On New Years Eve 1989, the Washington Square Ghost manifested at Victory Arch in Madison Square. Pedestrians abandoned their cars and with other bystanders ran off in the opposite direction from the giant ghost.
Behind the Scenes
Phil Tippett, a master stop-motion animator, was sought out to create the Washington Square Ghost. Luckily, Tippett was friends with Industrial Light and Magic and knew Pam Easley on the crew from "The Golden Child." Tippett agreed it as long as the ghost was only 160 frames long, it could be built based on an existing armature, and it would be done in one take. Tippett built the ghost with Randy Dutra, shot it, and delivered it one day early despite being injured in a car accident with his wife who was hospitalized. Tippett didn't want to be credited on account he was just doing one shot. The puppet was animated by Harry Walton, who also shared the camera work with Peter Kozachik. 
- In the movie, the ghost appears to only have one leg but he is often portrayed with two in media.
- Michael Gross noted the first choice for Dana Barrett's apartment was 1 Fifth Avenue. This would have allowed for a dramatic shot of the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man lumbering past the Washington Square monument arch in the first movie.
- The ghost now has a toy made after him by Diamond Select as part of their Minimates line.
- In 2016, the Washington Square Ghost puppet used in the movie went up for auction. It didn't sell however.
- ↑ Eisenberg, Adam (November 1989). Ghostbusters Revisited, Cinefex magazine #40, page 31, 33, 33 footnote. Cinefex, USA.
- ↑ Shay, Don (November 1985). Making Ghostbusters, p. 41 annotation. New York Zoetrope, New York NY USA, ISBN 0918432685. Paragraph reads: "Our first choice for the apartment building was 1 Fifth Avenue. Washington Sqaure is close by, and we felt it would have been very dramatic at the end for the Stay-Puft marshmallow man to lumber past the Washington Square monument arch."
- ↑ Prop Store Auction "Lot 63 of 485: GHOSTBUSTERS 2 - Washington Square Ghost Stop-Motion Puppet" 10/10/16-11/3/16