I am Vinz, Vinz Clortho, Keymaster of Gozer...Volguus Zildrohoar, Lord of the Seboullia. Are you the Gatekeeper?Louis possessed by Vinz; Ghostbusters
Vinz in the Primary Canon is developed from Ghostbusters (1984) and Ghostbusters: Afterlife. Vinz (prime) appear in the IDW Comic Series, a Secondary Canon, which follows Ghostbusters (1984) and also includes Tobin's Spirit Guide (Insight Editions).
Primary Canon History
Vinz Clortho, a minion of the god known as Gozer, was worshiped as a demigod by the Sumerians, Mesopotamians and Hittites in 6000 BC. It was believed the souls of the dead were ruled by Gozer and protected by a powerful Gatekeeper and Keymaster but in order for Gozer to rise up and walk the human plane again, Gatekeeper and Keymaster had to assume the form of beasts. Vinz was one of the entities recorded in Tobin's Spirit Guide, including illustrations of its Terror Dog form.
In 1984, Vinz Clortho first appeared at Dana Barrett's apartment as she returned home with groceries. Vinz Clortho appeared inside her refrigerator, the contents of which were replaced by another dimension also inhabited by the Temple of Gozer and Zuul. Vinz Clortho growled out for Zuul. When Dana noticed it, causing her to scream in horror, slam the fridge door shut and seek the Ghostbusters for help days later. Vinz Clortho manifested on Earth in a couple weeks later, on a Thursday night, after Zuul, on the roof of 550 Central Park West as a large horned beast with vicious red eyes known as a Terror Dog. It ended on up on Louis's bed and waited for him. It growled softly as he finally opened the door, but he didn't notice it. He threw Ted and Annette Fleming's coats toward his bed and it happened to land on Vinz's head. After Louis asked if anyone want to play Parcheesi, everyone heard a growl. Confused as well, Louis turned and said, "Okay, who brought the dog?", apparently under the impression that one of his guests had somehow managed to smuggle their pet into the party. Vinz burst out from Louis Tully's bedroom during the party he was holding for his clients. He landed right on the refreshment table, demolishing it completely. The guests screamed, scattered, and cowered as Vinz focused its attention on Louis. Louis also screamed then fled out into the hall . Outside, Louis ran to the elevator as Vinz came barrelling through his apartment door as well with a loud crash, also managing to damage the door directly opposite. The elevator arrived and Louis got in and pressed the button for the ground floor just as a door down the hall opened and an elderly woman came out to investigate the commotion. Upon spotting the hellhound crouched outside, the old dear exclaimed in shock and wisely hotfooted it back inside to call the police.
Vinz Clortho ran out the building. He knocked the Doorman over but avoided contact with a nearby couple narrowly. The husband clutched his wife. Vinz ran across the street. A taxi braked in the left lane. Vinz hopped over the wall into Central Park. Vinz Clortho caught up to him and cornered him at the Tavern on the Green. Louis tried to talk to him like a person to a regular dog and frantically checked his pocket for a Milk-Bone. Vinz Clortho growled. Louis screamed in terror then slid down to the ground and fainted. Vinz possessed Louis while the people inside Tavern on the Green resumed their discussions. While possessing Louis's body, Vinz was able to speak, but not coherently and was in a disoriented state. He took on the identity of The Keymaster and immediately sought out Zuul the Gatekeeper, another minion of Gozer who had possessed the body of Dana Barrett, Louis's neighbor and not so secret crush. Louis/Vinz emerged from the southern part of Central Park at the Merchant's Gate and entered Columbus Circle. Louis stated he was the Keymaster. A woman shrieked "Ah!" A man held her as Louis scampered by. Louis stated "The Destructor" was coming then also called it "The Traveler" and "The Destroyer." He paused near the performers and looked around. A horse was heard nearby. Louis perked up and mistook the horse for The Gatekeeper. Louis approached a white horse attached to a coach and started talking to it. He introduced himself as Vinz Clortho, Keymaster of Gozer, Volguus Zildrohar, Lord of the Sebouillia. He asked the horse if it was the Gatekeeper. The Coachman got Louis's attention and remarked the horse pulled the wagon but he made the deals. He asked Louis if he wanted a ride. Louis's eyes flared red. He was clearly possessed by Vinz Clortho. The coachman was surprised. The horse turned and looked at Louis. His eyes returned to normal. Louis leaned in closer to the horse and told it to wait for the sign then all prisoners will be released. Louis ran off, plowing right through a woman's bags as she looked in a trash can. She yelled at him. Louis yelled humanity will perish in flame. He yelled for the Gatekeeper.
