and confirmed her theory the ghost was Connla. He had a real sticking point with his name, was quick to fight, and wore a ring. She called up Ray's cell phone and informed him of the good news. Ray, Winston, and Ron had just finished up a bust. Ray was validated that section at the store would come in handy and told Kylie they estimated Connla would return no later than midnight Wednesday. But he didn't have all the factors and the ghost returned earlier on Friday. As Connla was trapped, he ordered his army to destroy the Ghostbusters then free him. More and more ghosts manifested. Lacking enough Traps, Kylie regretted sending Egon's friend away in his helicopter. Egon assured her it was fine and used his access band to teleport away. Ron was infuriated and thought he ran away. Ray ordered everyone to keep the ghosts at bay until Egon returned. Egon returned soon after and opened six portals. Proton Streams shot out at the ghosts and teams of Ghostbusters from different dimensions emerged. The rest of the Chicago Ghostbusters, the Real Ghostbusters of Dimension 68-R, the Extreme Ghostbusters of Dimension 68-E, the Ghostbusters of Dimension 50-S, the Ghostbusters of Dimension 80-C, and Mike the Golem joined the fight. Egon of 68-R, Roland Jackson of 68-E, and Abby of 80-C checked their respective P.K.E. Meters and confirmed all the ghosts were captured.
Ray was excited and a little nervous to finally conduct an experiment aimed at observing the interior of the Containment Unit. He hoped it tapped into a pocket dimension like the unit of their counterparts in Dimension 68-R, the Real Ghostbusters. He felt they could learn so much from observing the entities roaming around inside the unit. Egon turned a valve and insisted they still needed to be very careful. He didn't care to speculate how many days they were without incident. Ray emphasized it was a lot and stipulated as long as there was no direct connection to the Containment Unit when they fired up the dimensional portal, everything would stay perfectly copacetic. Ray left the interdimensional transport array on since it was running a diagnostic to sync up the monitoring equipment. He felt it was okay as long as no one activated the portal and Containment Unit at the same time. Ray left a note just to be safe then they left to eat. Ray was thinking of orange duck. Peter later tried to deposit the captured Phyllis Hasskamp but unbeknownst to him and the others, Ron and Holtzmann built their own Remote Access Teleportation Unit that piggybacked off the original teleportation unit in the basement and tested it. Before Peter could turn it off, the basement was enveloped in a white flash.
Ron and Holtzmann were reprimanded, for their part in the explosion, by Egon, Ray, and Winston on the third floor. Ray admitted he understood their drive but they stole and reverse-engineered the technology then failed to check if their experiment would be compromised by any number of outside factors. Ron tried to claim he was forced to make matters into his own hands because Ray and Egon were never going to share the dimensional technology and pinned the blame on them. They went down to the basement. Ray pointed out how the improbable timing of the teleportation unit diagnostic, the remotely accessed portal, and Peter depositing a Trap led to an overload. He only found a blown capacitor but Egon discovered several major entities were missing and thus, the structural integrity was compromised. Gareth Dibello was suddenly released. He took control of a Proton Pack and fired at Holtzmann while the others took cover. The teleportation unit activated and several miniature portals were generated. Dibello flew through one with Holtzmann but she got stuck halfway. Egon and Ray pulled Holtzmann back into the basement, with part of Dibello's arm, just in time before the portal closed. Egon looked at the logs and realized all the missing entities used similar portals to go to other dimensions. Ray came to the same conclusion. Once Peter regained consciousness in the hospital, he quoted the Wizard of Oz, prompting Ray to ask if he was the Scarecrow. To contain the situation, Ray and Egon moved the teleportation unit to the Warehouse. Two days later, teams of Ghostbusters, from both the prime dimension and beyond, gathered at the Warehouse.
Ray was about to go over the equipment but Gabriel Sitter spoke up. Samuel Hazer asked why they didn't just use the teleportation unit to go back in time and prevent the entire incident from happening. Ray tried to explain it wasn't a time machine but Kylie Griffin and Eduardo Rivera, of the Extreme Ghostbusters, pointed out they were trained by Egon Spengler, an older version of the Egon from The Real Ghostbusters, who was perplexed. Roland Jackson believed that was proof of an element of time travel. Alan Crendall pointed out his team was from the prime team's future and didn't get why the Ray he knew didn't warn them beforehand. Janine heard enough and whistled. She yelled at everyone to listen, shut up, and pay attention. Egon reiterated the teleportation unit could not time travel but time was a dimension they could access in so far as they went to parallel realities that could be further ahead or further behind what they knew as the present but no action they took had an effect on their timeline. Ray summarized none of them were from even remotely the same timelines and time travel wouldn't solve their problem. Before Ray could continue, Melanie triggered the alarm. She was alerted about a P.K.E. spike at the George Washington Bridge and took Winston, Holtzmann, Rookie, Lou, and Dani.
