The Y-car is the latest model in Generous Motors' line. To make space for production, a sealed part of the factory was reopened and refurbished. The assembly line was constructed and Y-cars began to be made. However, that area was sealed 40 years ago because it contained Gremlins. The entities sabotaged each Y-car built. Each car would eventually blow up. Around the same time, Peter Venkman decided to buy a new car and settled on the Y-car. It self-destructed, too, and just as Peter vented his anger, the Ghostbusters got a call from Mr. Abernathy, the President of Generous Motors.
- Y-cars is a reference to the GM X-cars, including the Buick Skylark, Chevrolet Citation, Oldsmobile Omega and Pontiac Phoenix. These cars were subject of some of the most notorious recalls of the 1980s.
- Peter's license plate on his Y-Car is a vanity one and reads "Dr.V." 
- On page three of Ghostbusters International #7, in panel 1, there is non-canon reference on the car rental sign to Y-Car in the top right and to Peter's "Dr.V" license plate in the bottom left.
- Mr. Abernathy (2009). The Real Ghostbusters- Don't Forget the Motor City (1987) (DVD ts. 04:18-04:24). Time Life Entertainment. Mr. Abernathy says: "Yes, all of our new Y-Cars coming off the assembly are self-destructing for no reason."
- Y-car (2009).The Real Ghostbusters- "Don't Forget the Motor City" (1986) (DVD ts. 01:24-01:25). Time Life Entertainment.