In search of The Gatekeeper, he was arrested by the police for harassing random people. He was placed in a straight jacket. The police were concerned with placing him in regular lock up and Bellevue Hospital refused to take in Vinz. They went to the Firehouse. Louis wearily asked Egon Spengler if he was the Gatekeeper. Egon scanned Louis with the P.K.E. Meter and watched as the readings quickly surged. Egon turned it off and turned to the Police Sergeant and suggested they better bring him into the Firehouse. The sergeant nodded. Janine Melnitz wrapped around one of his arms as they walked back to the Firehouse. The officer inside and the sergeant lifted Louis, as he stood in place, out of the van. Janine told Egon he was so kind to take care of that man and called him a real humanitarian. Egon remarked he do not think Louis was human. The police released him into the custody of Egon and Janine. Egon used the Aura Video-Analyzer and performed a scan of Vinz's brainwaves which revealed an image of the demonic Terror Dog's head on a screen hooked up to the device. While in Egon's custody the possessed Louis revealed his identity along with Gozer's plan. He stated he was Vinz Clortho, Keymaster of Gozer. Janine looked at Louis's wallet and told Egon his name was Louis Tully and he lived on Central Park West. Janine held the wallet out to Egon. He took it and looked at it. Louis mimicked Egon and also extended his arm to take it. Janine offered Louis some coffee. Louis asked Egon if he did. Egon told him, "Yes, have some." Louis repeated what Egon said. Janine made a face and walked over to the kitchen area. Egon recalled Vinz talked about waiting for a sign and asked him what the sign was. Louis answered it was the coming of Gozer in one of the pre-chosen forms. He reminisced about some of Gozer's past conquests. There was the Rectification of the Vuldronaii, when the Traveler came as a large and moving Torb. Egon looked towards Janine. He also recalled during the Third Reconciliation of the Last of the Meketrex Supplicants, they chose a new form for him, that of a giant Sloar. Janine looked back at Egon. Vinz chuckled at the thought of how many Shubs and Zulls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of a Sloar that day. Janine concluded there was something very strange about Louis. Louis sniffed a clear jar of popcorn as he rotated it. Janine admitted she was usually very psychic, and she had a terrible feeling that something awful was going to happen to Egon. Louis wiped his left cheek with a pizza slice. Janine revealed she believed he was going to die. She went into Egon's arms. He looked up and placed his right arm around her.
The phone rang. Louis jumped and looked around. Egon quickly picked up the phone. Louis picked up the base of the phone. Egon took it from him. The call was from Peter. Egon thanked Louis for his help. Peter informed Egon that Dana was saying she was the Gatekeeper and asked Egon if that made any sense to him. Egon revealed he just met the Keymaster. Louis lifted up the coffee pot. Louis took a drink. Peter thought that was wonderful and they should get them together. Louis with his mouth full, made an odd but cheery face at them. Egon thought that would be extraordinarily dangerous. Peter relented and advised Egon to hold onto the Keymaster and he would head back to the Firehouse. Egon liked the idea and placed the phone back on the receiver. Louis walked over and gave Egon a frying pan. Egon thanked him then turned to Janine and stressed they needed to find Ray and get him back immediately. Louis picked up a lamp and gave it to Egon. On Friday morning, the next day, Walter Peck arrived, before Egon could conduct one last test, and ordered the shut down of the Containment Unit. While Egon tried to explain the danger of doing that, Louis mimicked Egon's hand gestures. When he told Peter what Peck wanted to do, Louis grinned. He watched the Con Edison Man up close as he shut down the power. As the ghosts surged from a hole in the Firehouse' roof, Louis proclaimed that was the sign. Amid the confusion, Vinz managed to escape. He walked down White Street, walking east to West Broadway. He wandering seemingly aimlessly around the chaos, periodically looking up at the sky at the escaped ghosts, until arriving back at the Shandor Building. He walked past a subway tunnel entrance at Broadway & Murray Street. He bumped past an African-American man. He was offended but Louis kept walking up Broadway. At the same time Dana's balcony exploded, Louis paused in Duffy Sqare near the George M. Cohan statue. He crossed the street to the Shandor Building, went up to the twenty second floor and found The Gatekeeper, with whom he shared a passionate kiss at Dana Barrett's apartment. They ascended a secret stairwell leading up to the roof where some time later, they were finally able to mate, opening the gateway to an alternate dimension through which their master, Gozer would enter with the intent of destroying the world. Upon completion of the opening of the gateway Vinz, along with Zuul, transformed into their true demonic Terror Dog forms. After Gozer was defeated by the Ghostbusters, Vinz disappeared from this dimension and Louis Tully was transformed back into a human being, having no recollection of the events that took place since his and Dana's demonic possession.