A field team consisting of Ray, Samuel Hazer of Dimension 50-S, Peter Venkman of Dimension 68-R, Kylie Griffin of Dimension 68-E, Erin Gilbert of Dimension 80-C, and Kylie Griffin arrived in Dimension 00-D. Kylie noticed they were in a rather gloomy forest. Samuel thought the Kylies would feel right at home. They didn't and messed with him. Ray asked them to stop, pointing out they had a lot to do in a short amount of time. Erin asked if anyone was going to freak out about the team being shuffled around. Ray stated they were all highly intelligent people and it was obvious some molecules got crossed then admitted it was bound to happen sooner or later but asserted they were fine. Erin wasn't placated and soon asked if they had any indication of what they were after, recalling her team was assigned to a mid-level Class 3. Samuel was excited about what it could be and proposed a betting pool. Kylie informed Ray that's what he sounded like all the time. Ray denied he would ever start a pool. Erin noticed the sound of hoofbeats. The Headless Horseman arrived, grabbed Peter 68-R by the hair, and rode off. Ray recalled his team captured it four or five years prior outside of Tarrytown. Kylie suggested they save Peter 68-R first before he continued with the story. The others ran after them. After following glowing hoof prints for half an hour, the Ghostbusters found a broken Trap-Gate. Ray declared they must have passed through but he was oblivious to Kylie 68-E's sarcastic comment and confirmed he was a Boy Scout. Peter 68-R, possessed by the Horseman, charged towards them. Kylie recalled from Tobin's Spirit Guide that the longer the Horseman was in possession of his victim, the more the host's soul would be eaten away at. Ray apologized to Peter 68-R in advance then directed everyone to switch to low-power streams and blast him in an alternating burst pattern. Possessed Peter 68-R was knocked off the horse.
They surrounded the Horseman but it attacked with its pumpkin constructs. Erin kicked herself for not bringing the De-Possessor. Ray recalled he wanted to check that out since Holtzmann couldn't tell him how it was calibrated not to harm the body's native spirit. Kylie got him back on track to the task at hand. Ray asked Erin to widen her Proton Stream then he threw his vial of Psychomagnotheric Slime at it. The "skin" of the horse began to dissolve after the slime made contact and the Horseman was bucked. Samuel called out to Peter 68-R. The Horseman was still in control and leaped at him but found itself paralyzed in mid-air. The Ghostbusters Beyond of 00-D, namely a splinter of the divine half of Rachel Unglighter and Louis Tully of Dimension 00-D had intervened. Rachel concentrated and used her magic to safely draw out the Horseman out of Peter 68-R and into a Trap Orb. Ray was naturally shocked to see Rachel. She remarked that was a name she hadn't heard in quite some time. Louis chuckled. Rachel was annoyed he thought she was making a Star Wars reference. Rachel concentrated and used her magic to safely draw out the Horseman out of Peter 68-R and into a Trap Orb. Ray thanked Rachel but assumed she was that dimension's doppelganger but she in fact confirmed she was a splinter from the divine half of the Rachel he knew in the prime dimension years ago. She never encountered the 00-D version Ray yet either. The Ghostbusters tried to persuade them to hand over the Horseman but Louis insisted a trapped ghost stayed trapped. Erin listed off everything that happened to them. Rachel read Ray's memories and realized how bad the situation was. She became weak from the ordeal and Louis held her up. She told Louis to give them the Horseman as soon as they had their Trap-Gate ready. She then warned Ray she sensed her family's magic had a hand in what was happening to them. As a precaution should they encounter any of her relatives, she gave Ray a Trap Orb and warned him there was always a price to pay for dealing with gods.
The field teams were whisked away by Tiamat to the Collectors' Limbo. Rather than serve her, they fought back. Kylie signaled Ray to use the Trap Orb but he recalled the price to using it. She contended Rachel said there was a price to dealing with gods and that ship had already sailed. Kylie added they failed to stop Tiamat last time by crossing a dozen Proton Streams on her. Ray couldn't argue with that and hurled the orb at Tiamat. Tiamat was at a loss for words and was caught in the explosion. Winston came up with an ad hoc plan to utilize the remaining Trap-Gates to strip Tiamat's P.K.E. and send it to random dimensions then trap her. Janine was one of the seven to use a Trap-Gate on her. Peter, Egon, and Ray invited Winston to be the one to trap her. She cursed them all as she was pulled in.
As the field teams returned to the prime dimension, Peter emerged from the portal first and declared the conquering heroes had returned. He noticed Egon 68-E was wearing their merchandise and hoped he already paid for it. Ray asked how long they were gone. Egon 68-E told him it was about six days since their last communication. Ray was satisfied and declared they pulled off a miracle. Kevin Beckman answered the phone and handed it off to Ray. Despite the ghosts recaptured and the ghosts captured by the fill-in teams, the Containment Unit was still on the verge of total meltdown. She asked him if there were any filled Traps laying around. Ray checked the remote monitor and it showed the Containment Unit was back to where it needed to be. Ray couldn't make sense of the situation and wanted her to wait until he got back to the Firehouse. She estimated one more ghost was needed and the unit was about to blow up. With no other choice and no time left, Jenny told him they would meet again one way or another. Ray pleaded with her not to do it and suggested using Slimer. Jenny sacrificed herself and went into the unit to stabilize it. Ray lost Jenny at 5:31 pm. He remembered Tiamat's final threat cursing them and Rachel's warning there was always a price for dealing with gods. Winston told him it was going to be okay and asked him if they could fix it. Overcome with anger, Ray shot the teleportation unit. Holtzmann objected but Peter asked if she heard what just happened then reckoned Egon could fix it in a couple of hours. Egon claimed less. Holtzmann rescinded her panic then reminded Ray about the Containment TV Monitor he and Egon were working on.
After a day's worth of work, Egon, Ray, Egon 68-R, and Holtzmann of 80-C finished work on the Containment TV Monitor. Once the grid was stable and the monitor was ready, it was turned on. It worked and Ray inputted Jenny's P.K.E. signature. Jenny was found but a Mail Fraud Ghost charged her. Ray was aghast but Holtzmann told him to slow down. Jenny punched out the ghost. Holtzmann declared they were locked in there with her. Ray was relieved and hugged everyone at once. Ray vowed to make sure Jenny's promise they would see each other again would come true. Before Holtzmann left, Egon asked for her thoughts on a new application to old research of his. Holtzmann read his strip of paper but it made no sense. Ray inquired what that was. In reality, it was Egon's subliminal messaging code. He reworked it to interrupt any memory of the transdimensional technology. Ray asked if there were any side effects. Holtzmann was confused why the Chicken Dance was suddenly stuck in her head. Egon didn't think there were any side effects as far as he knew and planned to show it to Ron next. Ray was satisfied and added they should limit their dimensional travel for the time being. He didn't think he could handle anymore change for awhile.