One evening in summer 2021, Egon Spengler captured Vinz Clortho in a Trap and sped away from the Shandor Mining Company property in a company truck. Unable to trap Zuul, he hid the Trap containing Vinz in a secret space in the floor of his study at the Farmhouse. Several days later, Egon's ghost led his granddaughter Phoebe to it. She unwittingly tried to open the Trap with her friend Podcast and summer school science teacher Gary Grooberson. Gary used a school bus and jumper cables to attempt to get the Trap charged. Instead, Vinz was released. The spectral form of Vinz roared at Gary then flew towards the Shandor Mining Company property. As he flew by, the glass windows on Gary's car and both school buses shattered. Vinz entered the Shandor mine in its P.K.E wisp form and became dormant in a statue of itself for a little over one day.
Vinz broke out of its statue and in its wisp form, entered the Summerville Walmart where Gary was doing some shopping. Vinz shifted into its Terror Dog form, scared some people, and scarfed down on the contents of a bag of Purina Dog Chow. Gary encountered the Mini-Pufts and tried to make a hasty exit. Gary came out an aisle then froze. Vinz Clortho was across from him with his head in the dog food bag. Gary quietly backed up. The Mini-Pufts on a Roomba crashed into his shoe then drove on. Vinz lifted its head out of the bag and stared at Gary. Gary tried to talk to it but Vinz cut him off with a roar. Gary threw his Baskin-Robbins Jamoca container at Vinz's head and ran away, screaming. Vinz chased after him, knocking clothing racks aside, but he slid into some mannequins. He shook a mannequin arm off its head and resumed its pursuit. Gary ran out into the parking lot. Just when the automatic doors closed, Vinz burst through the glass a bit too fast and stuttered. Gary made it to his car. He jumped in headfirst through where the windshield used to be, sat up in the driver's seat and fumbled with his keys. Vinz stomped down on the hood. He snarled. The tires squealed and flattened. Vinz looked down at the tire then turned back, roared, and lunged at Gary. Vinz possessed Gary.
The next day, Vinz went back to the Shandor Mine and used a pipe wrench to move a Proton Cannon's trajectory away from the sacrificial death pit and used it to destroy one of the other cannons. The interdimensional crossrip continued to its intended end. Vinz rested on flat rock outside. Some time later, he looked up and saw Zuul, in possession of Callie, walking towards him. She morphed Callie's clothing into a shiny dress. Vinz quickly got up and briskly walked to her. He complimented her eyes. Zuul spoke in dog gibberish. He thanked her, took the flower off his ear and offered it. She ate it. They kissed passionately and proceeded with their ritual union. Zuul and Vinz walked hand in hand to the Temple of Gozer in the mine then took their places on each side of the stairs and raised their arms up. Gozerian lightning from the disturbance above the mine struck Zuul and Vinz and they transmogrified into their Terror Dog forms. Gozer climbed out of the sacrificial death pit, bisected Ivo Shandor, and greeted Zuul and Vinz. They hopped back to their places and Gozer sat on its throne.
Phoebe distracted Gozer with her jokes while Podcast remote-controlled the Remote Trap Vehicle underneath Zuul and trapped her The Terror Dog form dissipated, Callie was freed, and Gozer's power was split as it was not able to maintain its form without both Zuul and Vinz. With the Remote Trap Vehcile following Ecto-1 and Callie secured, Phoebe, Podcast and Trevor drove away from the Mine towards the Farmhouse in order to lure Gozer there. Vinz caught up to Ecto-1 in Summerville and attempted to retrieve the Trap containing Zuul. Podcast steered it to the sidewalk. Callie asked what that was. Trevor replied that was her boyfriend Gary. She took issue with "boyfriend." Vinz chased the Remote Trap Vehicle onto the sidewalk. He rammed into benches, tables, chairs, and newsstands before stumbling and tripping. Phoebe told her the Gatekeeper was in the Trap and her reunited with the Keymaster was bad. Callie was not catching on. Phoebe put a pin in it, pulled the lever, and moved outside on the gunner chair then she blasted Vinz. Vinz yelped. Podcast drove the Remote Trap Vehicle back into Ecto-1.
After returning to the Farmhouse, Phoebe stood near the porch and baited Gozer onto the dirt field by holding out the Trap holding Zuul. The plan failed, however, and Gozer used Lucky Domingo's Proton Stream to pull her away from the others. Vinz cut Lucky off from Phoebe and Callie, and Gozer seized the Trap. Gozer broke it open and freed Zuul. Zuul possessed Lucky and transformed again into her Terror Dog form. Zuul's restoration also allowed Gozer to reform. After Peter, Ray and Winston arrived, Peter taunted Gozer. Vinz attempted to charge forward, only to be stopped by Gozer. Zuul and Vinz could only watch on as the Ghostbusters, aided by Phoebe and the ghost of Egon, caught Gozer in a Proton Stream, and Trevor powered the Trap Field with the gunner seat's Proton Pack. With the Traps charged, Callie triggered them. Every entity on and around the property was captured, including Vinz. Vinz's body became a black husk. Mistaking Vinz for Zuul, Trevor pulled the head off, revealing Gary Trevor asked Gary if he was okay. Gary noted his hands hurt from galloping. During an exchange with Callie, Gary realized his head was bleeding from Vinz headbutting a park bench.
Secondary Canon History
IDW Comic Series
1000 years ago, give or take, as a protracted civil war between the Autobots and Decepticons came to an end on Cybertron when the former left the planet. The Decepticons were unable to pursue them due to the presence of Gozer, Zuul, and Vinz Clortho. Megatron, Shockwave, Soundwave, and Starscream approached the Temple of Gozer. After Gozer's counter offensive to Starscream's attack, Megatron declared he would deal with Gozer himself. Megatron walked up the temple stairs. Vinz charged and leaped at him. Megatron knocked him aside and asked Gozer why it came to his world. Gozer replied to came to end Cybertron and implored him to choose the form of their destruction. Vinz Clortho appeared at Gozer's side when he induced telepathic contact with Ray during the Tiamat incident.
Tertiary Canon History
Ghostbusters: The Board Game
"Ghost Card Information"
- To Hit: 4 or higher
- To Trap: Vinz Clortho cannot be Trapped.
- When Hit: Moves 1 space away from that Ghostbuster.
- When Missed: Moves 1 space at random, then 1 space towards that Ghostbuster, or towards Zuul if it is on the map.
- Fear - Ghostbusters adjacent to Vinz Clortho cannot take Actions.
- Vinz Clortho cannot move through obstacles or leave the map.
- Push- When Vinz Clortho moves into a Ghostbuster's space, they get Slimed and are moved 1 space in the same direction.
Side B: Vinz Clortho is a demigod and loyal minion to the Sumerian shape-shifting god of destruction, Gozer the Gozerian. Vinz Clortho, known as the Keymaster, and Zuul the Gatekeeper are harbingers of destruction and primary agents for summoning Gozer.
Vinz Clortho appears as a corporeal Terror Dog, which is a large, powerful demonic monster with two horms and glowing red eyes. Vinz is able to possess a human being as a vessel in order to complete the ritual needed to secure Gozer's arrival.
Ghostbusters: Afterlife ScARe
After the recruit obtained the lever for the Trap Field, Vinz Clortho burst from its statue shell and engaged the recruit, charging at them. During the fight, Clortho tagged in Zuul and vice versa before eventually being trapped.
Clortho was eventually freed from the Containment Unit by Gozer and participated in the climatic showdown, where it engaged the recruit while Gozer recovered. However, it was recaptured by the recruit using the Trap Field.
Vinz Clortho is a large, horned, dog-like beast with blazing eyes known as a Terror Dog.
As a Sentinel, Vinz becomes a spectral bipedal entity that can switch its legs for a ghost-like tail.
Unlike Zuul, Vinz Clortho is more dim-witted due to confusing the Gatekeeper with a horse while attempting to identify its partner. Vinz also repeats human behaviors and speech to mimic humans in close proximity, such as Egon.