On November 13, Ray went to Portland, Maine with Melanie and Peter in response to a mass trance initiated by Saint Pippy. Ray never heard of Pippy and consulted with Kylie over the phone. She could find no mention of the entity in the Ghostbusters' collection of research. This excited Ray even more. After about an hour from its manifestation, Saint Pippy was thoroughly amused and disappeared. Ray went to work on a paper on the event once he finished analyzing Pippy's P.K.E. readings.
One morning, Peter and Ray went to the Metropolitan Museum of Art and served a court order to a recently hired appraiser named Dr. Abner Polk telling him to grant them custody of a tablet relic from a shipment that arrived from the Mediterranean. Polk didn't understand what was going on nor the terminology in the court order. Ray informed him he had a potentially powerful psychokinetically charged artifact on the premises. They went into another room. Ray followed the P.KE. Meter's readings and saw the tablet. He confirmed it was what they were looking for. Polk insisted they couldn't have it and it wasn't even documented yet. Ray tried to explain what was going on, they had to make sure there wasn't any god-like being planning on using the tablet to as a gateway to their plane of existence. Peter warned Polk that Ray was only going to talk faster and he didn't need that. Two days later, Ray and Egon hit a dead-end in trying to identify it. There was no mention it in Tobin's Spirit Guide, Spates Catalog, or any of the dozen books they amassed for research. Ray reminded him they were dealing with a time bomb. They couldn't make out the etchings on the tablet either, initially thinking they were Greek. Peter carried in more books that just arrived then tipped Egon's water bottle by mistake. The water oddly flowed in a circle around the tablet. An Atlantean Priest Ghost manifested and spoke in an unknown language. Ray guessed it was Italian. Egon had no idea. The ghost suddenly possessed Egon and asked what happened with the cataclysm of Atlas' Land. Peter deferred to Ray. The ghost decided to see for himself and flew through the window into the city.
Peter was undaunted. Ray went on his knees and looked a book. Peter thought the more urgent concern was to track the ghost. Ray told him that would be easy and he was processing what the ghost said. He was referring to Atlantis. Ray filtered out the signal of the ghost and tracked it to Penn Station. Ray couldn't believe Peter pulled a fire alarm to clear the station. Peter assumed there would be a fire soon anyway. Ray led them downstairs to the tracks, where electrical interference caused a power outage. They sighted Egon, in a transmogrified state. Ray addressed the ghost and warned it to leave Egon's body or face swift and terrible consequences. The ghost ignored him and bemoaned how the world was not better since the fall of Atlantis. He noted how men still lived hungry on the streets, the laws were not respected, and even the very air burned in one's chest. He revealed that was exactly why priests begged Ennosigaios for help. Ray explained it was another name for Poseidon. Ray fired his Slime Blower and doused Egon's body with positively charged Psychomagnotheric Slime. The ghost was ejected from Egon. In his native language, he called them fools and declared the "Earth-Shaker" would come again and seal the fate of Manhattan. Egon understood the context of his threat. Peter tried to make himself feel better and asked if Poseidon was real. Ray pointed out Gozer was real.
They trapped the ghost at Battery Park. Ray picked up the tablet and confirmed the negative P.K.E. readings were almost completely discharged in the manifestation of the ghost and with it trapped, the tablet was a completely average artifact. He failed to see a column of water rise up behind him. Ray continued on thinking a deeper study of it would allow them to locate the remains of Atlantis and turn history on its head. Egon tried to stop him. Ray kept talking. They yelled at him. Ray wondered why it got cloudy all of a sudden and turned his head. Poseidon stood behind the column. He reached forward with an open hand. Winston deduced he wanted the tablet. Ray wasn't so sure. Peter asked him if he thought Poseidon wanted a tip and ordered him to throw the tablet. Ray was confident they could figure out a way to get rid of Poseidon. The ground rumbled. Egon pointed out Poseidon was also the god of earthquakes and he was clearly sending them a warning. Ray still insisted. Egon yelled his name. Ray sighed and threw the tablet to Poseidon. He caught it and vanished. The column of water and fish washed over them. Peter conceded they may have lost a chance at a bonus but he thought Egon and Ray could make some money from writing a book on Atlantis using pictures of the tablet. Ray admitted everything happened so fast, he forgot to document anything.
Ghostbusters: Sanctum of Slime
A few weeks after another increase in supernatural activity, Ray suggested to the team that it was time to hire some rookies again, much to Peter's dismay. Three weeks later, Ray returned to the Firehouse with takeout and went over Egon's latest analysis. With a predictable migratory progression at hand, Ray agreed with Egon's suggestion and asked Janine to summon the rookies for their first solo mission.
The Sanctum of Slime Ghostbusters were gone over a week while they were aiding the Ghostbusters of the prime dimension with recapturing entities that escaped their Containment Unit. Upon returning to their home dimension, they asked for time off. Peter was aghast. Alan explained they just got through chasing ghosts in other dimensions, fighting Tiamat in the Collectors' Limbo, and saving the multiverse. Gabriel felt they deserved a day off. Peter wasn't impressed and reminded them his team also saved the multiverse before. Ray added they did so at least a dozen times. Peter recalled they also got paid for it each time. He assigned them to a new case.