Vinz can become reckless when it comes to capturing hosts, as it attacked Louis in full view of others at a party before chasing him out of the building and through an active street. Likewise, it caused collateral damage while chasing after Gary.
Vinz is assumed to be male because it has been shown to possess male hosts and its horns are noticeably longer than Zuul's.
Vinz has the power of possession and shape shifting. It has taken on the corporeal Terror Dog form, a spectral Sentinel form, and a P.K.E. wisp form. In conjunction with Zuul, he can open a portal that Gozer uses to cross over into the physical plane.
Secondary Canon Classification
IDW Comics/Insight Editions Classification
Tertiary Canon Classification
Ghostbusters: The Board Game Classification
Vinz Clortho is a Class 6.
Ghostbusters: Afterlife ScARe Classification
Vinz Clortho is a Class 7.
- "I am Vinz, Vinz Clortho, Keymaster of Gozer...Volguus Zildrohoar, Lord of the Seboullia. Are you the Gatekeeper?"
- "You will perish in flame! Soon as I find the Gatekeeper."
- "Gozer the Traveller, he will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. During the rectification of the Vuldronaii, the Traveller came as a large and moving Torb! Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the Meketrex Supplicants they chose a new form for him... that of a Giant Sloar! Many Shubs and Zulls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Sloar that day I can tell you."
- At one point, Vinz's design was short and dumpy around the time it was still thought John Candy would have the role of Louis Tully.
- John Bruno, effects art director, had the task of getting Ted and Annette Fleming's coats to land on Vinz Clortho. It took several tries.
- The sequence of Vinz Clortho bursting through Louis' bedroom door, landing on the buffet table and crashing through the apartment door into the hallway were postproduction blue-screen shots utilizing a small-scale stop-motion puppet animated frame by frame. The closeup shots and scenes where Vinz didn't walk, run or jump were filmed on the live-action set using the full-size articulated puppet.
- In early storyboards, Vinz' clumsiness was more emphasized. He was going to crash into another wall and cause bookshelves to fall over.
- For the scene where Vinz was in the hallway, a puppeteer was situated through the elevated floor under the puppet. The puppet's facial expressions were cable controlled by six operators working independently but in concert. They used the video camera in the foreground to gauge their actions.
- In the 8/5/1983 draft, the Police Sergeant admits it took him and seven officers to restrain the possessed Louis.
- In the 9/30/1983 draft, on page 81-82, the context for why Louis/Vinz got arrested is provided. On Seventh Avenue, Louis/Vinz asks a hooker if she is the Gatekeeper. Ignorant of the situation, she plays along and admits she is. Louis/Vinz then pounces on her. Mounted policeman who were observing Louis/Vinz dismount and proceed to pull him off.
- When Egon and Janine interview possessed Louis, they simply had Rick Moranis duck out and used a one of the rubber heads of a Terror Dog during the parts where the screen shows Vinz Clortho.
- While it seemed to be incoherent words, Vinz told the horse he believed to be Zuul, "Wait for the sign. Then all prisoners will be released." After the Ghostbusters' containment grid was shut off, Vinz can be heard saying, "This is it. This is the sign." This would suggest that the prisoners he mentioned before were the imprisoned ghost in the Containment Unit.
- In a deleted scene from the first movie, Louis suggests remembering having had sex with Dana Barrett while they were both under possession, to which Dana, unknowingly, believes untrue.
Ghostbusters: Afterlife Trivia
- When Gary Grooberson comes upon Vinz Clortho eating bags of dog food, Jason Reitman didn't think the sound the Vinz crunching the food sounded violent enough, so re-recording mixer Will Files added the sound of a lion eating an animal.
- Vinz eats from Purina Dog Chow Complete Adult with Real Chicken bags.
- Grooberson was about to call Vinz a nice doggie like Louis did in the first movie but is interrupted by a roar.
- For the Terror Dogs in Ghostbusters: Afterlife, re-recording mixer Will Files had work with sounds with low fidelity quality. Using the originals as a foundation, they edited it, augmented it, added their own voices pitched down to blend with the animal sounds.
- Vinz Clortho's clumsy exit was a callback to the first movie, Chapter 17: "Who Brought the Dog?", when he crashed Louis Tully's party.
- The crew studied various things for the Terror Dog's movements, including the Running of the Bulls and how the bulls regained their footing after smashing storefronts.
- Grooberson running to his car and Vinz catching up was a night shoot in the Deerfoot City Walmart parking lot.
- Like Louis Tully, Grooberson has an awkward moment before he is possessed. The weight of Vinz causes his tires to go flat.
- Possessed Grooberson is lying down in a pose mirroring possessed Dana in the first movie, Chapter 25: Working the Crowd.
- Possessed Callie and Grooberson's transformation into Terror Dogs mirrors Dana Barrett and Louis Tully's transformation in the first movie, Chapter 25: Working the Crowd.
- Unlike Louis Tully, Grooberson appears to recall his possession, at least to an extent, as he remembered what had happened before his transformation into Vinz's Terror Dog form.
- Afterlife ScARe and other merchandise for the film refer to Vinz Clortho's Sentinel form as a separate entity known as the "Sentinel Terror Dog".
Ghostbusters: The Video Game Trivia
- Vinz Clortho is referenced in Ghostbusters: The Video Game (Realistic Versions) in an audio recording found during the Museum of (Super)Natural History Level.
- The Temple of Gozer level pitch for Ghostbusters: The Video Game would have involved an appearance by Vinz Clortho.
IDW Comics Trivia
- On page 17 and 19 of Ghostbusters Issue #3, Vinz is referenced by Idulnas and in the Spates Catalog entry for Idulnas. It is said Idulnas' power surpassed that of Vinz Clortho.
- On Cover RI of Ghostbusters Volume 2 Issue #10, Vinz appears as part of a recreation of the "Then Die!" scene in the first movie.
- On page 12 of Ghostbusters 101 #6, in panel 4, on the left is the panel from the ATC team's Containment Unit that referenced Dana Barrett and Vinz Clortho in the 2016 movie.
- On page 3 of Ghostbusters Crossing Over Issue #1, on the far right is the Recent Ingestation screen with the D. Barrett and V. Clortho nod from Chapter 16 of the 2016 movie.
- Vinz appears on the IDW Convention Variant cover of 35th Anniversary: Ghostbusters.
- On page 6 of Ghostbusters Year One Issue #3, Peter alludes to Louis Tully and when Vinz Clortho chased him to the Tavern on the Green in Chapter 18: Terror on the Tavern.
Insight Editions Trivia
- On page 82 of Tobin's Spirit Guide, it is mentioned Vinz Clortho and Zuul are the most powerful members of their race.
Ghostbusters: The Computer Game Trivia
- In Ghostbusters: The Computer Game (David Crane), computer versions and the Sega Master System version have his possessed form represented on the map screen (as a key or a small male human depending on the version) wondering the streets til the PK Energy reaches 9999/red, which then he goes to the Zuul/Zule building. While not named, he is also represented as a Terror Dog on the final battle scene in all but the Atari 2600 version of the game. The NES and Master System versions have him spawning small energy balls to shoot at the player.
Ghostbusters: Legion Trivia
Ghostbusters: The Board Game Trivia
- On February 11, 2015, the 3rd stretch goal of Ghostbusters: The Board Game, $400,000, was introduced: Vinz Clortho.
- On February 12, 2015, Vinz Clortho was unlocked.
- On Vinz's character card in Ghostbusters: The Board Game
- The caption on the photograph quotes possessed Louis' "Yes, have some" line from the first movie when Janine offered him coffee
- The biography mentions Gozer and Zuul
- The caption on the photograph quotes possessed Louis' "Yes, have some" line from the first movie when Janine offered him coffee
Primary Canon Appearances
- Ghostbusters (1984)
- Chapter 07: Fried Eggs & Zuul
- Chapter 17: "Who Brought the Dog?"
- Chapter 18: Terror on the Tavern
- Chapter 19: Peter's Date with Zuul
- Mentioned by Dana Barrett (possessed by Zuul).
- Chapter 20: Keymaster
- Chapter 21: Out of Biz
- Chapter 23: Keeper Meets Master
- Chapter 25: Working the Crowd
- Chapter 26: Gozer
- Chapter 27: Stay Puft Man
- Chapter 28: Crossing Streams
- Ghostbusters: Afterlife
- Ghostbusters (1984)
Secondary Canon Appearances
- IDW Comics
- Ongoing Series
- Ghostbusters 101
- Transformers/Ghostbusters: Ghosts of Cybertron
- Ghostbusters Year One
- Insight Editions
Tertiary Canon Appearances
- Ghostbusters: Afterlife ScARe
- Episode 7: "Terror Unleashed"
- Episode 8: "Sumerian Showdown"
- IDW Comics (non-canonical to the prime continuity of IDW)
- Cryptozoic Entertainment
- Ghostbusters: The Computer Game (David Crane) All version except the Atari 2600 version
- Peter Venkman (1999). Ghostbusters - Chapter 14: Welcome Aboard (1984) (DVD ts. 43:33-43:39). Columbia Pictures. Peter says: "Well, the name 'Zuul' refers to a demigod worshiped around 6000 B.C. by the...what's that word?"