After the fall of Gozer, Ray and the other Ghostbusters fixed up the Firehouse after it was severely damaged by the escaping ghosts, thanks to Walter Peck. Upon the completion of the Firehouse, the Ghostbusters adopted the green ghost who Ray named as Slimer, which was named after the first movie scene with Peter and Slimer in the hall. Ray is seen as the most childlike of the Ghostbusters in the cartoon series as he loves cartoons, toys, and over reacts to a new case with enthusiasm.
The following is part of the animated canon universe for this character:
- NOW Comics "The Real Ghostbusters"
- NOW Comics "The Real Ghostbusters starring in Ghostbusters II"
- NOW Comics "Slimer! and Marvel Comics Ltd Reissues
- Marvel Comics Ltd "The Real Ghostbusters"
- The Real Ghostbusters Magazine series
- IDW Comics "Mars Attacks The Real Ghostbusters" one-off
- IDW Comics "The Real Ghostbusters" back up story (four part series)
- Data East's "The Real Ghostbusters" video game
To read more about the Animated counterpart character, please check out "Ray Stantz "Animated".
- Ray was portrayed by Dan Aykroyd, who is admittedly interested in the paranormal and occult, which may explain why Ray seemed to be the most motivated of the Ghostbusters..."busting heads-in a spiritual sense," of course.
- Harold Ramis noted how Ray Stantz and Dan Aykroyd were both 'honest, straight-ahead, enthusiastic'.
- Dan Aykroyd helped to design the proton pack, trap, and other "busting tools."
- Even though Ray seemed skeptical about the existence of God, he DID seem to have a working familiarity with Biblical folklore. And even described (with Venkman) to Mayor Lenny that NYC's takeover had Biblical, "wrath-of-God" proportions. In the video game, his description of black slime implies he believes in the concept of a soul.
- In the video game, he mentions playing a game called Ghosts and Gargoyles while he was in a seminary, establishing the fact he was religious at one time.
- In the novelization, it was revealed Ray was raised on Long Island by his doctor father and housewife mother. Ray's relatives were listed as a bisexual sister with a daughter, and a macho brother with two boys in the Boy Scouts.
- In the novelization, Ray has an older brother named Carl. He was an Air Force officer in the Middle East, is married, is Republican, has two sons and both are in the Boy Scouts, is an alcoholic, and is a Sustaining Member of the National Rifle Association.Carl hates Communism, Homosexuality, and Parapsychology. And Dr. Venkman. The feeling is mutual. Carl's family flew from South Carolina.
- In the novelization, Ray has a younger sister named Jean. She is a journalist in San Francisco, California, is divorced, is a Democrat, has a daughter who attends ballet school, and is a feminist with two lovers of both genders. Jean's first husband is a classic scholar and part-time beet farmer.
- In the novelization, Ray's father willed him the house not because he felt Ray was more worthy, but that after Peter had come with him to a family dinner once and seduced Ray's sister, he figured Ray was going to need all the help he could get. They met three years ago from the library case, at a Stantz family reunion held at the ancestral home in Islip, a small town in Long Island.
- Also in the novelization, 18 months after the Stantz reunion, a 727 carrying Ray's parents goes down on flight to Puerto Rico. Egon kept insisting to Ray that they might still be alive in the Bermuda Triangle, until Ray finally punched him.
- The "dream sequence" where Ray is seduced by a lovely female ghost was actually originally filmed as an actual mission, as explained by Ivan Reitman and Harold Ramis in the commentary on the Ghostbusters Special Edition DVD. Ray and Winston were sent out to Fort Detmerring. On a lark, Ray had decided to try on a Napoleonic era uniform and was asleep on a replica bed when she appears. This scene was later re-edited into the movie as a dream. A picture of Ray and Winston exiting Ecto-1 in front of the fort can be found in a storybook based on the film, although it wasn't referred to in the story anywhere. In real life, Aykroyd was filmed driving the hearse off of private premises, before authorities arrived on scene.
- Possibly for being the most open-minded of the group, his body and will were possessed by Vigo the Carpathian.
- In the Ghostbusters II August 5, 1988 draft, Ray refused to help Peter at first.
- In the Ghostbusters II August 5, 1988 draft, Ray lost everything after the events of the first movie. He rebuilt his life with Ray's Occult Books.  
- In the Ghostbusters II August 5, 1988 draft, it is Ray who uses the jackhammer to make a very big hole.
- In the Ghostbusters II August 5, 1988 draft, it is Ray who traps the Scoleri Brothers.
- In the August 5, 1988 and February 27, 1989 versions of the Ghostbusters II script, during the set up to the final battle and the epilogue scene respectively, Ray reveals his great-grandparents were Swiss. 
- Aykroyd made a cameo appearance as Ray Stantz with mustache in the 1995 live-action Casper film. He was defeated by Casper's uncles and ran for his life. This cowardly portrayal angered a number of fans and is generally not considered canonical. However, Ray went alone during the exploit, which breaks one of the rules "never go solo," which could be an explanation as to why he ran.
- Ray's favorite foods seem to be Chinese, Greek, and Chicago-style pizza. He finds Thai food too spicy.
- In Ghostbusters: The Video Game (Realistic Versions), one of the messages left on the recorder at the Firehouse after the Checking Out the Library Level level, is for Ray from the New York City Public Library. He has several overdue books and owes a fine of $417.42.
- Ray's character design in The Real Ghostbusters differs the most from his live action counterpart. His animated version is more chubby and roundfaced than his live action counterpart.