- Peter Venkman (1999). Ghostbusters - Chapter 14: Welcome Aboard (1984) (DVD ts. 43:41-43:44). Columbia Pictures. Peter says: "Hittites, Mesopotamians, and Sumerians."
- Dana Barrett (1999). Ghostbusters - Chapter 14: Welcome Aboard (1984) (DVD ts. 43:47-43:48). Columbia Pictures. Dana says: "Zuul was the minion of Gozer."
- Podcast (2022). Ghostbusters: Afterlife Chapter 6 (2021) (Blu-Ray ts. 37:58-38:25). Sony Pictures. Podcast says: "The Sumerians believed in a land of the dead, a dark and shadowy realm within the bowels of the earth. The souls of the dead are ruled by a mighty god, Gozer, and protected by a powerful Gatekeeper and Keymaster, in order that Gozer might rise up and walk the human plane again. The Gatekeeper and Keymaster must assume the form of beasts ."
- Phoebe Spengler (2022). Ghostbusters: Afterlife Chapter 14 (2021) (Blu-Ray ts. 01:30:47-01:30:50). Sony Pictures. Phoebe Spengler says: "She needs both of them. No Gatekeeper, no Gozer."
- Narrator (2016). Insight Editions- "Tobin's Spirit Guide" (2016) (Book p.82). Paragraph reads: "CLASS VII. FULLY CORPOREAL POSSESSORS."
- Shay, Don (November 1985). Making Ghostbusters, p. 117 annotation. New York Zoetrope, New York NY USA, ISBN 0918432685. Paragraph reads: "Robert Kline went so far as to devise separate concepts -- one rather svelte creature which would transform into Dana, played by an as yet unspecified actress; and a short dumpy one which would become Louis, played by John Candy."
- Shay, Don (November 1985). Making Ghostbusters, p. 114 annotation. New York Zoetrope, New York NY USA, ISBN 0918432685. Paragraph reads: "Getting the coats to land on the Terror Dogs head -- a job that fell to effects art director John Bruno -- proved to be more difficult than anticipated, requiring numerous repeat attempts before a successful shot was achieved."
- Shay, Don (November 1985). Making Ghostbusters, p. 114 annotation. New York Zoetrope, New York NY USA, ISBN 0918432685. Paragraph reads: "Three scenes in the sequence -- the Terror Dog bursting through the bedroom door, then landing on the buffet table and later crashing through the apartment door into the hallway -- were postproduction blue-screen shots utilizing a small-scale stop-motion puppet animated frame by frame. Closeups -- and other scenes where the creature was not required to walk, run or jump -- were achieved on the live-action set using the full-size articulated puppet."
- Shay, Don (November 1985). Making Ghostbusters, p. 120 annotation. New York Zoetrope, New York NY USA, ISBN 0918432685. Paragraph reads: "The clumsiness of the Terror Dogs was emphasized in some of the early boards, although many of the gags -- including a shot of it sliding into the wall and causing Louis' bookshelves to collapse -- were omitted prior to photography."
- Shay, Don (November 1985). Making Ghostbusters, p. 120 annotation. New York Zoetrope, New York NY USA, ISBN 0918432685. Paragraph reads: "Ivan Reitman coaches the Terror Dog in the apartment house corridor. Major motions were made by a puppeteer whose torso extended up through the elevated floor and into the dog. Facial articulations were cable-controlled by a half-dozen operators working independently, but in concert. The video camera in the foreground was used to that puppeteers below stage could gauge the results of their action on monitors."
- Aykroyd, Dan & Ramis, Harold (1983). Ghostbusters (First Draft August 5, 1983) (Script p. 88). Police Sergeant reads: "It took eight of us to restrain him."