- In Ghostbusters: Infestation it is revealed Ray previously made a set of calculations that almost sank Coney Island. He also quotes his grandmother. In the second issue, he admits he built the Ghost Gun because he thought it'd be cool when Peter inquires.
- In Ghostbusters Volume 2 Issue #14, Ray claims to have seen a car coast uphill by supernatural means. He refers to the event as "Belo Horizonte" Peter insists the car stayed on the road the whole time.
- Ray gave Tiyah Zeddemore a Ghost Taser for one of her birthdays.
- On his Ghostbusters: The Board Game character card, Ray's employee ID # is listed as 111 73 1014.
- In Ghostbusters International #2, on page 5, Jenny and Ray wore outfits that Monica McNeil and Clifford Skridlow respectively wore in the 1983 movie "Doctor Detroit."
- McNeil was portrayed by Donna Dixon whom Jenny is visually based on
- Skridlow was portrayed by Dan Aykroyd
- Ray wrote the introduction of Insight Editions' Tobin's Spirit Guide on page 4 to 5.
- The wraparound jacket band on the red hardcover and credit on the front of the green softcover of Insight Editions' Tobin's Spirit Guide misspells Ray's last name as "Stanz".
- Egon and Ray were once convinced the Eiffel Tower was engineered to be some kind of primitive Containment Unit.
- In Ghostbusters International #6, page 8, while in Cayey, Puerto Rico, Egon admitted Ray had a better grasp of the local lore in that part of the world.
- Ray spent a month researching Sluagh but barely scratched the surface.
- Ray invented a Psychokinetic Defibrillator, worn like a glove, with the specific function of safely exorcising possessors from their human host.
- On page 20 of Ghostbusters International #9, Ray's outfit is based on an outfit Dan Aykroyd wore on the set of first movie.
- On page 3 of Ghostbusters: Funko Universe, Ray wears his civies from Ray's Occult Books in Ghostbusters II.
- In panel 3, Ray has a Ghostbusters Mug from Ghostbusters II.
- On page 18 of Ghostbusters 101 #5, Ray's blue shirt and khaki slacks civies appears to be based on the civies he wears in Chapter 7 and Chapter 9 of the first movie but the collar is colored blue instead.
- On page 23 of Ghostbusters 101 #5, it is mentioned Egon and Ray have started working on a condensed version of Tobin's Spirit Guide updated with specific information from the Ghostbusters' cases to attract mainstream audiences. Ray promises copies to participants of Ghostbusters 101. This a nod to Tobin's Spirit Guide (Insight Editions). 
- Ray appears on Cover B and C of Ghostbusters 101 #6.
- On page 16 of Ghostbusters 101 #6, Ray partially quotes one of King Henry's lines in Act III of "Henry V", "Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more."
- On page 18 of Ghostbusters 101 #6:
- The third image is from Volume 2 Issue #17, page 16 panel 3, during the Hart Island battle against Vigo. Abby appears in place of Ray just before he entered another trance state.
- The fourth image is from the 2016 movie, Chapter 6, when Abby and Patty dragged Erin from the Seward Street Subway Station tracks while she had the Electrocuted Ghost confined by the Proton Box thrower. Ray appears in place of Erin.
- The fifth image is from Ghostbusters II, Chapter 8 "Down the Shaft", when Ray is first lowered above the River of Slime. Patty appears in place of Ray.
- The eighth image is from Ghostbusters II, Chapter 24 "A Harbor Chick", when the team looks out from the head of the Statue of Liberty. Holtzmann, Patty, and Abby appear in place of Peter, Winston, and Ray.
- The ninth image is from the first movie, Chapter 27 "Stay Puft Man", when they shoot the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man. Abby appears in place of Ray.
- The tenth image is from Ghostbusters II, Chapter 28 "World is Safe Again", of the 'cleaned' Vigo portrait. Abby appears in place of Ray.
- On page 7 of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles/Ghostbusters Volume 2 Issue #1, Ray's civies are inspired by an outfit worn by Louis Winthrope III, a character portrayed by Dan Aykroyd in the movie "Trading Places", notably during a mug shot.
- On page 1 of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles/Ghostbusters Volume 2 Issue #2, Raphael and Ray are chased by a beast that resembles Mugato from the "Star Trek" episode "A Private Little War" but it was just a coincidence on Dan Shoening's part.
- On page 3 of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles/Ghostbusters Volume 2 Issue #2:
- In panel 2, Ray and Raphael encounter Smaug from the Middle Earth franchise. The art style is based on Frazetta.
- In panel 7, Raphael and Ray take on a version of Dracula from the video game Super Castlevania 4.
- On page 9 of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles/Ghostbusters Volume 2 Issue #2, Ray refers to his sister and nephew.
- On page 17 of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles/Ghostbusters Volume 2 Issue #2, Winston mentions Ray is addicted to watching Kung Fu Theater.
- On page 8 of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles/Ghostbusters Volume 2 Issue #4:
- Danny is chosen to talk to Michelangelo, mirroring when Ray was elected to talk to Gozer in the first Ghostbusters movie.
- Danny's speech mirrors Ray's speech to Gozer in the first movie, even Peter realizes this.
- On page 17 of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles/Ghostbusters Volume 2 Issue #5, Ray wears his Ray Bans sunglasses from the first montage of Ghostbusters II during the Orrefors case.
- On page 30 of Ghostbusters Annual 2018, Ron brings up Ray's bad math skills.
- On Cover B of Ghostbusters Crossing Over Issue #1, Ray pilots Ecto-4.