- Aykroyd, Dan & Ramis, Harold (1983). Ghostbusters (Third Draft September 30, 1983) (Script p. 82). Line reads: "THE MOUNTED POLICEMEN They jump off their horses and rush over to pull Louis off the Hooker."
- Joe Medjuck (2005). Ghostbusters- Commentary (2005) (DVD ts. 1:01:24-1:01:44). Columbia TriStar Home Video. Joe Medjuck says: "We used that same um machinery we saw on Sigourney and as the camera moves across Rick ducked out and we put the head of one of those rubber dummies of the Terror Dog in so it would appear like that's what was inside of him. "
- Variety "How ‘Ghostbusters: Afterlife’ Pays Homage to the Original With Audio Easter Eggs" 11/24/2021 Article reads: "Files says that one of the first sounds heard when the characters are introduced in "Ghostbusters: Afterlife" is a terror dog crunching on dog food, but when Reitman heard the sound, it didn't seem violent enough for him. "What you’re hearing,” Files reveals, "is actually the sound of a lion eating an animal"."
- Variety "How ‘Ghostbusters: Afterlife’ Pays Homage to the Original With Audio Easter Eggs" 11/24/2021 Article reads: "Bringing back the terror dogs, also featured in the original, presented a greater challenge. When he came across the soundtrack, Files says, the quality was low fidelity. So he used the original effects as a foundation. "We found sounds and tried to guess what the sources were," he explains. "We guessed they were lions and tigers and started playing with them, augmenting them, and we also put our own voices in, pitched down to blend with the animal sounds"."
- IGN YouTube "Ghostbusters: Afterlife - Exclusive Trailer Breakdown with Director Jason Reitman" 09:31-09:44 7/26/2021 Jason Reitman says: "So one of the things we studied was the Running of the Bulls and the way those bulls will smash into storefronts and then find their footing again in the way their hooves lose traction on the bricks."
- World of Gozer Audio Displays; Board of Trustees area (2009). Ghostbusters: The Video Game (Realistic Versions) - Museum of (Super)Natural History Level (2009) (Video Game). Terminal Reality. Audio Display says: "Gozer the Destroyer became Gozer the Traveler, voyaging to multiple worlds and conquering them. In a key aspect of the legend, Gozer allowed one hero from each world to choose its own Destructor Form. Gozer would then manifest in the chosen form to destroy and conquer that world. Gozer gained access to each world via the coupling of two demigod ambassadors, a Keymaster and a Gatekeeper. History only reveals the names of two of these minions, Vinz Clortho and Zuul. It is believed there are many others. Gozer the Destroyer--"
- Reddit AMA "AMA with the developers of 2009's Ghostbusters: The Video Game!" 7/16/16 Drew Haworth says: "Temple of Gozer was a really cool level pitched by Lead Game Designer Steven Cluff that didn't make it into production. Both Zuul & Vinz Clortho made appearances."
- Narrator (2016). Insight Editions- "Tobin's Spirit Guide" (2016) (Book p.82). Paragraph reads: "The most powerful members of a race of other-dimensional, bearlike creatures that have sometimes been referred to as "terror dogs," Vinz Clortho and Zuul were possessing entities that could take over the bodies of any mortal species."
- Ghostbusters: The Board Game Update #5 2/11/15 "Okay... so she's a dog"
- Ghostbusters: The Board Game Update #7 2/12/15 "Vinz Clortho Unlocked!"
- Kylie Griffin (2014). IDW Comics- "Ghostbusters Volume 2 Issue #15" (2014) (Comic p.9). Kylie says: "He couldn't enter this dimension without followers paving the way, without securing a Keymaster and a Gatekeeper, without having a form chosen for him."
- Peter Venkman (2020). IDW Comics- "Ghostbusters Year One Issue #3" (2020) (Comic p.6). Peter Venkman says: "Walked a dog here or something."
- Narrator (2016). Insight Editions- "Tobin's Spirit Guide" (2016) (Book p.84). Paragraph reads: "Like Vinz Clortho and Zuul, it was capable of possessing a being and transmogrifying this host body into a form that matched its own demonic appearances."
- Narrator (2016). Insight Editions- "Tobin's Spirit Guide" (2016) (Book p.92). Paragraph reads: "The following information on Gozer's previous destructive forms is taken from an extended interview with Louis Tully (while possessed by the demonic presence known as Vinz Clortho, aka the Keymaster) and is presented for the sake of a more complete profile of Gozer."