- On page 4 of Ghostbusters Crossing Over Issue #1, Egon notes Ray talks slower when he's nervous.
- Of page 18 of Ghostbusters Crossing Over Issue #2, Ray wears civies based on those worn by his counterpart in The Real Ghostbuters. He previously wore them in Volume 2 Issue #5.
- Of page 19 of Ghostbusters Crossing Over Issue #2, Ray refers to the Scarecrow character from Oz.
- Ray is mentioned in Jenny Moran's bio on the 20th Crossing Over Virtual Trading Card, released on April 26, 2018.
- Ray is mentioned in Samuel Hazer's bio on the 22nd Crossing Over Virtual Trading Card, released on May 3, 2018.
- Ray is mentioned in Peter Venkman's bio on the 26th Crossing Over Virtual Trading Card, released on May 17, 2018.
- Ray was mentioned in the 101 Cadets' bio in the 38th Crossing Over Virtual Trading Card, released on June 28, 2018.
- Ray was mentioned in Kylie Griffin's bio on the 39th Crossing Over Virtual Trading Card, posted on July 3, 2018.
- Ray was mentioned in the Groovy Doom Dimension bio in the 40th Crossing Over Virtual Trading Card, released on July 5, 2018.
- On July 10, 2018, Tom Waltz posted Crossing Over Virtual Trading Card #41, Ray Stantz. 
- On page 14 of Ghostbusters Crossing Over Issue #5, Ray mentions he used to be a Boy Scout.
- Ray appears in the lower right side of Cover B of Ghostbusters Crossing Over Issue #6.
- Ray appears on Cover RI of Ghostbusters Crossing Over Issue #6.
- On Cover RI of Ghostbusters Crossing Over Issue #7, Ray is featured.
- Ray appears on Cover B of Ghostbusters Crossing Over Issue #8.
- Ray appears on IDW Convention Variant cover of 35th Anniversary: Ghostbusters.
- "Personally, I liked the university. They gave us money and facilities. We didn't have to produce anything! You've never been out of college. You don't know what it's like out there. I've worked in the private sector. They expect results."
- "Ungrateful little yuppie larva. After everything we did for this city."
- "Let's see if he wants s'more? Get it! I'm funny too, you know!"
Secondary Canon Appearances
- Ghost Busted (manga)
- Chapter 1
- Chapter 3
- Chapter 5
- Chapter 6
- IDW Comics
- "The Other Side 1"
- "The Other Side 2"
- "The Other Side 3"
- "The Other Side 4"
- "Displaced Aggression 1"
- "Displaced Aggression 2"
- "Displaced Aggression 3"
- "Displaced Aggression 4"
- "Past, Present, and Future"
- "Tainted Love"
- "What in Samhain Just Happened?!"
- "Guess What's Coming to Dinner?"
- "Ghostbusters: Infestation 1"
- "Ghostbusters: Infestation 2"
- Volume One
- Volume Two
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Ghostbusters
- Ghostbusters Get Real
- Ghostbusters Annual 2015
- "Daydreams and Nightmares!"
- "Just a Peek"
- "Hot Foot"
- Volume 3
- Ghostbusters International #1
- Ready to Believe Everyone
- Mentioned in Haunted America Case File
- Ghostbusters International #2
- Benvenuti A Venezia
- Mentioned on page 23 in Haunted America Case File
- Ghostbusters International #3
- Ghostbusters International #4
- The Plot Thickens
- Haunted America Case Files
- Mentioned on page 23 in Spectral Incident Report
- Ghostbusters International #5
- Ghostbusters International #6
- Ghostbusters International #7
- Part 7
- Haunted America Case Files
- Ghostbusters International #8
- Ghostbusters International #9
- Part 9
- Haunted America Case Files
- Ghostbusters International #10
- Ghostbusters International #11
- Ghostbusters International #1
- Ghostbusters Annual 2017
- Where Winston Was
- Haunted America: A Prairie Hell Companion
- Mentioned by Melanie on page 17
- Mention by Peter on page 18
- Second City Ghostbusters
- Mentioned by Rookie on page 29
- Ghostbusters 101 Prelude
- The Origins of Slimer
- Answering The Call
- Ghostbusters 101
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles/Ghostbusters Volume 2
- Ghostbusters Annual 2018
- Ghostbusters Crossing Over
- Ghostbusters IDW 20/20
- IDW 20/20 (Dimension 50-S version only)
- 35th Anniversary: Ghostbusters
- Insight Editions
- Tobin's Spirit Guide
- Section I: Ghosts of New York
- Mentioned on Page 22.
- Section II: Assorted Apparitions
- Mentioned on Page 30.
- Section IV: Gods and Major Demons
- Mentioned on Page 64.
- Section V: Gozer
- Mentioned on Page 94.
- Section I: Ghosts of New York
- Tobin's Spirit Guide
- IDW Comics
- ↑ GBTVGReferenceMortgage.jpg
- ↑ Ray Stantz (2019). IDW Comics- "Ghostbusters 35th Anniversary: Ghostbusters" (2019) (Comic p.6). Ray Stantz says: "Don't you remember Professor Tonick's Esoteric Literature Class Freshman Year?"
- ↑ TomWaltz Tweet 5/17/18
- ↑ Ray Stantz (2017). IDW Comics- "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles/Ghostbusters Volume 2 Issue #1" (2017) (Comic p.9). Ray Stantz says: "You know you remind me a little of my nephew. Heart on his sleeve, but so worried about so much he just sounded angry all the time. My sister asked Peter to talk to him once, as a psychologist. Pete wound up with a black eye and WHOOOAAAH--"
- ↑ TomWaltz Tweet 7/10/18Virtual Trading Card reads: "Like EGON SPENGLER, Stantz is a renaissance man, well-learned in more disciplines that he actually holds a degree in."
- ↑ TomWaltz Tweet 7/10/18Virtual Trading Card reads: "DEGREES: PhD in parapsychology."
- ↑ TomWaltz Tweet 7/10/18Virtual Trading Card reads: "Together, the two men conceived of and built all of the Ghostbusting equipment, starting with the PKE meter."
- ↑ Peter Venkman (2014). IDW Comics- "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles/Ghostbusters Issue #1" (2014) (Comic p.12). Peter says: "Sides, you and Egon built a big, expensive toy to warn us if bad vibes were in the air, right?"
- ↑ Winston Zeddemore (2014). IDW Comics- "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles/Ghostbusters Issue #1" (2014) (Comic p.13). Winston says: "'Rays says 'Fallout from a dimensional breach.'"
- ↑ Shay, Don (November 1985). Making Ghostbusters, p. 9. New York Zoetrope, New York NY USA, ISBN 0918432685. Harold Ramis says: "Then it's always useful to have a mechanic -- a nuts and bolts person -- honest, straight-ahead, enthusiastic. And that really worked for Dan."
- ↑ GBTVGReferenceRayStantzRV01.jpg
- ↑ Mueller, Richard (August 1985). "Ghostbusters: The Supernatural Spectacular," p. 45. Tor Books, New York NY USA, ISBN 0812585984.
- ↑ Mueller, Richard (August 1985). "Ghostbusters: The Supernatural Spectacular," p. 45. Tor Books, New York NY USA, ISBN 0812585984.
- ↑ Mueller, Richard (August 1985). "Ghostbusters: The Supernatural Spectacular," p. 47. Tor Books, New York NY USA, ISBN 0812585984.
- ↑ Mueller, Richard (August 1985). "Ghostbusters: The Supernatural Spectacular," p. 47. Tor Books, New York NY USA, ISBN 0812585984.
- ↑ Mueller, Richard (August 1985). "Ghostbusters: The Supernatural Spectacular," p. 45. Tor Books, New York NY USA, ISBN 0812585984.
- ↑ Mueller, Richard (August 1985). "Ghostbusters: The Supernatural Spectacular," p. 48. Tor Books, New York NY USA, ISBN 0812585984.
- ↑ Mueller, Richard (August 1985). "Ghostbusters: The Supernatural Spectacular," p. 50. Tor Books, New York NY USA, ISBN 0812585984.
- ↑ Mueller, Richard (August 1985). "Ghostbusters: The Supernatural Spectacular," pp. 49-50. Tor Books, New York NY USA, ISBN 0812585984.
- ↑ Aykroyd, Dan & Ramis, Harold (1988). Ghostbusters II (August 5, 1988 Draft) (Script p. 20). "Ray Stantz says: "No, Venkman! Absolutely not! Completely and totally out of the question."
- ↑ Aykroyd, Dan & Ramis, Harold (1988). Ghostbusters II (August 5, 1988 Draft) (Script p. 21). "Ray Stantz says: "I had every penny invested in Ghostbusters. You had nothing. Between the fines and the lawsuits I lost everything."
- ↑ Aykroyd, Dan & Ramis, Harold (1988). Ghostbusters II (August 5, 1988 Draft) (Script p. 21). "Ray Stantz says: "This bookstore is all I have."
- ↑ Aykroyd, Dan & Ramis, Harold (1988). Ghostbusters II (August 5, 1988 Draft) (Script p. 27). "Paragraph reads: "He starts jackhammering a hole in the middle of the street. Venkman and Spengler wait with pick and shovel to clear the rubble."
- ↑ Aykroyd, Dan & Ramis, Harold (1988). Ghostbusters II (August 5, 1988 Draft) (Script p. 40). "Paragraph reads: "Finally, Ray sees his chance and pops open the traps which emit inverted pyramids of light energy."
- ↑ 2/27/89 Script Page 109 via Spook Central
- ↑ Aykroyd, Dan & Ramis, Harold (1988). Ghostbusters II (August 5, 1988 Draft) (Script p. 97). "Ray Stantz says: "My great-grandparents were Swiss."
- ↑ Mr. Spektor; After Checking Out the Library, Firehouse 2nd Floor Answering Machine Message 4 of 13 (2009). Ghostbusters: The Video Game (Realistic Versions) - Firehouse (2009) (PC/PS3/Xbox 360). Terminal Reality. Mr. Spektor says: "This is Mr. Spektor at the Public Library. Who do we contact to remove the black goo from all over our break room? Please get back to us soon. It seems to be talking to us. And we think it's stealing money from the vending machines. Also, Mr. Stantz still has a number of books checked out that are overdue. The current fine is $417.42. ...Please, we just want them back."
- ↑ Peter Venkman (2011). IDW Comics- "Ghostbusters: Infestation Issue #1" (2011) (Comic p.3). Peter says: "And let's not forget your last set of calculations almost sank Coney Island!"
- ↑ Ray Stantz (2011). IDW Comics- "Ghostbusters: Infestation Issue #1" (2011) (Comic p.3). Ray says: "My grandmother always said that 'Almost only' counts in horseshoes and hand grenades."
- ↑ Peter Venkman (2011). IDW Comics- "Ghostbusters: Infestation Issue #2" (2011) (Comic p.7). Peter says: "Oh, please. You built it because you thought it'd be cool."
- ↑ Ray Stantz (2014). IDW Comics- "Ghostbusters Volume 2 Issue #14" (2014) (Comic p.8). Ray says: "Belo Horizonte. Saw a car coast uphill."
- ↑ Tiyah Zeddemore (2014). IDW Comics- "Ghostbusters Volume 2 Issue #14" (2014) (Comic p.18). Tiyah says: "Ray gave it to me as a birthday gift - calls it a Ghost Taser."
- ↑ Peter Venkman (2016). IDW Comics- "Ghostbusters International #5" (2016) (Comic p.7). Peter Venkman says: "How Egon and Ray used to be convinced that Louvre was engineered to be some kind of primitive French Containment Unit."
- ↑ Winston Zeddemore (2016). IDW Comics- "Ghostbusters International #5" (2016) (Comic p.7). Winston Zeddemore says: "That was the Eiffel Tower, man."
- ↑ Egon Spengler (2016). IDW Comics- "Ghostbusters International #6" (2016) (Comic p.8). Egon Spengler says: "I wish Ray was here. He's got a better grasp of the lore in this part of the world."
- ↑ Ray Stantz (2016). IDW Comics- "Ghostbusters International #7" (2016) (Comic p.4). Ray says: "And I spent a month with my nose in a book just to scratch the surface of the Sluagh..."
- ↑ Egon Spengler (2016). IDW Comics- "Ghostbusters International #7" (2016) (Comic p.17). Egon Spengler says: "Going over the data from recent encounters resulted in an epiphany in regards to Ray's Psychokinetic Defibrillator."
- ↑ 101 Class Notes (2017). IDW Comics- "Ghostbusters 101 #5" (2017) (Comic p.23). 101 Class Notes reads: "Tobin's Spirit Guide is so in depth, Dr. Spengler and I have begun on working on a condensed version - updated to include specific information from our cases -- to attract the interest of mainstream audiences, and ease them into the topic. Copies will, of course, be made available to you as part of this program."
- ↑ Dapperpomade Tweet 11/7/17
- ↑ Winston Zeddemore (2017). IDW Comics- "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles/Ghostbusters Volume 2 Issue #2" (2017) (Comic p.17). Winston Zeddemore says: "Ray is addicted to Kung Fu Theater."
- ↑ Egon Spengler (2018). IDW Comics- "Ghostbusters Crossing Over Issue #1" (2018) (Comic p.4). Egon Spengler says: "I can tell, Ray, you talk slower when you're nervous."
- ↑ TomWaltz Tweet 4/26/18
- ↑ TomWaltz Tweet 5/3/18
- ↑ TomWaltz Tweet 5/17/18
- ↑ TomWaltz Tweet 6/28/18
- ↑ TomWaltz Tweet 7/3/18
- ↑ TomWaltz Tweet 7/5/18
- ↑ TomWaltz Tweet 7/10/18
- ↑ Kylie Griffin of 68-E (2018). IDW Comics- "Ghostbusters Crossing Over Issue #5" (2018) (Comic p.14). Kylie Griffin of 68-E says: "Wow. You must've been a Scout."
- ↑ Ray Stantz (2018). IDW Comics- "Ghostbusters Crossing Over Issue #5" (2018) (Comic p.14). Ray Stantz says: "As a matter of fact, I was."
- ↑ Spectral Incident Report (2016). IDW Comics- "Ghostbusters International #4" (2016) (Comic p.23). Spectral Incident Report reads: "I have resubmitted my request, along with recommendations and suggestions from Dr. Ray Stantz, for a paranormal training program connected to the bureau, and strongly urge its consideration."
- ↑ Narrator (2016). Insight Editions- "Tobin's Spirit Guide" (2016) (Book p.22). Paragraph reads: "Dr. Stantz nevertheless continues to monitor the site regularly."
- ↑ Narrator (2016). Insight Editions- "Tobin's Spirit Guide" (2016) (Book p.30). Paragraph reads: "We've had the opportunity to study the brainwaves of one individual contacted by a spirit guide: Dr. Ray Stantz, the coauthor of this book."
- ↑ Narrator (2016). Insight Editions- "Tobin's Spirit Guide" (2016) (Book p.64). Paragraph reads: "The Ghostbusters were able to prevent this from happening, but a furious Vigo, desperate for a host body, instead took possession of Dr. Stantz."
- ↑ Narrator (2016). Insight Editions- "Tobin's Spirit Guide" (2016) (Book p.81). Paragraph reads: "Unfortunately for Gozer, the form chosen by a stray thought of Dr. Stantz's---that of the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man (see the entry on page 90)---was not nearly as formidable as other forms he had previously taken."
- ↑ Narrator (2016). Insight Editions- "Tobin's Spirit Guide" (2016) (Book p.84). Paragraph reads: "Its attempts to pressure Dr. Stantz into selecting a new form for Gozer were thwarted by the arrival of the other Ghostbusters, however, and Idulnas was dispersed by the concentrated blast of a proton grenade."
- ↑ Narrator (2016). Insight Editions- "Tobin's Spirit Guide" (2016) (Book p.90). Paragraph reads: "Dr. Venkman recommended we clear our minds and not give an answer, but, as a god, Gozer was able to look into our minds anyway and pull from them the strongest image---in this case, Dr. Stantz's childhood memory of roasting Stay Puft marshmallows at Camp Waconda."
- ↑ Narrator (2016). Insight Editions- "Tobin's Spirit Guide" (2016) (Book p.94). Paragraph reads: "When Dr. Stantz first broached the subject of adapting and abridging Tobin's Spirit Guide, I admit that my initial response was hesitation; as Dr. Statnz noted in his introduction, selecting the content for an abridged version would (and did) take a significant amount of our downtime, which is in short supply as it is."